Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Anyone seen Rogue 1 yet? opinions? [SPOILERS]  (Read 14414 times)

heskey30

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone seen Rogue 1 yet? opinions? [SPOILERS]
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2017, 10:33:57 AM »

The big advantage of kicking scientific accuracy out of the window is that you can make happen whatever is best for the story, dramatics, comprehensibility and visual presentation.
I would say consistency is one of the most important things you can have in a fictional world. While you give up the ability to write whatever drama you want, the consistency is what gives that drama its relevance. If I say 'Bob the space mage destroyed the apocalypse orb with the aid of his powers,' it just isn't the same as watching Star Wars. Thats because every bit of the movie, from the scenery to the way people interact and the dynamics of power are building on the consistency of the world. Its not just scientific things, its things like "the empire is much stronger than the rebellion and when it loses it is the exception" and "The force is an inherit power in all living things."

The consistency allows us to know when something is amazing and predict things that are going to happen through foreshadowing and imagine ourselves living in the world. If you damage the rules of a universe, not only do you end up with situations where the audience is thinking "WTF", you reduce it away from seeming like a living breathing world and bring it towards a rehash of the basic plot points which most stories share.

Fighting consistency-entropy is hard but it is necessary! For the good of nerdom!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone seen Rogue 1 yet? opinions? [SPOILERS]
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2017, 01:30:43 PM »

I would say consistency is one of the most important things you can have in a fictional world. While you give up the ability to write whatever drama you want, the consistency is what gives that drama its relevance.

I agree, drama needs consistency to be relevant - but consistency also needs drama! Otherwise you'd end up with a perfectly logical, bone dry protocol of events, not a entertainment product. Of course, in a perfect world we we would always get both, but it's really, really hard to make something entertaining (for a broad audience) and long-time consistent. That's why there are so few examples of it. In reality there has to be compromise somewhere, although I'd agree that the balance is all too often tipped toward the entertainment side.

Fighting consistency-entropy is hard but it is necessary! For the good of nerdom!

You could almost define a nerd as someone who values consistency higher than the average consumer. If you do, that would be a never ending "fight" (because of a changing average). I think at the end you can do more for your enjoyment of media by accepting the necessity of compromise :)

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: 1 2 [3]