Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.8a RC19] Graphics Flickering  (Read 1637 times)

Mazuo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
[0.8a RC19] Graphics Flickering
« on: April 21, 2017, 07:43:54 PM »

Could be some quirk specific to my machine, but thought I'd drop a quick report on some odd flickering I've seen since playing with 0.8 and see if anyone else has noticed it.  I believe it's present rarely in any situation, but it's especially noticeable on a market screen where the planetary background and various items in inventory will stutter very briefly.  A little distracting but perfectly playable.

Using most recent drivers on a GTX 950 with Java 7 64-bit replaced into the install folder and non-fullscreen set to monitor native resolution.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 12:37:01 AM by Mazuo »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8a RC19] Minor Graphics Flickering
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 08:11:10 PM »

I've seen this reported before, yeah. Could you give it a try with fullscreen mode turned on to see if that makes a difference?

Jonlissla

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 10:49:42 PM »

I have the same issue in fact but it always occurs in combat for me, not on the campaign map or trade screen. A flash or streak of green or white suddenly appearing. I think changing to Fullscreen helped a bit, but it still occurs every now and then.

Since there are few graphical settings available I'm not sure how to troubleshoot it. Could it be a conflict from a leftover graphical mod like ShaderLib? It sounds extremelt unlikely though.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 11:09:55 PM »

In a Borderless window, and the game flickers for me at every stage - combat, campaign, text blobs, stations, even paused.  It's pretty serious, every dozen seconds or so the screen blinks, a white horizontal or vertical line of white pixels flickers, or a white rectangle of various sized flashes somewhere.  Fullscreen appears to fix *most* of it, but not all of it.  I still get the occasional flicker.

For the moment, I guess I can stick with fullscreen to mostly fix the issue.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Mazuo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8a RC19] Graphics Flickering
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 01:09:17 AM »

Seems about the same for me in either mode.  I get the random vertical lines too that just blip in and out almost before you saw they were there.  Some horizontal line distortion on the system map if you just let it sit there and stare.