Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: What sort of ship would have engines like this? (David's Twitter)  (Read 26132 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile

https://twitter.com/dgbaumgart/status/840380388233035776

What are ya thinking? Should be a new hull, and then David said "giant" engines—maybe a low tech battlecruiser!? High tech has both a battleship and battlecruiser, midline is missing a main battleship and low tech is missing a battlecruiser...time to fill in them gaps? :O

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: What sort of ship would have engines like this? (David's Twitter)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 03:04:21 PM »

Looks low-tech to me. Shades of the Onslaught's main engine deck.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2017, 04:10:22 PM »

Definitely some kind of weather balloon. Best pay it no mind.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 04:32:59 PM »

But how many pixels wide is one of the Onslaught's biggest engine/nozzle? This pics biggest engine is around 16 pixels wide...

It's been said that the focus for new ships going forward was gonna shift towards the larger hulls! Ain't that right, David?! :D

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2017, 06:37:01 PM »

A Low-Tech explorer is still missing for those cheap proc gen explorations.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2017, 07:03:09 PM »

But how many pixels wide is one of the Onslaught's biggest engine/nozzle? This pics biggest engine is around 16 pixels wide...

Never said it was the Onslaught. I said it showed shades of it, meaning it appears similar. :P Which it does, when you take a close-up look at the back end of the Onslaught compared to that image.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »

I know it's obviously not an Onslaught—guess I worded that wrong. I was wondering how large it is compared to the Onslaught.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2017, 09:10:06 PM »

I know it's obviously not an Onslaught—guess I worded that wrong. I was wondering how large it is compared to the Onslaught.

Ah, all good.  ;) Couldn't say about the size. Maybe a little smaller, perhaps cruiser size, but there's a lot of definition, and that is a big engine bell, so who can say?

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2017, 10:18:40 PM »

A Low-Tech explorer is still missing for those cheap proc gen explorations.
Mention was made in the patch notes of Venture and Shepard both getting "Surveying Equipment" as a built-in hullmod. So there's that.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2017, 10:51:10 PM »

Do mind that things like Hound has some disproportionally large engines compared to their hull size... Might not be a case here, tho.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2017, 05:07:16 AM »

Looks like condor engines redesign.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »

it could be a light cruiser with focus on good base speed, against typical low-tech design. but battlecruiser seems more likely.

i hope it's gonna be a carrier hybrid... because i now wanna see those in all new ships. :D low-tech cruiser or battlecruiser sized combat-carrier might be too similar to Mora though.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2017, 10:59:40 PM »

I don't really see an Onslaught-era battlecruiser being a thing. The Conquest, silly broadside design notwithstanding, already exists complete with horrific shields. There's not a lot of room to fit something between the Onslaught and the Conquest and not be too similar to either (too armoured and it's not much of a battlecruiser, too paper-thin well the Conquest got that covered). Unless you guys just want a battlecruiser without the Conquest's split design in which case I'd say fix the Conquest first.

Having said all that... my guess on this would in fact be a low-tech cruiser or battlecruiser, so yeah.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2017, 11:56:34 PM »

... The Conquest, silly broadside design notwithstanding, already exists complete with horrific shields. There's not a lot of room to fit something between the Onslaught and the Conquest and not be too similar to either (too armoured and it's not much of a battlecruiser, too paper-thin well the Conquest got that covered). Unless you guys just want a battlecruiser without the Conquest's split design in which case I'd say fix the Conquest first.

Sounds like you aren't particularly fond of broadside combat.  :-X You've gotta remember the point of the Conquest is firepower and mobility. Not armour or shields - that's what we have the Onslaught and Paragon for. Granted broadsiding isn't easy, but the results can be great once you get the hang of using the rotation (A/D) and strafe (Q/E) keys together.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2017, 12:36:18 AM »

... The Conquest, silly broadside design notwithstanding, already exists complete with horrific shields. There's not a lot of room to fit something between the Onslaught and the Conquest and not be too similar to either (too armoured and it's not much of a battlecruiser, too paper-thin well the Conquest got that covered). Unless you guys just want a battlecruiser without the Conquest's split design in which case I'd say fix the Conquest first.

Sounds like you aren't particularly fond of broadside combat.  :-X You've gotta remember the point of the Conquest is firepower and mobility. Not armour or shields - that's what we have the Onslaught and Paragon for. Granted broadsiding isn't easy, but the results can be great once you get the hang of using the rotation (A/D) and strafe (Q/E) keys together.

The point of the Conquest is supposed to be firepower and mobility (i.e. the point of all battlecruisers). On paper its firepower looks excellent: if it was per broadside. Since it's not its actual firepower is almost halved.

It almost looks as though the Conquest is meant to wade into the thick of things so it can get both broadsides roaring into the enemy fleet: except it also has the narrowest and least efficient shield possible and thin armour, which relegates it to a fire-support role where one broadside basically won't ever see any use.

So yes, it's a silly broadside design. Not all broadside designs are silly, but the Conquest without a doubt is.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6