Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Combat in .8  (Read 1949 times)

blubullett

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Combat in .8
« on: April 20, 2017, 09:20:05 PM »

Is there any way to remove the requirement of using the mouse for combat?  I love top down shooters because the controls on them are usually super easy to use using just a keyboard so I can play them on my laptop.  It worked great for Escape Velocity and Endless Sky, which I consider the closest games to this one.  It even worked alright for the .7 version of this.  Now,  the ship always fires in the direction of the curser so I have to use the crappy touch pad on my laptop to fight anyone or my ship is shooting completely sideways.  Impossible.  I don't want to have to go sit in front of my desktop to play this game.  A top down shooter really doesn't need to be this complicated.  Please tell me I am overlooking something and there is a setting to help with this. 

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Combat in .8
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 09:27:24 PM »

Is there any way to remove the requirement of using the mouse for combat?  I love top down shooters because the controls on them are usually super easy to use using just a keyboard so I can play them on my laptop.  It worked great for Escape Velocity and Endless Sky, which I consider the closest games to this one.  It even worked alright for the .7 version of this.  Now,  the ship always fires in the direction of the curser so I have to use the crappy touch pad on my laptop to fight anyone or my ship is shooting completely sideways.  Impossible.  I don't want to have to go sit in front of my desktop to play this game.  A top down shooter really doesn't need to be this complicated.  Please tell me I am overlooking something and there is a setting to help with this. 
You can change that in the game settings option. Look for "turn to cursor"
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

blubullett

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 11:13:35 PM »

I was hoping I was an Idiot!! Yes!!  Thank you. 

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 11:15:35 PM »

I was hoping I was an Idiot!! Yes!!  Thank you. 
No problem!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too