Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: System wide bounties feel too short  (Read 4073 times)

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
System wide bounties feel too short
« on: April 21, 2017, 08:03:41 PM »

The very first bounty after the tutorial is useful, but after that, system wide bounties feel pretty useless to me because by the time you get there and search around for a fleet to kill, they are usually almost over. Easy fix is to make them last longer. I like the idea of making them tied to in game events more though. Maybe a pirate base is established in a system and there is a bounty until it is eliminated (with a bonus if the player eliminates it) or two factions go to war and there is a bounty in a hot system until hostilities cease. I'd rather have the system wide bounties be rarer, but worth spending time and resources to get to. Also an increase in hostile ships in that system would be nice, I'm not sure if this is implemented or not but it would work well if the bounties were tied to in game events.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: System wide bounties feel too short
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 10:52:50 PM »

Bounty hunting in general has been nerfed into the ground by the shear amount of systems for them to choose and the travel time as well. And to be honest, the game has gotten boring because of this as you have to fight the bounties to advance their level. IF you can catch them.
Oh and many times if you DO bounty hunt, you need to make a return trip to the Core because none of the outer rim systems have a relay... >.<
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2017, 04:50:12 AM »

Are we playing the same game? Bounties are worth tons more than they used to be, and I can usually snag 3-4 in unexplored space before returning to the core. Add to that they seem to be a lot more difficult now (maybe that's just me). I do however agree that system wide bounties are far too short.

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2017, 05:07:55 AM »

Billy Rueben:
I believe they are talking about "Bounty: The hegemony will pay 1,250 per kill of units hostile to Hegemony"

rather that "Wanted: The hegemony will pay 52,600 bounty for the elimination of George Blood Snot, the notorious pirate"

(I really think these different things should be listed with Wanted or Bounty tags in front on the intel screen so ppl will more naturally associate them to the different terms and avoid confusion)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 08:17:58 AM »

Billy Rueben:
I believe they are talking about "Bounty: The hegemony will pay 1,250 per kill of units hostile to Hegemony"

The OP is talking about system wide bounties, but Midnight was talking about the targeted bounties:
...make a return trip to the Core... >.<

The system wide bounties are kinda crap, but the ones where you need to leave populated space to hunt down fleets are solid, and I think they even give you a little too much money right now.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 08:15:14 PM »

Billy Rueben:

The OP is talking about system wide bounties, but Midnight was talking about the targeted bounties:
...make a return trip to the Core... >.<

The system wide bounties are kinda crap, but the ones where you need to leave populated space to hunt down fleets are solid, and I think they even give you a little too much money right now.
My biggest issue is that you need to return to civilization in order to get more, which means more fuel, supplies, credits and most importantly time wasted
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

sycspysycspy

• Commander
  • Translator of the Council of AL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2017, 08:44:40 PM »

agreeed, had hard time doing bounty too. first i go get enough supply at aztlan then get enough fuel to do a round trip at askonia and travel 10ish ~ 20ish days to the system where the dude is hiding. and find out he is too small to engage me... or he had a fun time with the bluish faction i could not recall the name and killed themselves. i still don't get the chance to poilot the onslaught i just bought after reaching lv 40 in 10ish hours cause any fight i encountered now can be easily resolved with one hammerhead one medusa 2 wolfs and 3 shepherds. i did not get any commssion, only do bounties and survey so far. perhaps the pirates are too weak now?
Please report any translation error to me with PM.
- I just went over to my bank account and figured out I can live comfortably without working for the rest of my life as long as I die on next Tuesday.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2017, 01:10:07 AM »

Bounty hunting in general has been nerfed into the ground by the shear amount of systems for them to choose and the travel time as well. And to be honest, the game has gotten boring because of this as you have to fight the bounties to advance their level. IF you can catch them.
Oh and many times if you DO bounty hunt, you need to make a return trip to the Core because none of the outer rim systems have a relay... >.<

This. This makes the early game in 0.8 far harder than previous versions given you need money to stay alive but can't get money without investing money you don't have (yet).
I really think altering the spawning behaviour for named bounties as follows would be p. helpful:
Starting bounties (30-70k) spawn actually in the core systems so they are easily accessible, allowing the player to "find thier legs" in a similar manner to 0.7.
From 80-100k they can spawn in the outskirts of the core, so in the new systems immediately adjacent.
And >100k they can spawn progressively further out.

System bounties seem a little underwhelming.
They are fairly frequent, but don't seem to pay out as much anymore. And one of two things will happen to render them useless:
No pirates will be around. As in none. Anywhere.
Or, there will be lots of pirates but in huge fleets or many smaller groups that eat everything they touch (so no friendly support) and are way way out of your league.

The other thing is that even with the tutorial fleet, most early bounties will run from you.
Which puts you in another awkward position.
Since you're flying almost 100% (D)s you need the extra support to fight anywhere near adequately, but you're so slow in the battlescape it's impossible to catch a fleeing ship that doesn't want to be caught.
(I tried flying a wing of frigates again, and I still have zero aptitude for it.
Frigates are just too twitchy and too fragile for me. :()

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2017, 02:36:53 AM »

Analyze derelict mission are much better starter than bounty hunting (system or personal).
They pay more than early bounties and don't involve fighting (you *could* do them with just single tanker, nothing can catch you due to sustained burn anyway).
Especially profitable if you get close cluster of 2-3 missions.

Later you can also combine several analyze missions and bounties into single trip.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2017, 02:47:39 AM »

Perhaps named bounties  should spawn closer to the core worlds, or even inside them (around uninhabited or pirate-controlled locations, like in the old days).

I mean, even if they're trying to lie low, why are they wandering off to the middle of nowhere where they have to support huge fleets out of internal resources, and prey rarely if ever comes along?

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2017, 10:47:35 AM »

1. Get supplies and fuel

2. Plot course to one with 25 or 30 more days left on them

3. Sustained burn your way there (they tell you what planet they are around)

4. Have Navagation 3 and chase down 10~20 days bounties starting from Jangala no problem.

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2017, 03:34:33 PM »

I haven't really had to much experience with pirate fleets, but I either see tiny ones, (1-4 frigates), or large ones (1 cruiser, 2-3 destroyers, some frigates). Not sure if 'm unlucky, but it would be nice if there was some in-between fleets.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2017, 10:09:01 PM »

The system wide bounties are kinda crap
+1; until we can actually take down Pirate Stations for fun, loot and Faction love, this whole thing feels pretty meh.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack