Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Responding to distress calls never worth it?  (Read 19077 times)

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Responding to distress calls never worth it?
« on: April 22, 2017, 08:47:16 PM »

So far got several cases of 1500$ reward for 10 fuel. I burned much more to get there in every case:(

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Responding to distress calls never worth it?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2017, 08:48:37 PM »

Mine usually wind up getting me jumped by 3 pirate fleets as soon as I go in-system. I really think the whole thing isn't intended to be a case of the Good Samaritan, but more like a way to resupply. :v

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 08:57:22 PM »

If it's in wild space, you can get lots of fuel and supplies from destroying the pirate fleet that jumps you, possibly letting you explore an additional sector or two.
If you got good ships, fighting pirates is pretty safe most of the time, because they generally have slow ships, and you can just run away if you are outmatched.
Although, if you run into a high-tech pirate fleet with Hyperion or Afflictor, you're screwed.

kazi

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 12:18:13 AM »

I thought it was an actual distress call and got ganked  :P

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 08:21:17 AM »

My first distress call was genuine, but that I did not have enough fuel left for me to make it back to (core worlds) town after giving it to them.  (I did it anyway to see what would happen.)  The reward was puny.  Well, 10 fuel for $1,500 would be good, except I burned too much fuel going out of my way to see the distress signal, just like the OP.  I do not remember if I even got a reputation increase.

Distress calls as they are might be more worth it if they are more often than not a big pirate ambush.  I just got unlucky with a genuine distress call.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 08:37:35 AM »

One distress call I responded to in the outer rim, but by the time I got there all was left was a debris field and the beam of a pulsar blasting the inner system jump point. I thought it was really cool!

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2017, 08:42:05 AM »

I distressed called, and i had the only option of paying 20k.. 20k! I'd pay 5, 10, sure, but 20 is excessive.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 11:12:35 AM »

I distressed called, and i had the only option of paying 20k.. 20k! I'd pay 5, 10, sure, but 20 is excessive.
Yeah, especially how the AI gets to pay only 1.5K
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 11:40:59 AM »

Well if you don't pay, they do say they didn't expect you to be able to anyway on account of you're stranded lol which I like.
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Burlap

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 02:55:04 PM »

I like that you can thank people profusely instead of paying them, and there are reputation implications. Pretty cool interactions to have in the game, if you ask me.

I haven't been rescued too often, but they've always been indies, I wonder if a poor reputation with them would affect my chances of getting help.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2017, 12:59:05 AM »

Increase reward for a distress call?

Dragon239

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2017, 04:43:46 AM »

It'd probably be a decent idea for them to possibly grant rarer items, like a good modspec or survey data or something, depending on what the fleet was. Plus a bit more plain cash. Or whatever.
That way you see that "distress call" and you might go "oh boy, I wonder if I'll get something cool...or maybe get ambushed by a 3-fleet pirate force"?

Personally I've responded to 2 distress calls. The first was a pirate trap that I e-burned to escape (it was kind of exciting, made funn(i)er because I jumped in going "I bet this is a trap"), and the second was...as they are. Combined with the cost of having to redirect my fleet in hyperspace, I decided to not bother with distress calls anymore. Maybe a bit hasty, but meh.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2017, 05:04:07 AM »

One thing I might do is run with transponder off and if the stranded fleet is big enough is kill them.  Only problem, they may be neutral instead of independent, which means I probably get locked out of abandoned stations and the like.

Mini S

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2017, 06:04:51 AM »

One thing I might do is run with transponder off and if the stranded fleet is big enough is kill them.  Only problem, they may be neutral instead of independent, which means I probably get locked out of abandoned stations and the like.

Why would you need docking clearance to dock with an abandoned station?
More important who in an abandoned station would give docking clearances?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2017, 06:08:07 AM »

The game says so.  In earlier versions, some mods made it possible to make the neutrals angry, and game would not let you dock at abandoned stations.
Pages: [1] 2