Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: I'm bored.  (Read 40223 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: I'm bored.
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2017, 05:05:55 PM »

Other posters impressed by Starfarer/Starsector have wanted Starsector to appear on Steam for years.  I am sure the stock answer from the FMS topic applies today as it has before.

Despite progress made over the years, Starsector is still unbalanced (e.g., inverted difficulty, worthless fighters) and incomplete (cannot affect the world strategically, no victory condition to achieve).

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2017, 09:31:22 PM »

Eh, the only thing that'd sink Starsector on Steam EA would be the crazy long times between updates. I actually own many EA games/Kickstarter games and I know well that people get really antsy if updates take longer than 2 months or so.

So yeah...year+ gaps between updates would be killer and totally not fly on Steam EA.

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2017, 11:54:39 PM »

SS on Steam will certainly help to spread the word and draw in more potential customers which means more $$$. Considering game quality even now and that it doesn't have any solid competitors, even despite long periods without updates, game will still be praised, I'm sure. There will be some bitching on forums and reviews, but general public will be content with the game, that considering how much real broken trash has been shoved into Steam, it really will shine like a gem. I play 0.72a and it really doesn't feel unfinished, though I have played some EA games, and they were really lacking compared to this one. On a side note I don't think every game should have some kind of a goal, victory conditions and etc, balance is also arguable point, because we aren't talking about competitive muliplayer RTS or something. It's just a sandbox in space, and there are also tons of missions that I haven't even touched yet. Definitely NOT lacking in content especially with all these beautiful mods we have.

But tbh, Steam sucks balls, I like no DRM platforms way more, SS MUST be on GOG no matter what.

majorfreak

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 12:01:24 AM »

That said I completely respect Alex's opinion of not launching on Steam on Early Access, but not releasing there ever would be a major mistake.
It has always been the plan to release on Steam "when it's done". There is however very few compelling reasons to do so while the game is unfinished, as long as Alex can afford a decent living.
Main reason is: Why would Alex want to give a 30% cut to Valve and take a lot of extra moderation work when he doesn't need it?
Yeah, Steam's EA games and their communities can be very fickle. One bad period (bad release, long time between releases, not big enough release, etc) and it can tank a game's rating and leave it scarred for a long time or permanently which could cause potential players to stay away for a very long time. It could get lucky with say like RimWorld and hit it off right away and not look back, but for every success story there's probably dozens that have died as a result.
Not to mention that OUR ratings/ votes/ reviews don't count to the Steam ratings since we will have keys. So we won't be able to act as a buffer for bad reviews and just a few could get the snowball from hell rolling.
Plus, what do you think would have happened if SS was on Steam now during this Eternal Pending Update... It would be downvote city >.<
Annnnnnd then there is Workshop. Many Steam users are going to want Workshop, which I know from a fact that most of the sane modders do NOT want it due to all the legal BS and extra work to get the mods on there... And of course, people are going to want to browse Workshop in the game, which would be even more work for Alex.
now those are answers i can fully understand.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2017, 12:41:48 AM »

There will be some bitching on forums and reviews, but general public will be content with the game, that considering how much real broken trash has been shoved into Steam, it really will shine like a gem.

You are new to this Internet thingy, are you?  ;)

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 05:44:29 PM »

There will be some bitching on forums and reviews, but general public will be content with the game, that considering how much real broken trash has been shoved into Steam, it really will shine like a gem.

You are new to this Internet thingy, are you?  ;)
Haha, maybe, but I assumed if people here accept this game so well, why same thing won't happen on steam platform?

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2017, 05:59:47 PM »

Haha, maybe, but I assumed if people here accept this game so well, why same thing won't happen on steam platform?

Easy: People here are here for Starsector. Nothing else. People on Steam have wildly varying expectations because of the shear quantity of massively diverse games available on the platform.

Also in my experience, singleplayer games have incredible communities (see not only Starsector, but also Kerbal Space Program). Multiplayer games like Minecraft, while great games, have some of the most horrible communities out there. Sticking Starsector in the middle of them would cause a huge upheaval from those types of people.

This is the internet. People don't have to partake in an event to feel the need to complain about it.  :'(
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 06:02:22 PM by AxleMC131 »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2017, 06:53:22 PM »

The reason (I think) people here accept Starsector as-is is because it is not finished and people are willing to invest reduced price on an unfinished game now and get a finished product later.

If Starsector was like this as a finished game, it would be rubbish.  Thankfully, it is not finished yet.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 22, 2017, 10:54:44 PM »

I think Alex's choice of not doing Steam EA is smart assuming he doesn't need the funds. With SS's release schedule I can say with 100% certainty that the review section will be filled with "yet another abandoned EA", "lazy devs never update", "dead game avoid like plague" within 3 months, which will definitely hurt SS in the long run.

Doing a good, strong release instead of an agonising (to the average Steam user) EA is much, much better IMO.

Swizzlewizzle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2017, 12:27:23 AM »

Agree.

Making a big splash on Steam with a kickass fully featured and polished game will be much better for long-term brand + game success.

Plus, there are just too many early access games out there with half-baked mechanics, etc... Lots of people burned out on it.

PS: Star Sector, as it was 2 years ago, was still the best, most rewarding 2d starship combat experience I have ever played, bar none. Excited to get back into 0.8 when it releases and enjoy the updates.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2017, 12:38:07 AM »

I think Alex's choice of not doing Steam EA is smart assuming he doesn't need the funds. With SS's release schedule I can say with 100% certainty that the review section will be filled with "yet another abandoned EA", "lazy devs never update", "dead game avoid like plague" within 3 months, which will definitely hurt SS in the long run.

Doing a good, strong release instead of an agonising (to the average Steam user) EA is much, much better IMO.

Agree.

Making a big splash on Steam with a kickass fully featured and polished game will be much better for long-term brand + game success.

Plus, there are just too many early access games out there with half-baked mechanics, etc... Lots of people burned out on it.

PS: Star Sector, as it was 2 years ago, was still the best, most rewarding 2d starship combat experience I have ever played, bar none. Excited to get back into 0.8 when it releases and enjoy the updates.

Ditto and ditto. Jump in and make the biggest bang you can - if that means Steam has to wait a while, so be it.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2017, 02:20:02 AM »

The wait means he can go in... full price... wishlists filling and waiting to be cleared by impatient people with lots of money! Top the sale charts... screw that promotional release discount! Game this good IS the promotion! So wallets are emptied. Steam cash gone. Alex becomes a millionaire overnight and rewards his faithful with a free copy of Starsector's eventual sequel in whatever form it is because he's a generous soul who beat the Steam Store game!

Edit: The faithful are us... obviously...

Swizzlewizzle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2017, 02:34:49 AM »

Yep, the SS community, especially the modders, are definitely going to push the game to the top of the charts on steam.

Andrew Burton

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Flights To United kingdom
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2017, 04:25:03 AM »

I am too getting bored lets play something.

Embercloud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2017, 04:41:07 AM »

Damnit, time, move faster
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8