Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Building Better Worlds  (Read 43679 times)

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Building Better Worlds
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 12:30:18 PM »

I got question about first picture. For clarification, i didnt play Starsector for a long time (and not planing to play till it hits v1.0), so this could be something completely normal but for me it looks new. Anyhow, on that first picture whats that 3 things over Eochu Bres?
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 12:40:18 PM »

Thought:  naming the planets this way is a wonderful idea; gives everything so much more character.

Perhaps Stations should use a convenient naming schema that fits their role?

Pirate stations-  named after freebooters, famous soldiers-of-fortune, etc.:  Kidd, Nidal, Hawkwood, Bakunin, etc.

Mercantile stations-  named after famous capitalists:  Vanderbilt, Gates, Mooney, etc.

Military stations- named after famous military leaders:  Sherman, Halsey, l'Hermite, etc.

This seems like a sensible division and it fits the randomized schema well.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Elaron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2017, 01:07:46 PM »

Very cool blog. I do like a blended approach of human crafted core systems and procedurally generated distant ones.

Also +1 for bonus cat in a picture!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 01:23:04 PM »

So .... yeah, answer: we agree it'd be cool and want to try some stuff.

Glad to hear it :)

By the way, I really like the cathedral painting, especially the use of lighting and perspective!

I got question about first picture. For clarification, i didnt play Starsector for a long time (and not planing to play till it hits v1.0), so this could be something completely normal but for me it looks new. Anyhow, on that first picture whats that 3 things over Eochu Bres?

Those are solar shades/mirrors to regulate planetary surface temperature. Many of the symbols are new, though :)

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2017, 01:26:19 PM »

Aha tnx man.
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2017, 01:30:24 PM »

There’s also something to be said for the tone created by the names, both in their content and in how they actually sound/read. My goal is to aim for a somewhat dark tone in Starsector, what with this being a moderately dystopic sci-fi world where space is vast, frightening, and hostile.

Planets named after metal bands, bonus points for every umlaut you can fit in there.

Otherwise a very interesting blogpost, it's reassuring to see some handcrafted writing to break a bit the soulless procedural generation.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2017, 01:48:52 PM »

Otherwise a very interesting blogpost, it's reassuring to see some handcrafted writing to break a bit the soulless procedural generation.

I'm just hoping it's not completely limited to the core worlds and there are some morsels of scripted content in the periphery, too :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2017, 01:50:17 PM »

Im hyped about the proc systems, looking forward to, you know, explore them

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2017, 02:16:22 PM »

I too am glad to hear that more manually created Core Worlds have been added. Everytime I hear a dev say "Massive procgen universe to explore" and "Over 100 million randomly generated items to discover", I immediately get turned off as I know that 99% of that crap is gonna be the same ole' content but chewed up and reguritated endlessly.

Really hope these systems aren't just the same 5-10 events/PoI scrambled up and seeded out. Of course, that might actually be the case with this first release here as surely the "contenting" will be ongoing until 1.0—that's understandable.

Machine

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2017, 02:20:12 PM »

I'm not sure if it's a good practice to correct name misspellings for this case, after all words shift with time. Also if they are references I think it makes it more fun to find them, it could also lead to places with apparent multiple sources for their names.

Anyway, kind of curious on how random generation will work, will there be some level of theming?, something like of this star got randomly named Cthulhu, and then see it has a planet named Necronomicon with an orbiting derelict sporeship appropriately (nick)named "Old one". Or will we see that star Cthulhu is the parent star of the quite prosperous independent planet Gaudimon, and its orbital fortress " Triumphus Station".

Admittedly, even though I just went and picked a random bunch of words that did not fit together, searched for their latin equivalent and made small modifications, I guess I could still make a story about planet Gaudimon that makes some sense... with some work. But I guess that would require descriptions that the random generation would not be able to achieve.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »

I too am glad to hear that more manually created Core Worlds have been added. Everytime I hear a dev say "Massive procgen universe to explore" and "Over 100 million randomly generated items to discover", I immediately get turned off as I know that 99% of that crap is gonna be the same ole' content but chewed up and reguritated endlessly.

Really hope these systems aren't just the same 5-10 events/PoI scrambled up and seeded out. Of course, that might actually be the case with this first release here as surely the "contenting" will be ongoing until 1.0—that's understandable.

Just want to say I'm very much on the same page about that. For the procgen stuff, I think... well, it's a complicated topic. One thing is having enough variety, so that it's not always the same stuff, but pretty much no matter how much variety you have, it's going to get recognizable over multiple playthroughs. The other part is having it be fun to interact with/making it matter; that's what's going to give it long-term punch. If it's a fun thing, then it's ok even if it's not a new thing, as long as you haven't seen it 10 times in a row. It's a team effort between variety, tangible rewards, and fun interactions.

And, yeah, ongoing contenting will help with all of these. Part of the task right now is to band-aid some things to make planetary surveys at least kind of sort of useful; once the increasingly-less-hypothetical outposts are in, that should tie a lot of things together. But even without that, I'm feeling pretty good about what's going in now. Speaking of that, back to the contenting :)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 05:06:30 PM by Alex »

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2017, 03:04:21 PM »

Good to hear, man. Hype levels for this patch are out of this world. Hnnnnng! C'mon!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2017, 05:05:43 PM »

"The Hype Reactor is going CRITICAL! SHE CAN'T TAKE ANY MORE!!!"

Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2017, 06:19:57 PM »

Man I'm docking on Alex's pan !

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2017, 08:59:57 PM »

With the inclusion of the Persean league...are we going to be seeing some of their planets show up in existing systems? Like Magec? Or is that system already a fustercluck?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6