Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Ship's Log of Salvage Dave's Final Mission  (Read 44061 times)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ship's Log of Salvage Dave's Final Mission
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2017, 12:17:12 PM »

It's not consumed, no. Regular salvage ops also carry no risk to crew or machinery.

Scavenging inside debris fields (i.e. using the "Scavenge" ability), being a more risky business, does not actually *require* crew or machinery - but carries a risk of losing small amounts of either. Having machinery mitigates the risk to crew.

Because it's hard work and the salvage crew needs to drink a lot of coffee, and sometimes those rugged orange coffeemakers break.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2017, 12:30:54 PM »

Scavenging inside debris fields (i.e. using the "Scavenge" ability), being a more risky business, does not actually *require* crew or machinery - but carries a risk of losing small amounts of either. Having machinery mitigates the risk to crew.
Speaking of that, do debris fields naturally spawn around planets?  Because in the map view of the Zeta Tar system, there's four places that have what looks like a thick belt of asteroids orbiting them, but don't have the dotted asteroid belt line to indicate they are such.  I can only assume they're debris fields, or maybe something else that hasn't been revealed.  If those are debris fields, can we Scavenge from them?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2017, 12:32:14 PM »

It's not consumed, no. Regular salvage ops also carry no risk to crew or machinery.

Because it's hard work and the salvage crew needs to drink a lot of coffee, and sometimes those rugged orange coffeemakers break.

I always thought of them as sewing machines... coffee maker fits a lot better though.

(I assume heavy machinery are meant to be 3D printers but... all I can think of are industrial-scale sewing machines.)

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2017, 12:35:32 PM »

Industrial grade Cappuccino machine, forged of the finest Grade-C Duralloy. (Patent pending, Cycle 205 Post Collapse)
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2017, 12:50:46 PM »

Hmm. We need a coffee beans commodity.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2017, 12:57:37 PM »

Hmm. We need a coffee beans commodity.
Meanwhile at Jangala...

Procurement contract: Deliver 1000 units of Premium Fresh Jangala Roasted Coffee Beans™ to Sindria within 60 days. $14,000 bonus for delivery within 30 days. $50 bonus for each unit of Tri-Tachyon™ Geneti-Coffee™ destroyed.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 01:09:34 PM by InventorRaccoon »

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2017, 01:15:48 PM »

I'm just glad that Keurig hasn't taken over the entire sector already; hate those things.

Procurement contract: Procure 5,000 tonnes of discarded keurig cups and get rid of the things somewhere; anywhere, as long as they don't clutter up any more L4 or L5 points.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2017, 01:17:13 PM »

I always thought of them as sewing machines... coffee maker fits a lot better though.

(I assume heavy machinery are meant to be 3D printers but... all I can think of are industrial-scale sewing machines.)

+1 to the sewing machine. I see the "coffee maker" now that its mentioned. In my head, despite its looks, I've always thought heavy machinery were some sort of hydraulic press.

Chronosfear

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2017, 01:20:37 PM »

Procurment contact : deliever Patch within the next 24 h for a happy community  8)

that hypetrain!!! *arrrrrr* runs away screaming.

Also very nice to read. Gives us a sweat peak inside.
But damn that Hegemony Truth Departement.
Well done sir . Well done
Be the change that you wish to see in the world.

My words are backed with nuclear weapons
Gandhi (Civ)

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2017, 02:05:17 PM »

+1 to the sewing machine. I see the "coffee maker" now that its mentioned. In my head, despite its looks, I've always thought heavy machinery were some sort of hydraulic press.

The image closely resembles a drill press. Yet even so, I always think of coffee maker.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2017, 02:07:10 PM »

Do debris fields usually only give a tiny handful of goods, as was shown in one of the screenies? 1-2 fuel/supply/machinery + a small stack of metal hardly seems worth the time. I'm gonna assume larger battles result in much juicer debris fields, ya?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2017, 02:15:08 PM »

Do debris fields usually only give a tiny handful of goods, as was shown in one of the screenies? 1-2 fuel/supply/machinery + a small stack of metal hardly seems worth the time. I'm gonna assume larger battles result in much juicer debris fields, ya?
Not sure how much we know about the Salvage ability, but I think it might depend on how long you're in the Debris cloud with the Salvage ability turned on.  Just going off a wild guess and I probably missed something Alex said.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Mini S

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2017, 02:27:23 PM »

Too bad Salvage Dave didn't make it back.  I wonder if that means anything for the future of how player death is handled...

Or did he? Maybe he's layin' low. Maybe he's just drifting among the stars, floating in a most peculiar way; and the stars look very different today...

I heard a rumor he might be somewhere close to bay 12...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2017, 02:29:50 PM »

It entirely depends on the debris field. You can also look through the same field multiple times, which yields greatly diminishing returns. As far as battle debris fields: yeah, larger battles yield more stuff in the debris.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2017, 03:14:19 PM »

It entirely depends on the debris field. You can also look through the same field multiple times, which yields greatly diminishing returns. As far as battle debris fields: yeah, larger battles yield more stuff in the debris.

I have no idea if this is what you were thinking, but I imagine that the rewards you can reap for exploring a debris field are similar materials and similar quantities you get from scuttling a ship. That's what seems to most closely match the scavenge shown.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8