Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27

Author Topic: .8 feedback thread  (Read 104161 times)

Chaos Farseer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: .8 feedback thread
« Reply #195 on: April 30, 2017, 03:06:44 PM »

Salvaging:
(I maxed out the salvaging tree).
It annoys me that you need certain skills to salvage certain things. This should be a fleet setup thing where skills only help, but not enable.
I maxed out every skill in the salvaging tree. It allows for a new playstyle, but it costs you more interesting combat. (More interesting in terms of you missing skills that enable different combat experiences).

Level cap:
Hate it. I stopped playing once I reached level 40. I stop playing every game once there is no longer any progression. Allow me to reset my skillset, something like NG+, but keep everything else. Increase the level cap on the next run. Something you can buy ingame, a brain update or whatever. But don't force this level cap on me. I'm not going to start another game just to re-progress or try another playstyle. I just leave.
On Surveys, Alex wanted it so that you never need to scan something (successfully) more than once. However, it would be cool if certain survey ships added +5% to the maximum hazard rating you can survey, or something like that.

IIRC, you can mod the level cap somewhere in the game files.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 30, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »

Level cap:
Hate it. I stopped playing once I reached level 40. I stop playing every game once there is no longer any progression. Allow me to reset my skillset, something like NG+, but keep everything else. Increase the level cap on the next run. Something you can buy ingame, a brain update or whatever. But don't force this level cap on me. I'm not going to start another game just to re-progress or try another playstyle. I just leave.
I've been Level 40 for 5 cycles.  I'm in cycle 218 right now and I'm still playing my first save.  I'm fine with it. :P
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Shendao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 30, 2017, 03:14:08 PM »

Wrote that I haven't played the tutorial because it was confusing. Still valuable feedback for Alex, because things like that should be absolutely clear even without a tutorial.

Surveying, lets agree to disagree. I don't visit star systems twice, why would I? Boring. Surveying is something I do in addition to other tasks, for more benefits. But yes, percentage based surveying wouldn't work with the current system. Surveying is quit silly at the moment anyway. Why I'm the only one surveying? I'm not the only one salvaging, but absolutely no other captain / faction had the idea to survey? Not even planets within their own system? That doesn't make any sense in this universe. Selling data to only one party is also quit silly. Can't you copy data in this universe? I'm curious where Alex will take the industry play style. I'm just glad he himself has said that it's merely a placeholder.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 30, 2017, 03:17:09 PM »

Wrote that I haven't played the tutorial because it was confusing. Still valuable feedback for Alex, because things like that should be absolutely clear even without a tutorial.
The tutorial is there to clear things up.  If things were crystal clear, you wouldn't need a tutorial to begin with.  Starsector by nature is murky, so you *need* to play the tutorial to understand the basic mechanics or you're gonna flop hard.  Hell, I played the tutorial, and despite having been owned Starsector for more than five years now and not having actually played it in the past year (due to reasons), I still understood every step and didn't trip up on it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 03:18:45 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Shendao

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 30, 2017, 03:22:57 PM »

Level cap:
I've been Level 40 for 5 cycles.  I'm in cycle 218 right now and I'm still playing my first save.  I'm fine with it. :P

Different people like and dislike different things :)
But it's an unnecessary fun blockade for me and others who like progression. See no reason why this should stay in place. Who cares if you can max everything if you take enough time? Different progressions through the skill tree will still make for different playstyles and experiences. Games like Witcher 3 also cap skill points, but they allow you to re-skill. Really, don't have a cap or allow for reskilling. There's no benefit otherwise. But I'd argue against re-skill, because that would break game mechanics and lead to a stupid re-skill meta.

For the tutorial, again, it was absolutely confusing. I've read that I'm not the only one. Good tutorials are hard, really hard. This one would benefit from a very clear tutorial UI element. A simple box with checkboxes on the right side of the screen or something like that.

Drokkath

• Captain
  • Xenophilic Mutant Commando
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 30, 2017, 09:30:33 PM »

Level cap:

And that is one of the reasons why I myself use cheats in every singleplayer game so to bypass all the leveling and grinding and whatnot chores and by doing so save myself from anger and instead unleash my frustrations 10-fold on the NPC hostiles which is mandatory for me to keep my sanity, relaxation and enjoyability of a game in check.

Everyone has their own way of playstyle and it's fine by me, mine is just in a form of something opposite of ironman mode and easy mode as I prefer to literally wreck normal to hard AI/difficulty like it's a stroll through a park. The more punishing some AI factions get (looking at you Templars!) the more powerful my ships and weaponry get to unleash the sweet ecstasy of armageddon as I can't be arsed to have my adrenaline pumping for purely personal reasons.

And for the non-cheaters reading my post, just chill. I am "ruining my fun" for several reasons so go ahead (or not) and call me cheap, lazy or whatever, I'm done playing games like everyone else for about a decade now.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 09:50:25 PM by Drokkath »
For I dipt in to the future, far as my gazer eye could see; Saw the vision of the world, and all the wonder that would be.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 02, 2017, 02:35:53 PM »

Anyone else finding themselves greedily snatching up hullmods from markets like they were food, even if they have no use for them ever?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 02, 2017, 02:49:07 PM »

@Drokkath: Nobody here is criticizing your play stile. I'll just quote from the last time you went there:

I've always cheated in SP games and I always will, it's how I play my games and that's about it, anybody who thinks my choice of playing a game how I want is wrong or unfun as it is clearly fun for me for over a decade now and I prefer to avoid this "oh you shouldn't cheat" boll yotz, are we clear? Good. Because I'm having none of the anti-cheat arguments anymore as I'm too old for that dren.

Err... great?

Not sure why you feel the need to preemptively defend the way you prefer to play a singleplayer game, especially one that's still in development and offers all kinds of not-exactly-balanced mods (looking at you Knights Templar).
I'm mostly wondering because you made a somewhat similar post in that mod thread you necro'd, so maybe that's a personal issue on your part, as I have yet to see anyone in this forum trying to tell others how to play the game.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 02, 2017, 02:54:52 PM »

Anyone else finding themselves greedily snatching up hullmods from markets like they were food, even if they have no use for them ever?
I do, in addition to hoarding every weapon I earn and every ship I deem worth salvaging. They're trophies, I swear!

@Drokkath
Calm down, nobody's attacking anybody. I similarly don't like the hard cap and tried to circumvent it, buuut I've learned that some strange thing happens at level 47 and you can't progress past it (to max out everything you need lvl 97). Cheat Console Commands come in handy now.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 02, 2017, 03:06:16 PM »

I do, in addition to hoarding every weapon I earn and every ship I deem worth salvaging. They're trophies, I swear!

I love that there are derelict stations you can horde this stuff in too. Thanks for thinking of us chipmunks, Alex  :D
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 02, 2017, 03:08:38 PM »

@Shendao: Thanks for your feedback! Re: the tutorial, it would help to know what you found confusing.

... buuut I've learned that some strange thing happens at level 47 and you can't progress past it

Huh - that's weird, any more details? Seems to be working on my end.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 02, 2017, 03:12:26 PM »

the tutorial has a bunch of weird failure states that probably shouldn't exist.

granted it wasn't worth forestalling the update to fix or anything, just that if you deviate from the rails at all you get into an unwinnable scenario and you cannot leave. for instance:
if you don't salvage all the ships, you must restart
if you don't loot the gamma core, it disappears forever, must restart
if you spend a little too much money you can't crew the ships, restart
if you spend a little too long you'll run out of supplies, restart

it's no big deal but it took me three tries actually because i figured the game would handle these sorts of things, and it didn't.

Satirical

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 02, 2017, 03:24:55 PM »

I really liked the soft cap that we had before with the exponential exp requirements for levels, got around level 51 on my last save

Anyways IDK if you should tell the player that theres a cap at 40 or if there should be a way to reset some of your skills even though that won't really fit in the lore lol

Speaking of things that don't fit into the lore, maybe another use for AI cores could be to increase your player level or something (im sure someone has said something similar to that in this thread already)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 02, 2017, 03:33:30 PM »

I fought mostly bounties, and I hit the level cap before they ramped up to capitals (and before I got one myself).  I just fought several higher-end bounties and I have almost twice as much XP to hit the level cap.  I have not obtained enough excess wealth yet to fund an endgame fleet and enough tankers and fuel to search outer systems for Remnant battlestations.  (There is one relatively close, though).  I have not ventured beyond 20 light-years from any core world.

The level cap is nice, but it is too low and reached before I make it to endgame.  I would not mind a level 50 cap that I can have a few more skills and not just jam them all 42 into fleet and campaign only stuff.  Max Helmsmanship and other pilot-only skills is nice to have to feel fast, but it will not help me win better as long as I just point-and-click and watch fighters kill everything short of a Paragon easily, and I do not need skills to do that (although officer and fighter skills would probably make that more efficient).

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 02, 2017, 03:35:40 PM »

Right now respeccing is a bad fit for Starsector because you could invest into surveying and salvage skills, exhaust those sources of income making all the money you'll ever need, and then respec into combat skills. This will probably work differently eventually but right now it would allow you to eat your cake and have it too.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27