Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hi, all  (Read 4058 times)

Revenantus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Hi, all
« on: May 30, 2011, 11:52:00 AM »

I recently learned of Starfarer via a comment on RPS, and after viewing the alpha gameplay trailers and FAQ I immediately decided to pre-order. I'm a huge fan of sandbox games in general, and I was very excited to learn that an extensive and dynamic campaign layer is planned - I am primarily interested in how the combat system and campaign layer will complement each other.

Generally speaking, I very much like RTS and TBS games, but increasingly I find I derive much more enjoyment when the individual battles/engagements have context within a larger non-linear world. Knowing that the results of each battle, and even the individual actions within it, will have lasting effects makes the experience much more immersive. I am also a fan of Mount & Blade for this reason, that is, the interactions of the battle system and overall campaign system, though I am in no way suggesting that the actual battle system of Starfarer is similar to that of M&B!

Though I have only completed two of the current missions, I am very impressed by the combat system thus far. The highly detailed individual ships with multiple turret hard points, varied weaponry, specialized roles, and ability to damage individual sections are all great features. I look forward to seeing further development in this area, particularly regarding subsystem damage and the crew of the ship. I am not encouraging complexity for complexity's sake - I enjoy the varied combat, customization, and tactical options that can emerge naturally from the skillful modeling of these systems and their interactions with each other.

My one complaint regarding the combat is that often things become a bit too 'disordered' for my liking. I like to see clear battle lines and ship formations, with capital ships engaged in long-range slugging matches and fighter craft whizzing between - the limited complexity of the currently available orders make this very difficult to achieve. Having said this, I appreciate that the game is its very early stages, and I am aware that there is a great deal to look forward to in future updates!

Congratulations to the developers on their work so far. I look forward to more!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Hi, all
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 01:24:32 PM »

Hi, thanks for dropping by!

I hear what you're saying about battles having context within the world - having something more permanent at stake in the battle is going to add a lot.

About things become a bit disordered - like you mentioned, the current set of orders is insufficient, and we're planning to add more in the way of that. I don't think it'll ever be all neat and tidy, though - the ship captains have minds of their own, and aren't obedient RTS-style drones. Still, larger ships are slow enough that their presence lends some stability and shape to the battle, which is what I think you're looking for.

Much longer-term plans include using construction rigs to build defensive platforms around objectives and repair ships behind the lines - adding more in the way of structure to the fight, if you so choose. A carrier behind your lines repairing fighters also adds to that feeling of having some structure to your deployment.

These would be optional, though - you could choose to field those in your fleet and have a more deliberate approach to each fight, or go with attack ships and blitz the enemy in a more chaotic assault, or somewhere in between.