Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27

Author Topic: .8 feedback thread  (Read 103710 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: .8 feedback thread
« Reply #60 on: April 22, 2017, 05:11:25 PM »

>there are now black holes
>there's a very prominent event horizon
>it degrades CR when you get near it, ok cool
>go inside it
>you can actually fly back out of it
>you don't get trapped forever inside the event horizon and/or it deletes your save

MISSED OPPORTUNITY
VERY DISAPPOINTED
CHANGE POSTHASTE

otherwise it's p. gud though
You DO realize that these ships are doing FTL level speeds, right?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 22, 2017, 05:36:40 PM »

>go inside it
>you don't get trapped forever inside the event horizon and/or it deletes your save

MISSED OPPORTUNITY
VERY DISAPPOINTED
CHANGE POSTHASTE

!!! There's already a framework for this! The way flying into a sun pushes you out harder the closer you get with your ships angling into it to try & counteract the force, do the inverse for black holes; have the ship's burn away from it with their max speed getting to 0 until they get to their event horizon (not the, their, thrust/mass is unique to each ship and the point of no return is way earlier than tthatof light, which now that I think of it is 100x the speed of 1 burn or 100 farther in than the point of no return of a 1 burn fleet), at which point they won't stop running at full to keep themselves 'afloat' until you order them to leave the hole at which they, as long as sustained burn is free, sustained burn their way out. Note; balance the pull so you can sustained burn off of your regular burn's point of no return without hitting the Event Horizon (which deletes ships).
Would make for super cool gameplay, going dark in the gravity well of the dark giant, finding your low-burn 0-point & slowly circling the giant until you're on the same side as the bounty fleet was, then sensor bursting, getting dragged deeper as your ships scan for the bounty that they spot, deeper in the well s-burning to try to avoid you, but your burst lets you see their venture freighter is holding them back; they can't maintain as deep as you could so you order a sustained burn dive. As your engines fire up the bounty sees your engine profile, and they abandon their venture. Once the last of the supplies and crew are moved off board its engines are cut out and it falls into the black, and the fleet relaxes deeper into the gravity well than you can reach just in time to avoid an interception. The freighters in their fleet mean they could wait you out, but the dram tanker in your fleet, however, spells their doom. You order your emergency burn-drives fired; the hull begins to scream as the anti-matter piles spool up. They do the same and sink even further as you approach, wait out your emergency burn and rise back up far enough to switch back to sustained burn while you do the same. But, while they tend to their damaged ships, you order a second burn and dive back in.
As your fleet pulls alongside theirs it's clear they have no fuel left; you power up ballistics-- your missiles have no antimatter drives and beam weaponry doesn't work this close to an event horizon. Your fleet picks its way through them one by one. The ones with forward facing shields go first, as they can't turn about this close to the point of no return. The ones with Omni shields hold out longer but without fuel for an emergency burn they are ultimately helpless, and one by one they are pitched into the great void
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2017, 05:37:51 PM »

>go inside it

MISSED OPPORTUNITY
VERY DISAPPOINTED
CHANGE POSTHASTE

No they're not, each burn level is 1% lightspeed. Nothing reaches 100 burn, so no ftl. They just use hyperspace to make their sunlight speed get them farther
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2017, 05:51:37 PM »

I kinda suspect that it'll be the case but are frigates a total liability in battlestation fights? I imagine they'd just get lain waste to before they can even close in what with battlestations having super crazy long range.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2017, 06:08:59 PM »

>go inside it

MISSED OPPORTUNITY
VERY DISAPPOINTED
CHANGE POSTHASTE

not in normalspace which is where you encounter the event horizon

also afaik it won't matter anyway for most decent sized black holes, the event horizon for you will just be closer as far as i know

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2017, 08:00:27 PM »

I kinda suspect that it'll be the case but are frigates a total liability in battlestation fights? I imagine they'd just get lain waste to before they can even close in what with battlestations having super crazy long range.
Bricks. You want bricks and KE damage to fight them

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2017, 08:20:53 PM »

Dunno about other stations, but Piranhas eat domain motherships alive.

NightfallGemini

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2017, 08:54:11 PM »

Stations get dunked by masses of Claws and Kopesh bombers with some cruiser backup in my experience.

Gennadios

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2017, 09:17:35 PM »

After bypassing the tutorial and putting about 8 hours into the update... I realised just how little fun I'm having.

I'm level 5 and only put points into the surveying and salvaging skills so far. My thoughts:

The new skills like go dark and burn are clearly meant to babysit the fleet and sneak around the sectors, but when traveling huge distances or through the ample amount of nebulae with no real autopilot for automatic evasion, trying to avoid the massive fleets of pirates in uncharted space is a chore.

Speaking of pirates, who'se supplying these a**holes? I need to bulk my fleet freighters and tankers just to make expeditions viable. Who handle's the pirates' logistics that lets them field fleets twice my size in deep space?

It seems like the only viable way to play right now is to go oldschool, ignore all the new content, and dump all my points into combat 0.7 style. I'm a bit disappoint.

EDIT:
Also, I noticed that following bigger fleets and joining in on their battles for brownie points isn't an option either. Large AI fleets tend to clump into firing lines, and when I do engage a lone ship surrounded by multiple smaller friendlies, they seem to stay way out of firing range, and don't press the advantage when I engage.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:22:34 PM by Gennadios »

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »

Hrrrmmm... if you're still level 5 after 8 hours, it sounds like you haven't really found anything yet? Domain probes and medium sized ships are fairly common, as are class 3 ish worlds. Class 5's are rare, but are worth a ton (and the experience from doing the survey is a level boost or two).

My experience from playing heavy survey/salvage is that I'm rolling in money within an hour and can quickly upgrade my fleet with multiple destroyers.

Dias Flac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 22, 2017, 09:54:57 PM »

Basically here's how I grease my wheels.

Step one-

Use your starter 30k to get a mid sized ship after pledging to the Heg. Smack around some small time pirate groups to level a little bit. Earn a bit of scratch on the side while nabbing some nice weapons from the pirates if you're lucky. Should give you enough levels to take care of basic savaging needs + fuel economy buffs from the tech tree to make space exploration a profitable endeavor.

Step two-

Do the explore missions for the drone pods and derelict ships. These missions can be a little bit dangerous but the pay isn't bad. Guaranteed to run into unexplored planets and such along the way so make sure you level up the surveying skill asap.

As soon as I have a decent contingent of ships under my command and a properly feathered nest I'll probably do more freelance exploration and bounty hunting. From there I can bankroll whatever  I need for the most part.

One thing about step 2. You may be venturing into hazardous or uninhabited environments. This can be exceedingly bad if you're short on fuel so make sure manage it carefully in hyperspace. I'm a tightwad so I never bring fuel tankers with me. For the sake of my sanity I've began to bring fuel tanks and freighters with me. For less than 100k you can have some nice fuel and cargo haulers.

Also don't forget to sell those A.I. Cores you get from the drone thingies. Get good rep and 10k credits a pop.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 22, 2017, 10:19:52 PM »

Also don't forget to sell those A.I. Cores you get from the drone thingies. Get good rep and 10k credits a pop.
Don't sell them to the markets. Give them to the station commanders for max profit and rep boost!

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dias Flac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2017, 10:22:05 PM »

That's what I meant by sell. HEG won't buy them in the open market anyway.

torbes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2017, 12:00:56 AM »

couple people have mentioned feeling like they use more fuel, just wanted to point out in hyperspace you use fuel based on burn level; sustained burn is causing you to use more fuel, it's a proportionate rate, so you're using more but getting there quicker. that might be why it feels like you're using more.

also agree with speed boost at 1% flux being not great, 5-10 would be better imho.

and the leadership player carrier vs fleet carrier point, player carrier should be 50% on the buffs.

i also think faction npc should buy survey data, like cores, keep the tariff or just lower the prices by 30% across the board, but i don't enjoy hanging on to them until i get to a high stability market and selling them for less feels wasteful.

very much enjoying it!  :D

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2017, 12:06:23 AM »

also agree with speed boost at 1% flux being not great, 5-10 would be better imho.

i also think faction npc should buy survey data, like cores, keep the tariff or just lower the prices by 30% across the board, but i don't enjoy hanging on to them until i get to a high stability market and selling them for less feels wasteful.
Agreed with both of these!

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 27