Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Ship's Log of Salvage Dave's Final Mission  (Read 44046 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Ship's Log of Salvage Dave's Final Mission
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2017, 03:34:36 PM »

I was actually a bit shocked at how barren it was (and worried "oh god this is going to be the most boring blog post ever"). My experience in testing to this point has yielded a lot more junk floating around, on the whole. I did of course eventually stumble into some very nice and valuable stuff, just ... you know. REDACTED.
At least comparing it to Nexerelin, it's fairly interesting just to look at the map.  Lots of planets, asteroid belts, nebulae, and debris fields around planets (also; noticed that asteroid belts now have a nice dotted line to tell you they're an asteroid belt).  If the system was colonized, it might very well become more interesting.  Can't wait to see more of this exploration in action!

Too bad Salvage Dave didn't make it back.  I wonder if that means anything for the future of how player death is handled...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2017, 03:36:34 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2017, 03:40:47 PM »

Too bad Salvage Dave didn't make it back.  I wonder if that means anything for the future of how player death is handled...

Or did he? Maybe he's layin' low. Maybe he's just drifting among the stars, floating in a most peculiar way; and the stars look very different today...

Morgan Rue

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2017, 03:42:36 PM »

I really like the [REDACTED BY HEGEMONY COMSEC]
Dauntless.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2017, 03:43:27 PM »

Speaking of asteroid belts: Have they been improved so that they don't lag the system all to hell and back? I know from mods that high levels of them can REALLY drag down a game
Edit: You might want to update the "News" ticker on the top of the forum guys!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2017, 03:46:37 PM »

Speaking of asteroid belts: Have they been improved so that they don't lag the system all to hell and back? I know from mods that high levels of them can REALLY drag down a game

Hmm - I'd say it's a mod issue. It's pretty easy to add an irresponsibly large number of asteroid-entities to a belt in an effort to make it look denser. Their performance is pretty good for what they are, but if there's a metric ton of them, then that's a problem. I would suggest providing feedback to mod authors if you run into this.

Naturally, I could be wrong, and if it turns out to be an issue in vanilla as well, I'll take a look. But I haven't noticed it being a problem in any of the procgen systems so far.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2017, 03:53:33 PM »

Hmm - I'd say it's a mod issue. It's pretty easy to add an irresponsibly large number of asteroid-entities to a belt in an effort to make it look denser. Their performance is pretty good for what they are, but if there's a metric ton of them, then that's a problem. I would suggest providing feedback to mod authors if you run into this.

Naturally, I could be wrong, and if it turns out to be an issue in vanilla as well, I'll take a look. But I haven't noticed it being a problem in any of the procgen systems so far.
OK I was just making sure

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2017, 04:03:05 PM »

Defender-class and Picket-class. I suspect that they're automated AI defense ships.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2017, 04:06:09 PM »

Defender-class and Picket-class. I suspect that they're automated AI defense ships.

Aye, that's my thought.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2017, 04:21:21 PM »

That was a good read. And man, these distortion effects in the last images - let me just say, if atmospheric screen effects were an option, I'd definitely enable them!

I also like that skills can use special resources (volatiles in case of the tachyon detector), gives both more weight somehow.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2017, 04:23:26 PM »

I also like that skills can use special resources (volatiles in case of the tachyon detector), gives both more weight somehow.

Agreed. And the requirement for crew and heavy machinery in surveying mechanics... Finally, the sector's commodities have been given some form of context outside of the AI markets and civilian population! :D

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2017, 04:24:10 PM »

One issue I have with the neutrino detector is that it looks the same as the magnetic storms around some planets.
Also, has the lore changed to reflect the changes to being able to use a star's and gas giant's jump point? IIRC, you can use the star without any points and it states that it takes a very skilled captain to use one

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2017, 04:49:17 PM »

Damn good stuff and fun storytelling! One wonders how things went so badly for Salvage Dave when he and his crew had such success in the first battle against the REDACTED!

I was actually thinking of creating a forum topic in hopes of getting some general info from you guys on how the early game will flow in 0.8, so this blog post was just what the space doctor ordered!

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2017, 04:51:22 PM »

One issue I have with the neutrino detector is that it looks the same as the magnetic storms around some planets.
Eh, I think it looks distinct enough as not to screw with the player.  Although I wouldn't mind a redesign if it fits the theme of a neutrino detector.
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2017, 04:53:27 PM »

Salvage Dave, Salvage Dave,
Kinda foolish, and kinda brave,
Now he's in a, shallow grave.

That all sounds really promising. Abilities and skills using resources is great: tempting to set up some faction-specific goodies for faction-specific abilities.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2017, 05:01:35 PM »

I'm always one for interconnecting different bits of the game, and making it so Heavy Machinery, Volatiles, Crew, and probably other previously trade-only goods actually server a purpose outside of trading or basic fleet survival.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8