Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Outer Rim Alliance v0.95rc1 (2023/01/07)  (Read 491644 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Outer Rim Alliance v0.93rc3 (2021/04/18)
« Reply #270 on: February 09, 2022, 12:11:56 AM »

Thanks!

Dtox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Outer Rim Alliance v0.93rc3 (2021/04/18)
« Reply #271 on: February 09, 2022, 07:51:42 AM »

Something I forgot to mention! before I got the mod I had been thinking "would be nice if there were more weapons that can impose debuffs in the game" (I say "more" but i'm not even sure there's any actual weapons like that in the vanilla game), so it was quite the pleasant surprise when I learned some of the O.R.A's projectiles interfere with ship movement. it's a very welcome step in the direction I wanted.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Outer Rim Alliance v0.94rc2 (2022/02/27)
« Reply #272 on: February 27, 2022, 10:58:35 AM »

Alright so, ORA has been bothering me for a while. The ships have great stats yet the AI is consistently non-threatening with it. This patch is an attempt at fixing it.

The ships are overall slightly faster, and they have a LOT more missile mounts. That should allow them to more easily dish out bursts of damage and take the initiative. They will be free to use much more flux-heavy weapons along those missiles too.

Changelog

0.94?

NEW CONTENT:

- New star system ambience musics courtesy of Mesotronik.

BALANCING:

- Attitude Jets system:
   . Duration reduced to 3s from 4, added a 2s charge-down,
   . Speed boost increased to 100 from 50, but only applies during the fully active time,
   . turn rate boost applies during the entire charge-up + active + charge-down duration.

- Ships:
   . Many sideways energy turrets are now synergy,
   . Many spinal synergy turrets are now energy.
 > Ships have more missile-capable mounts overall.
 > Given that having projectile weapons in spinal mounts is important to make the AI broadside properly, this should eliminate pitfalls new users fall into.
   . All broadsider ships' Omni shields now have variable arcs, they get wider when pointed to the side and narrower to the front to catch fewer unnecessary shots.

- Harmony destroyer:
   . System switched to Plasma Jets from Plasma Burn.

- Grace destroyer:
   . Speed increased to 90 from 70.
   . Deployment/Maintenance cost increased to 13 supplies from 11.

- Communion carrier:
   . Speed increased to 50 from 35.

- Beatitude cruiser:
   . Speed increased to 65 from 50.

- Elevation cruiser:
   . Speed increased to 75 from 65.

- Revelation cruiser:
   . Shield changed to a Front bubble, from a 300 degrees Omni.
   . Now has built-in Accelerated Shields.

- Discernment super-carrier:
   . System switched to Coordinated Engagement (+30CR to nearby ships) from Acausal Disruptor,
   . Deployment/Maintenance cost increased to 60 supplies from 50.

- Choir Emitter:
   . Damage per shot increased to 25 from 10 (125 dps from 50)
   . EMP per shot increased to 80 from 40 (400 dps from 200)
 > This won't change much it's efficiency against missiles since most of the effect is scripted, but it might make it better than soaked porridge vs fighters.

- Recital Deliverer:
   . Base fire-rate increased to 240 rpm from 120. Maximum fire-rate unchanged.

- Litany Thrower:
   . Proj speed increased to 400 from 300.
   . Fires in bursts of 3 instead of having 6 ammo with regen.
 > Might be worse in player hands, but should work a lot better with the AI.

- Eschewal Projector:
   . Now has a constant turn rate while firing or not.
   . Proj speed increased to 450 from 400.

- Echoes Caster:
   . No longer affects friendly missiles.
 > Kind of necessary now with all the new missile mounts.

- Calling Scatterer:
   . Proj speed increased to 350 from 300.

- Incantation Horn:
   . Proj speed increased to 300 from 225.

BUGFIXES/IMPROVEMENTS:

- Xeno-warfare hullmod is now displayed to the top of all built-in hullmods
[close]

Earliest save compatible version: 0.92

Always DELETE the old version before extracting the new one
Requires LazyLib and MagicLib

vok3

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: April 06, 2022, 04:20:29 AM »

Your destroyers and cruisers all need to have their maneuverability decreased by about 30-40%.  Or inertia increased by about that amount.  Or something.  They bounce around like yo-yos, not spaceships.  A Hammerhead is a lumbering cow by comparison and even a Shrike would be hard put to it to match even a few of these back-and-forth maneuvers.

I can't speak to the capitals as I haven't fought them yet but the midsize ships are annoyingly stupid enough I don't want to try.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: April 27, 2022, 11:05:40 AM »

Your destroyers and cruisers all need to have their maneuverability decreased by about 30-40%.  Or inertia increased by about that amount.  Or something.  They bounce around like yo-yos, not spaceships.  A Hammerhead is a lumbering cow by comparison and even a Shrike would be hard put to it to match even a few of these back-and-forth maneuvers.

I can't speak to the capitals as I haven't fought them yet but the midsize ships are annoyingly stupid enough I don't want to try.

Could be because of the reworked Attitude Jets and rebalanced ship speed stats from the very last update? I use a custom build that retained the slower but longer-lasting old jets and an inbetween balance of ship speed between last and second to last update and I don't notice ships bouncing around.

On things found in the last update, I have two pieces of feedback:

The new broadsider shield mod should be shown rather than hidden. Right now there is no way for a player to know that it exists without reading patch notes or looking into mod files and no way to know which ships have it or don't without testing them one by one in sim.

On weapon balance good stuff overall, but the Litany Thrower losing the ammo mechanic is sad as ORA no longer has an ammo-based energy weapon for each mount size, which gave them some identity as a faction that makes good use out of ammo hullmods on ships of any size.

Otherwise good work as usual. I like the star system-specific music tracks, very fitting. Plasma jets is a much more practical system for the Harmony and the Discernment's new support system is more thematic.
Forgot: Coordinated Engagement's approximate range should be indicated in the description -had to look in files to check range- and there should be a visual range circle when activated ingame (as seen in other similar mod systems) for clarity. Right now it's hard to tell how close ships need to be to get tagged by it until they're already close enough and get the shimmer effect.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Proxima-b

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 21, 2022, 07:08:20 AM »

ORA ships often got utterly distroyed a large combat somehow, it might need a buff

SpaceFruitOnIce

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 13, 2022, 06:27:57 PM »

Made an account to give some feedback from my latest playthrough where I used pretty much only O.R.A. ships, minus utility ships.

#1 most important thing: QoL Pack's Omni Shield Assist. Use this. Abuse it. It was my best friend. Being able to pin your shield in a direction, or at a certain target, made controlling these bricky lads truly feel fantastic to control.

In the early game, moving up from a Bliss to a Harmony felt fun. Weird playstyle to get used to, but fun none the less. I found the AI generally suffered if you didn't babysit their orders to keep them in a strict line due to their dependency on one another.

There are three main things I'll go over to hopefully not turn this into an essay going over literally everything I tried.

Cruisers:

Cruisers primarily consisted of paired Felicities and Beatitudes. The Felicity offered fantastic coverage for the Beatitude's advance, which in response offered valuable flanking coverage from their 'rear' broadside during a fight. These two were best of friends for all of mid and late game.

The Felicity could probably lose a flight decks and I would still make good use of them. Very potent support so long as they have something to run interference. Helpless on their own, but very fitting for their ability, especially when I strapped on some long range suppression missiles. Despite the capital carrier boasting double their flight decks, I never had nearly as much luck using it as I did these wonderful guys.

Beatitude by far outperformed both the Revelation and Elevation classes in my experience. Incredible coverage with 8 Medium slots just can't be beat, though this may be due to the power of a constant Eschewal Projector broadside.

Capital ships:

The Enlightenment a monster of a ship. It's ability to rapidly turn means I get to effectively double dip armor values. Probably the most fun capital ship I've ever flown. Against many fleets, this thing could quite literally fly into the middle of the enemy fleet, and carve it in two via broadsiding both sides at once.

What really made me feel this thing's true power was going full hog ham and Shield Stunting it, and building it for pure Armor. No longer having to truly worry about Flux, or rather, Flux being purely a value for the burst firing of my weapons, allowed me to strap some truly energy hungry weapons onto this thing that allowed it to just go to town. I truly have never had a more fun end game than with this ship build. This thing managed to solo the late game [REDACTED] fights.

Never used the Discernment, two Felicity by far outperformed it, and between this and the Enlightenment it was no question.

Weapons:

I feel like each one of the Large Weapons are... quite bad compared to non-faction options. Excluding the Incantation Horn, which felt effective enough. Invocation Launcher has it's job done just as well by even a single Eschewal Projector, and that's not even factoring in that it can friendly fire. The Calling Scatterer's damage never truly felt impactful, nor was it's PD effect ever noticed. The slow movement speed didn't help matters.

The Sempiternal Repeater lived up to it's note of being a niche weapon, in that I never found a real use for it. A broadside of Eschewal Projectors that landed even a single hit on fast moving hostile ships spelled their death often enough that it acted as an equally effective deterrent, while retaining its effectiveness against larger targets due to being fired throughout the battle.

Speaking of, the Eschewal Projector is the nastiest weapon I have ever had the joy of using. They remained effective against targets of any size at all periods of the game and outshined the rest of the faction's arsenal by a wide margin in the mid game, before the Enlightenment stole the show.

NoMercyForLudds_

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 18, 2022, 05:30:22 AM »

This is my favourite faction mod - I absolutely love the aesthetic of the ships..

Reshy

• Admiral
  • White
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 04, 2022, 02:01:33 AM »

Minor suggestion, but I think the "Jade" planet should, based off it's description, have the "Meteor Impacts" trait assigned to it.

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 23, 2022, 08:02:53 AM »

I think the newly gained speed is a blessing and a curse for ORA. Yes, mobility helps them engage/disengage, but the quicker movements do not mesh with many ORA weapons, which are slow projectiles. Watching them in battle, I see a looot of misses.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
[0.95.1a] Outer Rim Alliance v0.95rc1 (2023/01/07)
« Reply #280 on: January 07, 2023, 05:25:40 AM »

This is a small (and very late) maintenance update to fix a few minor outstanding issues.

Changelog

BALANCING:

- All ships with maneuvering systems now have reduced base acceleration.

- Sempiternal Repeater: Range increased to 700su from 600.

BUGFIXES/IMPROVEMENTS:

- Eschewal Projector / Invocation Launcher:
   . Fixed a typo that made the slowing effect much more pronounced that it should have,
   . Added a multiplier that increase the effect with skills and systems that increase Energy weapon damage.
 - Prayer Sender missiles are now much smaller, more in line with their damage potential.
 - Fixed an error with the Xeno-Warfare Design hullmod that always gave the max debuff for asymmetric loadouts.
 - The Xeno-Warfare Design hullmod now displays the current engine debuff when using an asymmetric loadout.
[close]

Earliest save compatible version: 0.92

Always DELETE the old version before extracting the new one
Requires LazyLib and MagicLib

To whomever it may interest:
As it has become pretty obvious, this past year I for the most part moved on from modding this game. While it may be disappointing to hear I cannot promise to ever returning to the debit of frequent updates I once held. I however do not want to let this mod die. Thus in the case I have yet to show up 3 months after the next major game release, anyone is free to update ORA and/or change it however they want.

In the meantime, ORA's code can freely be re-used by anyone and the sprites can freely be kitbashed from without asking with 3 conditions: It must be for a Starsector mod, that mod must have a similarly permissive license, and I am credited.

Buggie

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Outer Rim Alliance v0.95rc1 (2023/01/07)
« Reply #281 on: January 07, 2023, 11:27:02 AM »

To whomever it may interest:
As it has become pretty obvious, this past year I for the most part moved on from modding this game. While it may be disappointing to hear I cannot promise to ever returning to the debit of frequent updates I once held. I however do not want to let this mod die. Thus in the case I have yet to show up 3 months after the next major game release, anyone is free to update ORA and/or change it however they want.

In the meantime, ORA's code can freely be re-used by anyone and the sprites can freely be kitbashed from without asking with 3 conditions: It must be for a Starsector mod, that mod must have a similarly permissive license, and I am credited.

Thanks for all the work you did tarti, both in making mods and making tutorials for anyone wanting to make some. Are you allowing the other mods you have worked on to be kept to up to date as well, or just O.R.A?

Sanrai

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 09, 2023, 02:18:25 PM »

To whoever picks this project up, .96 graphics changes have messed with the invocation launcher. It now releases an almost invisible wave when it reaches it's target.

MnHebi

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 06, 2023, 12:00:56 AM »

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FoPYMrRpDLQK4AFP9uYwKio0pBRSCLh9/view?usp=sharing
Update for 0.96a.
Updated deprecated magiclib calls.
Removed references to deprecated admin abilities.
Fixed Invocation Launcher missing EMP damage value.
Change hull chance numbers to match current game version.

Eddren

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: October 07, 2023, 07:20:35 AM »

The hero we've needed.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20