Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Avorion  (Read 11790 times)

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
Avorion
« on: February 04, 2017, 06:56:13 PM »

So, anyone played Avorion yet?

I have and it's a time-occupant, thankfully :)

Right now i'm enjoying it and the awkward looking ship designs. I also cannot wait to build a battleship and have a fleet with me to hunt some pirates.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Avorion
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2017, 07:16:39 PM »

So, anyone played Avorion yet?

I have and it's a time-occupant, thankfully :)

Right now i'm enjoying it and the awkward looking ship designs. I also cannot wait to build a battleship and have a fleet with me to hunt some pirates.
Link?
And what is it about?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2017, 10:22:45 PM »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/445220/

It has really high user reviews.  Personally, I'm trying not to add another early access game for me to burn out on before it's actually done.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2017, 11:01:54 PM »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/445220/

It has really high user reviews.  Personally, I'm trying not to add another early access game for me to burn out on before it's actually done.
Yeah, I've seen this once before. Looks fun but it is EA so I shall follow it
Edit: Ugggh... MINIMUM Open GL 3.0... >.> Don't even know if my crap HD 3000 can do this thing
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 11:20:50 PM by Midnight Kitsune »

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Elaron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2017, 08:51:11 AM »

Edit: Ugggh... MINIMUM Open GL 3.0... >.> Don't even know if my crap HD 3000 can do this thing
There should be support for OpenGL 3.1 in the current drivers.

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2017, 04:49:55 PM »

Positives:

• Active developer who both reads and responds to user comments. This is seriously great
  • The building of ships is intuitive
  • Mod support
  • Official servers are being added
  • Plenty of pleasing to look at things
  • You can be successful (credits, resources) in a number of different ways such as trading/pirating/killing-baddies/missions/exploring
  • You can have significantly different ships with different ship designs
  • Multiplayer
  • Appreciably different weapons
  • Very playable as the game stands, although -especially- in singleplayer
  • You can have ships mine/fight for you

Cons

• It's early access. Some features are incomplete while others are missing entirely or in need of adjustments
  • Multiplayer bugs. The netcode is bad. The developer has already released a few patches that have helped significantly and has stated this is the primary concern for the short-term future. As of this post, other player and NPC ships stutter
  • The galaxy is composed of sectors. A sector that the player isn't in will be frozen, meaning that if you have a station or whatever there - it is frozen. Kind of makes the world seem less alive and persistent. This is an early access problem
  • This is a resource gathering game. At the end of the day, you're going to be spending a lot of your time oriented around that in one way or another (whether designing or managing ships to mine/scavenge-ships for you or doing it yourself). To me, this is a con. It means someone having a *** ton of more time on their hands is simply going to have a lot more ability to do whatever. I like to spend my playtime playing more than grinding if that makes any kind of sense. And while trading is even more effective at bringing everything in, it's even my arduous to me personally. That is to say that it's extremely easy, but it requires more active attention than mining/scavenging where you have the option of periodically going AFK
  • The combat tends to feel like stat wars to me. Your weapon types, quality, number, ship systems, health, and shields vs theirs. And in multiplayer, the other one would simply warp out if they were losing - pretty PVE focused right now imo. Speaking of which, you can almost always boost away to regen your shields if you're losing a fight PVE - even if you have a really big and slow-turning ship (not to mention FTl out). This works solo most of the time because you can take out a few ships before retreating (since their shields regent too). Hard/boss fights often consist of a players taking turns regenerating shields because staring straight at each other firing is largely how combat works here. Although, by the time I reached the boss, my ship would regenerate its shields completely once per five minutes and it took over five minutes to deplete the shield. So basically invincible against the toughest PVE opponent in the game. The space combat dogfighting feel is severely lacking for me so far, which is my favorite thing about space combat (I miss you Tachyon).
  • While the ship building is cool and what you make matters in terms of the ratio of generators/hull/engines/weapons/etc, ship shape and placement of said parts feels extremely arbitrary. I guess this is also a pro because you can build some really cool looking ships that wouldn't be practical otherwise, but it's also frustrating if you're someone who feels the need for a specialized ship without the ability to really build advantageously for it. What makes a ship different are the parts that are used over how you design the layout of your ship if you catch my drift. This problem is exacerbated by the fact that a ship will likely be destroyed before much if any blocks have been
  • Bad AI and other fleet management problems
  • Various quality of life bugs that are cumulatively important but are known and not worth breaking down
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 05:14:40 PM by AgroFrizzy »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2017, 05:45:21 PM »

I just read that this game needs to be connected to their servers to work in Single Player? Is this true?

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2017, 06:12:18 PM »

I just read that this game needs to be connected to their servers to work in Single Player? Is this true?

Nah, the way the game is managed it just creates a local server just for you when you play single player though.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2017, 06:16:26 PM »

Nah, the way the game is managed it just creates a local server just for you when you play single player though.
So I can play it without internet?

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2017, 06:24:11 PM »

So I can play it without internet?

Yeah  :)

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2017, 07:33:06 PM »

the way the progression works completely kills pvp, you just cant compete with higher tier materials and it isn't more (intrinsically) expensive to build them, you just have to mine in higher sectors.  A lowbie iron or titanium ship would be largely crap even in a supporting role against a t4 ship.

The economy looks very complicated. I am not sure any empire would have a functioning economy even if more than one sector was running.  I lack confidence that the devs will even be able to implement 'Out Of Sector', so we'll see.

Most opposition in the game so far looks like it's just the random pirates and xsotan ships that attack the sector you are in occasionally.  The player is kind of a plague that way,bringing death chaos and destruction to whatever sector he's in...   I would prefer a more deterministic approach to encountering pirates, and for xsotan attacks to be more rare and notable. Often times the xsotan ships are actually beneath the sectors tech level which is silly.  There's a lot better ways to handle it to be sure.

New Avorion players should make sure to note that you can use the mouse to set turret modes for any group with Independent turrets. This is how you can get turrets firing automatically; particularly useful for mining.

Not a fan of the diablo-esque handling of weapons. Besides making it very difficult to actually get two of the same weapon, certain rolls are just massively better than other rolls.  I would prefer a more concrete system of baseline turrets.  For one thing that would be

Other than that the game is pretty cool. I would suggest turning down collision damage to 0.5 also :^)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 07:40:40 PM by ChaseBears »
If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 10:20:41 AM »

Not a fan of the diablo-esque handling of weapons. Besides making it very difficult to actually get two of the same weapon, certain rolls are just massively better than other rolls.  I would prefer a more concrete system of baseline turrets.  For one thing that would be

I agree with pretty much all of your points. There is something worth noting here though.

There are turret factories? where you can build turrets if you have the right resources. Different turrets have different requirements. The tier of the turret will depend on what type of sector it's in. You can't build the very best turrets in the game this way (legendary or exotic) but you can make blue ones.

Research stations allow you to create a better item out of existing ones, whether it's a system or turret. The type will be determined by the research items. So if you're putting white shields and white energy, it'll be shield or energy. 3 items are required and you can do up to 5. 5 is basically guaranteed while 3 is ... I'm not sure. I want to say the chance with 3 is greater than 50% of getting an item of one higher rarity (green from white) but I'm not certain.

ChaseBears

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2017, 01:01:18 PM »

I've noted both of those. I'm leery of the turret factories. Compared to the (considerable) effort of putting the resources together, it's relatively simple to jack the sliders up and get a group of really good Exceptional turrets.  Once you have the resources they seem to make most drops obsolete.....  I have yet to really engage in trading though.

I've only found one research station so far, and it did seem to me to work the way you described - 50% chance or so and all. Not sure if you get a better chance for putting 5 items in. But i found it too much of a PITA to try to save my drops to go use them in research.  It is annoying to put turrets on a ship when you have to scroll through dozens or even hundreds of them - another problem with diablo-esque systems is the flood of worthless crap.  At the very least, it needs some sort of mark as junk functionality.

If I were creating the world I wouldn’t mess about with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers, eight o’clock, Day One!

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 09:05:43 AM »

I play this on Kane Hart's server.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2017, 11:55:17 AM »

Looked at this with a friend who bought it, then didn't buy it.

Essentially, it has all of the problems of procedural, build-your-ship titles:

1.  You can very easily min-max designs that will kill anything in the game. 

2.  Combat is super boring and un-fun.  Newtonian physics sounds great until you realize that combat basically consists of heading right towards opponents and kill them in a single pass (very easy) or developing ships that can circle-strafe (which is only slightly harder).

3.  Lots of clunky implementation of the build interface (for example, while building, the game continues to run- better not get into combat with a half-finished ship).

4.  Use of lots and lots of RNG elements means that building standardized ships is difficult.

5.  Absurd "balancing" in the later stages of the game mean that large ships are essentially just stat-bricks that out-stat each other.

6.  Trade is really broken; you can make all the money you'll ever need in a couple of hours.  Grinding for resources, on the other hand, is badly set towards grind and is boring and repetitive.

7.  To say that the plot is "accessible" to the average gamer is quite a stretch; it's poorly-explained and you pretty much have to read Forum posts to even know what to do.

8.  Modding is nascent, but might eventually address some of these issues. 

Basically, it is a game that reminds me of why I like Starsector:  while I can complain that ships and weapons aren't well-balanced on the whole, it's at least addressable because they're a fixed quantity; games like this just chuck these considerations out the window and aren't even slightly fun if you're even moderately competitive.  I think that the game might have been fun if the ships, weapons and gear were chucked out, replaced with reasonably-well-balanced fixed assets and the combat model was fixed so that it was fun to actually fight stuff; the engine's pretty cool and the basic premise isn't terrible.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: [1] 2