Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Does anyone look into Ryzen?  (Read 18435 times)

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone look into Ryzen?
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 02:40:55 AM »

2 core obsolete? Well, Intel g4560 2 core 4 thread 65e king of the cheapest PC builds would disagree :P

Lol. I am not talking about budget computer building, nor really the present. I am talking about the future and the technology part. So if anything in the future the next gxxxx that will be an i3 but with useless features stripped, will be a 4c/4t.
Ignorance is bliss..

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 03:04:20 AM »

Aha i see now. I misinterpreted your part abut obsoleting. At least this Ryzen hype is interesting and if performance leaks and price leaks are true or really close then this will be really good time for customers :D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2017, 04:40:07 AM »

If Ryzen will be as good as rumours say, it will be god for both Intel fans, AMD fans and people that do not care which is better. AMD will keep a low pricing hopefully, Intel will try to compete and pull down prices and everyone will be paying less and upgrading more. This is just wonderful.
Ignorance is bliss..

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2017, 06:52:47 AM »

As for consoles. Don't they always use AMD CPUs? I do not really feel there is some hint behind their choice. I just feel they go for cost efficiency, for the already expensive new generation consoles. Like Wii too had an ATI GPU.

The new Nintendo Console will use a Nvidia SoC. I guess that's because it has to be mobile too, and when it comes to power efficiency Nvidia is far ahead. For stationary consoles power/price is more important, and there AMD is ahead.

In my experience it's the same for the desktop market. If I want a cheap gaming PC I go AMD, if I want a silent gaming PC I go Nvidia/Intel, if I want the most powerful PC possible... I go and re-think my priorities.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2017, 08:11:50 AM »

Welp, Ryzen 3 top CPUs got released. Cheap indeed, but they seem to surpass Intel. Considering what it has been said too, they will not be as hot as their predecessors. Although honestly I will believe only tests and comparisons that will be done from normal users, that will share their experiences in forums. I am not too keen to trust sites and whatnot. I prefer sources that can't really be influenced in any way.
Ignorance is bliss..

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2017, 09:01:58 AM »

... if I want the most powerful PC possible... I go and re-think my priorities.

+100

I like to get good enough components that they will be relatively future proof - for example, if there are 2 current memory standards for RAM I will go with the latest one even if it increases price by $30 or so - but other than that the price of 'most powerful' is just obscene.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2017, 09:11:28 AM »

... if I want the most powerful PC possible... I go and re-think my priorities.
+100000000... never worth it.  It's always obscenely over-priced, buggy and unstable, lol.  I remember my first water-cooled setup, and the mess that was...

The Ryzen is very interesting, indeed; I've bought AMD a lot over the years (especially their GPUs) to have a desktop where I can test shaders (because if shaders are going to bork for weird reasons, they'll bork on AMD).  It looks pretty solid... if they don't have problems making enough chips, if they're as good in production as they were in testing, etc., etc., etc.

I really hope AMD gets itself together; Intel requires some genuine competition, or we're all going to pay monopoly prices for our hardware.  There aren't any real competitors other than AMD in this segment any more, sadly; I don't miss the horrid mess it was to program around the limitations of lots of chipsets and I'm soooooo glad that we have a reasonably-good support for OpenGL these days, but it's sad that there isn't more real competition to keep prices sane.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2017, 09:45:46 AM »

I just never go for the top. It is much easier for the top to drop marginally more than the mid to high. The top to me always seem to be higher only a tad bit, with difference being things I do not care enough to pay for. Then again nowadays high end gaming = multiGPU setups. Praise the gods my enjoyment does not equal 4K resolution with 220 butter smooth FPS.
Ignorance is bliss..

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2017, 10:10:34 AM »

There aren't any real competitors other than AMD in this segment any more, sadly;

How about mobile chip manufacturers like Qualcomm? My (very amateurish) impression is that markets for desktop and mobile consumer electronics will melt into each other within the next few years. It already started with stuff like Tegra, no?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 09:59:36 AM »

There aren't any real competitors other than AMD in this segment any more, sadly;

How about mobile chip manufacturers like Qualcomm? My (very amateurish) impression is that markets for desktop and mobile consumer electronics will melt into each other within the next few years. It already started with stuff like Tegra, no?

Mobile chips use the ARM micro architecture where as AMD/Intel use the x86.  If you want to go between the two you'll need to recompile at the bare minimum (If you're smart you'll do another test pass).  You MIGHT start to see migration from x86 for massively parallel servers where performance per watt is king in the next 5 years, but for the desktop and workstation, there's too much existing legacy software that cannot be recompiled.  (But AMD is working on a hybrid x86/ARM solution, but that's contingency rather than the goal)

Regarding Ryzen, I'm sure it'll be good enough for gaming, but just about anything is these days for all but a few games.  As an aside, for the stuff I work on, the extra "fake" cores usually do more harm than good.  They require additional thread-local storage (more memory for each thread), and if you are doing a workload that is very "branchy" your memory controller/predictor will do a bad job and you'll just end up with 2x as many cache misses and flushes without getting 2x the throughput.  Their cinebench that they released is a perfect workload for their fake threads, so just keep in mind to only pay attention to benchmarks that line up with how you'll actually be using the hardware.

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 10:54:26 AM »

I just can't take the hype seriously. I would love for AMD to be able to offer genuine competition to Intel and Nvidia, but I'm just not seeing it. In the meantime, the 10xx series and Kaby/Sky Lake are vetted performers.

+100000000... never worth it.  It's always obscenely over-priced, buggy and unstable, lol.  I remember my first water-cooled setup, and the mess that was...

See, I can't say I've experienced that problem at all. I got my (first ever, actually) new "home build" PC up and running in December. I splurged a little bit on it, with full watercooling and fairly high end hardware. The most trouble I had with anything was the motherboards LAN chipset. Getting all the cooling stuff set up and working right was tedious no question, but it's been entirely painless and stable since. Overclocking was straightforward and didn't take long. Granted, a few months isn't the longest test, but it's definitely a good start.

What issues did you have with yours?

Elaron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 12:12:05 PM »

I just can't take the hype seriously.

Who remembers "The future is Fusion"? Even Pepperidge Farm doesn't.

I would love for AMD to be able to offer genuine competition to Intel and Nvidia

Same here. The time between the launch of the Pentium 4 and the first i7s was probably AMD's strongest showing, and it showed.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2017, 02:13:34 PM »

I never in my life owned AMD. The only time I remember AMD actually creating something that could match Intel, was around 2005, where it was a big stir with the high quality CPU AMD released, which if I remember well it was called Althlon or FX (it has been a long time).

The only reason I even looked into AMD, is because when I visited the forums of overclock net, which I usually go for some opinions, in the Intel CPU section that I asked about 7600, I got 3 answers. I was suggested to look into 6700 or maybe7700, keeping in mind that they get hot, and all three said to at least first wait for Ryzen.

Good reputation is something that takes more than just 1 good CPU. Trust is probably something even harder to get. But I always do trust users and I do not mean the ones getting all hyped. Results that come from users are most of the time not biased and external sources can't affect them, which is why I like forums. If anything I know Ryzen is going to get criticized very strictly, cause as it seems a lot of Intel users that wanted to jump from 4 cores to 8 cores, have got them.

I have low expectations from Intel for sure, mostly because 6th to 7th get was supposed to be a 15% jump in performance, with the best current example 6700K->7700K having an 8% better performance when on stock clocks and almost 0% when OCed on air with a good cooler. 8th generation is supposed to be another 15% up from the 7th. Sadly it seems at least Kaby runs extra hot.

I never have been disappointed by Intel before, but a bad experience way in the past with NVidia, taught me it is better to not jump before looking.
Ignorance is bliss..

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2017, 08:45:20 PM »

So, the Ryzen 5 series is out. From the reviews I've read, they look very impressive for the price point - game performance that matches or betters i5's and multi thread performances that crushes them (as expected from many more cores). I'm eagerly awaiting Intel either dropping its prices to compete or rolling out its next big architecture! Yay competition!

It also seems like the new Ryzen chips get a good boost from fast memory, and motherboard manufacturers are starting to introduce the BIOS updates to allow 2933 and 3200 speeds - the reviews of Ryzen 5 are mentioning that they are retesting their Ryzen 7's and finding them to be performing 5-7% better than before the BIOS update.

Interesting thing: The 5 series uses the same die as the 7 series, just with cores disabled. It has a few practical implications: 1) Lower design/tooling costs. 2) More memory per core. 3) Lower thermal profile, allowing to run lesser batch grade chips at higher clock speeds. I kind of doubt that the 3 series uses the same die, as it would be a rather large waste of silicons, but who knows.

Anyone else hear things/get one to play with?

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2017, 07:07:54 AM »

Anyone else hear things/get one to play with?

Thinking about it, though not yet decided between 1600 or 1600x.
Need to see how reliably the non-X versions overclock, and which B350 chipset boards perform best.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4