Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: "The Silent Armada" - A mod backstory concept  (Read 3648 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
"The Silent Armada" - A mod backstory concept
« on: March 08, 2017, 07:01:52 PM »

Let us initially ignore any possibility of what the mod I'm currently working on will entail in terms of ships, weapons, factions, combat and campaign gameplay, and have a quick look instead at an idea I had for introducing it from a blank start, completely out of context.

Spoiler

The Silent Armada

Three cycles ago, they arrived. A Hegemony outer system patrol was the first to pick them up on long-range scanners. A silent armada of unknown, unregistered spacecraft pushing their way through Hyperspace. The numbers where vast, the sensor signatures otherworldly, the power readings never before seen... Yet not a single vessel showed any lifesigns. As a single autonomous unit, they ponderously edged their way into Sector space, making no moves to attack. Scouts were sent to investigate, and confirmed previous suspicions – the vessels were uncrewed, running on the barest of autopilot essentials, and possibly had been for dozens of cycles. Maybe hundreds.

But the strangest bit? The ships carried no data. Other than the most basic of computer programs, not a single ship had any form of flight data stored on their drives, leaving the sector dumbfounded as to their purpose and origin. While clearly intended for human use, these ships were built from technology either far in advance of our own, or ancient to the point of being forgotten to the grips of time. They were built for war, that was certain. But a war against who? Or what? The sector couldn't know.

Where had they come from? Were they sent many cycles ago by the old Domain, to travel through hyperspace until they reached the sector? If so, why would they carry no recordings or information? Perhaps they were merely leftover war vessels dismissed as junk, or the remnants of an ancient civilization making a desperate attempt to help their technology survive. Maybe the sector was not their final destination, but a waypoint in their endless, autonomous travels across the infinite star-speckled blackness of the universe.

Either way, the Hegemony has easily gained control of the plethora of warships. They have been relinquished of their autopilots and moved to Hegemony space where they may be examined by the best scientists, engineers and archaeologists the sector has. If they are lucky, some facts may be revealed, but for now, these weapons of war are an asset that cannot be wasted. So, they are being put to good use in the best way possible: Active military service.

[close]

Tell me what you think!  ;)

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: "The Silent Armada" - A mod backstory concept
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 10:37:13 PM »

The story is nice and it seems right out of the twilight zone XD I do wonder though what happens next. I mean this is the backstory of the new faction right? That means that either somehow these ships will start working again by their own, or some unknown creatures or maybe brainwashed humans? Maybe aiming to make them a side faction to Hegemony?

I always was a sucker for mysterious happenings and since in space imagination is the limit, I am already loving this XD

One thing though. You mention that they carried no data and just basic computer programs, but then it is also mentioned that the ships are build be a technology not known. One of kind of contradicts the other, but you do mention they seem to be built for human use, so I guess with my memories from Stargate, someone could indeed manage to do some readings XD
Ignorance is bliss..

NightKev

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:04:09 PM »

One thing though. You mention that they carried no data and just basic computer programs, but then it is also mentioned that the ships are build be a technology not known. One of kind of contradicts the other
How so? There doesn't have to be data on the computers for them to be made of unknown technology.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 12:06:15 AM »

How so? There doesn't have to be data on the computers for them to be made of unknown technology.

The fact they can tell if there is or there is no data, it means they can use the computers and also understand it, especially since the programs are called basic. But he does mention "these ships were built from technology either far in advance of our own, or ancient to the point of being forgotten to the grips of time". If technology was more advanced or ancient, to the point it became unknown, it might as well mean the programming and data could also be in a form that is not recognizable. I know I am stretching it a bit, since they seem to be created to be used by humans, but I guess I usually overthink things.
Ignorance is bliss..

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 12:22:18 AM »

Glad to see a positive response, and already people getting into the mystery of the backstory! :D I'm deliberately not going to confirm or deny anything that gets discussed to keep some of that mystery on the table.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 12:34:47 AM »

I would feel sad if you came out with an answer right away :D Atmosphere and mood need to be built up first :D
Ignorance is bliss..

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 12:39:09 AM »

Exactly!

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 11:48:35 AM »

All your ship are belong to us.
Just kidding.
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!