Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Favorite ship loadouts  (Read 16979 times)

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite ship loadouts
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2017, 05:28:59 PM »

For absolute mod Sunder Domination, take the XIV Sunder from S&W pack, stick the unstable Photon Cannon and Darkmatter Lances from Neutrino, and apply any missile selection you want. Mix in extended mags and an engine mod and congratulations - you have synthesized a ship that can pretty much shotgun anything cruiser size or smaller to death, while also being able to half-way withstand counter fire. Downside of course is the slow reload, but if you have back up ships this isn't an issue.

Also, never underestimate an SO enforcer with Heavy Machine Guns (Or Hailfire Chain guns from imperium; instant Bowling Ball of Death), or the THI Wujun with the SCY's Zone Scorcher (Removes missiles, fighters and frigates from a distance in a nice, effective, flux friendly package), or the traditional SO lasher with dual MGs, hammers and assault guns (The Original Broken SO build), or the NGO Freja with High Velocty Driver and IR Pulse Lasers with IPDAI (The Lounge Legend), or a Blackrock Karkinos with the Shadowyard's CAS heavy Assault Beam mixed with Templar Sentenia Assault cannons (Pin in place and erase; anything from Wolf to Onslaught), or an afflictor with reapers and expanded missile magazines (Nothing personal kid), or a Xu Battleship armed with 3 Templar Arondights (the ultimate Boss Killer), or an Archer with nothing but medium Sabot launchers (The Ultimate Middle Finger to Anything and Everything As Long As I Have Ammo), or a Sunder with High Intensity Laser and Graviton Beams with associated range mods (Drill baby, drill), or a SO Medusa with heavy Pulse Cannons (Effective Cruiser Removal), or a Diable Vapor with twin phase lances and twin light dart launchers (the Ultimate Frigate Hunter-Killer, works REALLY well in the hands of the AI), or a swarm of Neutrino Shwarms (Tank fps while applying the phrase 'Quantity has a quality all on it's own'). They're all gamey, and can be a bit risky but by golly they're fun.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2017, 06:59:59 PM »

Also, never underestimate an SO enforcer with Heavy Machine Guns (Or Hailfire Chain guns from imperium; instant Bowling Ball of Death)

"Bowling ball of death"

My favourite line of the day.  ;D

Philder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2017, 10:46:11 PM »

No Expanded mags?

I like the extra padding/survivability of extra flux cap and dissipation as a balanced approach, and hullmods to reduce supply costs of battle. The extra 1800dmg is nice but it only benefits the first strike or if you've been out of range for over 15 seconds. I feel that no Expanded Mags helps to limit engagement time as well as recovery time, which capitalizes on the Sunder's strength of high base flux stats. I'd probably go for Expanded Mags if I got to mid/late game, though, when that extra 1800dmg would mean taking a bigger chunk out of a cruiser or battlecruiser each time you or your AI engages. Unfortunately I haven't gotten that far, yet. :D

@AxleMC131, I haven't tried AMB's yet. I like the idea, though I think I would prefer the higher and constant damage over time of HBlasters. That 10 second wait between shots feels sooooo long when you need to finish someone off. Maybe Ion Pulsers would be a good alternative. I haven't tried them yet, though. Getting to that 450 range makes me feel uneasy with that 1.2 shield:flux ratio and 250 armor lol, and would dive you so much deeper to get into range that I think the HBlasters would end up doing just as much damage in the same given time (and be safer, to boot). Also, I like the Sabots for the potential of overloading your target and spending less time infront of an enemy that isn't yet full on flux. The Hblasters have high enough followup damage to take care of hull and armor, too. I wanted to try a Hblaster and Ion Beam combo though, so you can safely pummel away once you've striped off their shields.

Speaking of EMP, how does it affect missiles and fighters?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2017, 02:59:58 AM »

"Bowling ball of death"

My favourite line of the day.  ;D

I actually stole it off Helmut, when he went through and did a Vanilla run in starsector.

Haha, I'll have to look through that at some point - looks highly entertaining.  ;D

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 01:53:13 PM »

The "I can solo everything that does not has omni shields (and some of omnis too if abusing AI counts)" Revenant. If you don't go against archbishop autopulse laser works as well, but those crits are so good.
Spoiler
[close]
Sub-capital yolo killer Stenos, my favourite.
Spoiler
[close]
Sub-capital killer apparently somewhat okay Aurora setup (works in vanilla too, just exchange light masers for IR lasers).
Spoiler
[close]

RandomnessInc

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2017, 06:23:07 AM »

Actually the clarent he'll is quite flux efficient when it's on alternating fire, though it is absolutely spectacular when it fires them all at one, which somehow that ship's flux capacity can handle,

Remind me how much flux firing a single Clarent generates?
I think it is 2K. Maybe 3K

It's 2k
May the fry be with you.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 02:02:59 PM »

I enjoy this Mod Silverfish rig, a paragon of safety:
Spoiler
[close]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 02:07:00 PM by Soren »

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 08:58:48 PM »

I enjoy this Mod Silverfish rig, a paragon of safety:
Spoiler
[close]
Why. Just why. WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY WHY NOT
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2017, 11:59:33 PM »

Since I've seen so much of Safety Overrides, I thought I'd try my hand at it. This is my early-game SO "Blaster" Sunder which I've created for my current campaign play (with additional hullmods depending on your taste and skills). It's hella fun.  ;D

Spoiler

3x Mining Blaster (Alternating for flux reasons)
2x KIRB Launcher (Unguided kinetic rockets from The Silent Armada)
2x Light Dual MG
1x Vulcan Cannon

Went with extended shields here because I kept fighting pirates with Salamander-armed Condors and my engines kept being knocked out - no longer! 8)

[close]

starfarewell

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2017, 11:47:31 AM »

Ive played with a lot of different fleet compositions over the years, but I always keep coming back to outfitting ships with long range beams and using plenty of high end bombers and fighters. Ive also noticed most people think beam weapons are underpowered but they fit both my playstyle and the need to conserve fleets in starsector.

The biggest end game limitations are the number of officers you can have(10) and the maximum supply cost of fleets you can take into battle(usually 250-300) so that's what needs to be kept in mind when building the ideal fleet. My end game fleets are 8-10 Odysseys and 0-2 auroras with trident torpedo bombers and xyphos heavy fighters in a 3:2 bomber/fighter ratio. In a typical late game fleet battle I send out 15 tridents, 10 xyphos, 4-5 odyssey's and 0-1 aurora.

Spoiler
[close]
late game aurora load out with ideal officer(In the early/mid game before you get odysseys replace reinforced bulkheads and a few capacitors with augmented engines)

Spoiler
[close]
late game odyssey with ideal officer. The fastest, longest range capital in the game with some nice missile throwing and torpedo bomber resupplying abilities.

Spoiler
[close]
the good stuff...

Early on though the major problem is lack of funds and access to rare ships can sometimes be a problem as well. With that in mind the mainstay of my early fleets are sunders and gemini freighters with any auroras and high tech fighters and bombers I can scrounge up, along with gladius and warthog fighters as a decent early game substitute.

Spoiler
[close]
crushing capitals from 1500 range like it aint no thang. Graviton beams to strip the shields and a High intensity laser to vaporize armor and hull with an atropos torpedo coupe de grace.

Spoiler
[close]
versatile,cheap, easy to find, plenty of supply/fuel storage and a flight deck, dual flaks + pilum for support. Whats not to like?

The auroras and sunders are a very synergistic duo, auroras in this configuration dont do too well at taking down enemy cruisers but they melt the frigates and fighters that normally wreck sunders, and sunders do excellent work against the heavy stuff. As fleet battles get larger and more deadly though, the sunders fragility becomes a liability, not because you might lose an easily replaceable sunder, but because losing the sunder endangers the officer you're trying to level up on it, so sunders and gemini get replaced with oddysseys as they become available. Ive faced all sorts of vengeance fleets and 1,000,000 credit bounties and have yet to even lose a single capital ship using this composition. To add to the flavor, all the line ships use high energy focus as their special ability and all your main weapons(High Intensity Laser, Graviton Beam, Tactical Laser) have 1000 base range and 1:1 or better damage:flux ratios. Tri-Tachyon should be your best friends if you want to use this composition since they sell all the ships and weapons needed for it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 12:25:43 PM by starfarewell »

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2017, 04:45:17 PM »

@starfarewell I gotta say, I like your thinking there. ;)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 01:14:20 AM »

Beams aren't exactly bad, they are just unique in that you have to have enough of them. If you don't have enough beams, then their impact is minimal. If you do, unless you screw up you win most of the time due to enemy ships not being able to deal with long-range flux-dissipation-overpowering beam spam. Basically "I win button" against most ships.

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 04:03:39 AM »

Beams aren't exactly bad, they are just unique in that you have to have enough of them. If you don't have enough beams, then their impact is minimal. If you do, unless you screw up you win most of the time due to enemy ships not being able to deal with long-range flux-dissipation-overpowering beam spam. Basically "I win button" against most ships.
What makes beams unique is exactly what makes a beam-only loadout bad. No matter how much flux dissipation your opponent has or how efficient their shields are, one kinetic weapon will always contribute because it does hard flux. The same cannot be said of beams. With a beam-only loadout, you're basically just mashing your flux dissipation against their flux dissipation and whichever number is higher will eventually win, except that their number is divided by their shield efficiency and yours isn't, and they're dealing hard flux while you're dealing soft flux. Beam-only loadouts only work when you've already gained an advantage by other means, such as fleet size or character skill superiority (+30% OP on ships, etc.).

Beams as support for other weapons can work. The particular fleet being discussed has an absolute ton of Pulse Lasers and Atropos Torpedoes on the fighters, and I suspect those are doing most of the heavy lifting. I can't help but think that if you replaced the Odysseys with an Astral and a bunch of Autopulse Paragons, that fleet would be much more effective.

Also, that "ideal" Odyssey officer doesn't have Gunnery Implants and is missing out on +25% range. I'd recommend replacing Missile Specialization with Gunnery Implants; buffing your Pilums isn't necessary when you have that many HILs and Tridents.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2017, 05:57:29 AM »

Paragon can use beams only, and it's arguably the scariest loadout to fight against 1 vs 1 . Because you can't outrange,outflux or outmanuver it (unless you pilot Paragon too, in which case you win by default).
It's weaker against many targets since spreading soft flux is bad idea.
Pages: 1 [2] 3