Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Will high tech's monopoly on combat capitals be addressed with 0.8?  (Read 9827 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Paragon, Odyssey and the Astral—all capital ships, all sold @ "high tech" only markets, and all intended for combat. Meanwhile, midline has the troubled Conquest and low tech has the potent yet lone Onslaught.

Obviously each epoch shouldn't have a perfect equivalent to a different epoch's ship, but right now things are pretty lopsided. Those who favor Tri-Tach simply have more options when in the market for a combat capital ship and that doesn't seem right!

How about a low tech drone tender capital and a midline carrier/brawler hybrid capital (has at least 2 large energy/ballistic mounts)? I'm sure we've all got our ideas for new ships—spread the love!

EDIT: Jesus wept. Capital, not capitol! -_-
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:12:04 PM by Dri »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Will high tech's monopoly on combat capitols be addressed with 0.8?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 05:09:10 PM »

Paragon, Odyssey and the Astral—all capitol ships, all sold @ "high tech" only markets, and all intended for combat. Meanwhile, midline has the troubled Conquest and low tech has the potent yet lone Onslaught.

Obviously each epoch shouldn't have a perfect equivalent to a different epoch's ship, but right now things are pretty lopsided. Those who favor Tri-Tach simply have more options when in the market for a combat capitol ship and that doesn't seem right!

How about a low tech drone tender capitol and a midline carrier/brawler hybrid capitol (has at least 2 large energy/ballistic mounts)? I'm sure we've all got our ideas for new ships—spread the love!
If this were to happen, it would be nice to have the market numbers balanced as well since the Heg own damn near half the sector!
One has a much MUCH better selection of markets to gain ships if they choose low tech while high tech only has 1.5. And hell, half the time it is polluted with non high tech ships. Combined that with the fact that there are rarely two caps in a market and you get a major pain in the rear getting any non Paragon ships. Meanwhile, I can got to several military markets and just about pick up an Onslaught just about anywhere!
Besides, the Odyssey is a battlecruiser of meh quality and the Astral isn't very powerful or worth it.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Will high tech's monopoly on combat capitols be addressed with 0.8?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2017, 05:16:06 PM »

Agreeing with Midnight Kitsune here first: Yes, the high-tech ships are generally "better" to many people (not always - Paragon vs Onslaught can be a challenge, and really depends on which one is being piloted by the player) but low-tech stuff is waaaaaay more common/cheaper/easier to get ahold of. When it comes down to it, it really depends on what you desperately feel the need for.

How about a low tech drone tender capitol and a midline carrier/brawler hybrid capitol (has at least 2 large energy/ballistic mounts)? I'm sure we've all got our ideas for new ships—spread the love!

Don't forget that in the coming 0.8 update we're getting at least one new ship that kinda fulfills this: The Mora-class Carrier, a low-tech cruiser-sized combat carrier brawler. Also a selection of other as yet undisclosed ships that I'm fairly convinced are being added to show low-tech some love. So, yeah, I reckon the "monopoly" as you put it (which personally I don't think is the case - for capitals maybe, but how many high-tech cruisers are there?) is being addressed to a degree.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 05:21:17 PM by AxleMC131 »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Will high tech's monopoly on combat capitals be addressed with 0.8?
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2017, 06:10:59 PM »

While it is likely that the Hegemony will always have the largest presence due to lore reasons, I think it's also highly likely that TT will indeed have more markets come 0.8 as not only will this patch bring many procgen systems, but it'll also see an expansion to the handcrafted "Core" worlds. Surely a few of those worlds will be under TT control!

Anyways, what was the latest capital ship to be added? I want to say it was the Prometheus tanker...not very exciting! We need another capital ship!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 06:13:38 PM by Dri »

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2017, 06:15:12 PM »

Persean League will probably stock the Astral at least. They have it in the mission featuring them and they were mentioned to be more carrier/cruiser based.

May also be able to find some ships when out exploring.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2017, 06:22:32 PM »

Yeah and lets not forget, the Astral might become quite the beast with the new fighter changes!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2017, 07:02:30 PM »

Yeah and lets not forget, the Astral might become quite the beast with the new fighter changes!

Very true!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2017, 07:42:59 PM »

Very true!
IE we need MORE markets that can actually SPAWN the Astral?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 12:42:34 PM »

Very true!
IE we need MORE markets that can actually SPAWN the Astral?
Or a low tech/midline dedicated carrier capital.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 08:25:14 PM »

But a bunch of condors make more sense tactically and economically...

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 08:40:12 PM »

But a bunch of condors make more sense tactically and economically...

Haha, only to the Pirates.  8)

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 03:53:12 AM »

The progression from low to high tech roughly mirrors real world naval warship progression, from a battleship slugger focus to a carrier power projection focus (except IRL carriers have made battleships completely obsolete). The Astral is the logical culmination of this: bearing this in mind, it doesn't make sense for either low or mid tech to have a dedicated Capital-class carrier as it subverts this progression.

As it is low tech has Mora and midline has Heron. You could make an argument for a dedicated midline cruiser-carrier, but IMO that shouldn't happen as the lack of a high tech cruiser-carrier is more glaring and at that point another cruiser-carrier seems excessive. A midline destroyer-carrier might make sense given the Gemini is no longer a real carrier.

Honestly, given the Astral's part in the carrier progression I don't feel high tech has a "monopoly" on capitals. The Odyssey I put in the same box as the Apogee, the sort of "tier 2.5" between midline and high tech (thematically that is); kind of like what the Venture/Mule/Shepherd are to low tech and midline. The only "high tech" capital that I consider part of the high tech warship family is the Paragon.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »

It wouldn't hurt to have another low-tech capital that fills the anvil role. Onslaught being the hammer. But right now Onslaught got plenty of armour itself, so that's muddling the line a little bit. Is it overpowered? No, but it's cheap enough (40 supplies vs. Odyssey's 45 and Conquest's 40, both of which deserve some love) to take some of that armour off and make a dedicated lowtech tank.

Overall, I don't think the game needs one flavour of everything for every tech level. It's always nice to get more ships, but they have to fill a functional role and be interesting enough. Heron is midline's dedicated carrier in that it incorporates midline philosophy exactly by not pigeonholing too hard on the flight decks but also offering speed and a decent tank. Anything else would be less midline.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2017, 12:15:40 PM by Schwartz »

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2017, 04:55:15 PM »

I want to see more combat cruisers first. Low-tech has the Dominator, Mid-tech has the Falcon and Eagle, and High-tech has the Doom and Aurora.
The Aurora and Falcon both need some love to be useful. Currently, the Falcon feels like an expensive Destroyer+. The Aurora is meh at best, lacking meaningful turret options and safe outfits.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 05:44:36 PM »

Currently, the Falcon feels like an expensive Destroyer+. The Aurora is meh at best, lacking meaningful turret options and safe outfits.

You're forgetting the Apogee. ;)

*Ahem* To be fair about the Falcon, it is a "Light Cruiser", and when you look at it in combat it performs brilliantly thanks to its exceptional agility and speed. Personally I have found it well worthwhile, although a burn speed of 8 does hold it back. Since the Conquest and Odyssey battlecruisers are apparently getting burn speed buffs in 0.8, I'd hope that the Light Cruisers in the game (all one of them...) might do as well.

The Aurora I think of as a multi-purpose cruiser, which is often the case when you have a lot of energy weapons.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 05:46:07 PM by AxleMC131 »
Pages: [1] 2