Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.8a RC18] Basic tutorial blockable by player action  (Read 2303 times)

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
[0.8a RC18] Basic tutorial blockable by player action
« on: April 21, 2017, 01:36:01 PM »

Hello!

I re-ran the main menu tutorials just to see if anything had changed.  I noticed two issues in the basic tutorial, one of which blocked the tutorial from continuing:
  • The movement section of the tutorial suggested I use A and D to turn my ship, and shift-A and shift-D to turn my ship.  With the default control scheme, this is wrong - turn to cursor is on by default, so A and D strafe, and it's shift-A and D to turn.
  • There's a bit where you're explained you can fire your weapons, and shortly afterwards, a bit where you're asked to raise your shields.  Well, if you fire your weapons and destroy the enemy ship (BOOM! Such a satisfying explosion up close, I almost never get a chance to be this close and zoomed in game without taking terrible damage, so I did it for fun!) then... well, you raise your shields, and nothing happens.  The enemy ship is not refreshed, if you kill it at the right step (just before the shield step).  Playing through again, I know this is where it's -supposed- to start firing, but it can't do that if it's dead :).  This necessitates a restart.

Edit: Entirely unrelated but hoping this thread hasn't been read yet, apologies if this is a duplicate report: Electronic Warfare skill mentions that "a dedicated focus in electonic warfare", with no r in electonic.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 03:17:23 PM by Darloth »

DeMatt

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.8a RC18] Basic tutorial blockable by player action
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 05:57:10 PM »

• The movement section of the tutorial suggested I use A and D to turn my ship, and shift-A and shift-D to turn my ship.  With the default control scheme, this is wrong - turn to cursor is on by default, so A and D strafe, and it's shift-A and D to turn.
?  Default control scheme is A/D to turn, Shift-A/D to strafe-and-turn-to-cursor, and Q/E to strafe.  You can toggle "Invert strafe key" on (in the Settings tab), but by default it's off.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 06:08:55 PM »

Another sequence break: Getting traverse jump (yes it is possible) allows you to leave the system early
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 06:09:52 PM »

Just in general: I'm ok with the tutorial being breakable in various ways, as long as it's intentional on the part of the player.

DeMatt

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 10:43:19 PM »

Just in general: I'm ok with the tutorial being breakable in various ways, as long as it's intentional on the part of the player.
Ehhh... the campaign tutorial, sure, but the main-menu tutorials?

Maybe that part should be "okay, now that you know how to shoot guns, keep shooting until it's disabled, then until it's destroyed", and then reset to a fresh state for "okay, now here's what happens when you get shot".  Or even just an "oh dear, we needed that ship for the rest of the tutorial, press ESC and go back to the Main Menu to restart it".

Darloth

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2017, 12:57:30 AM »

For me turn to cursor was on by default and it claimed it reset all my settings to default... but, either way, the tutorial should ideally adapt.

And yes - I wouldn't have posted if I could sequence break a tutorial in a free-roam section, as long as it didn't lock out abilities, but in the most basic tutorial a person is presumably going to start first, I thought that being able to shoot the thing so much I couldn't progress seemed wrong :)