Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Java SE error when saving  (Read 3490 times)

Orloth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Java SE error when saving
« on: January 29, 2017, 07:41:59 AM »

I have had repeated Java SE binary errors when I save games. Generally happens later on in a play through. This corrupts the save sadly. I have found a thread on how to go back and get the save before that running, (thank you to the individual posting on removing the .bak), but I still lose all progress made. I have upped the memory in vramp to the 4mg threshold so the game has memory for the mods so I am unsure what can be causing this. Is this fixable on my end or is it a Java/Starsector compatability issue that will work out as both get new updates? Using the latest java and SS 7.2

Thank you in advance for any information on this.

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
Re: Java SE error when saving
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 08:27:51 AM »

"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

Orloth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 09:26:36 AM »

I had made the memory changes, but that is the first time I have seen info on not using JRE 8. thank you very much for the help, I will download java 7 and give it a whirl.

Orloth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2017, 10:50:23 AM »

Well, changed to Java 7 and now instead of a Java SE binary error I get a Fatal Heap error. This a memory error isn't? I have the vramp file setup to start at 4mg and expand to 6mg if needed...

-server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms4096m -Xmx6144m -Xss4096k -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;jinput.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\\mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2017, 01:36:59 PM »

Obvious question, can you assign more memory to try and get it to work?

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »

From what I can tell, you messed with the value you shouldn't have touched at all.

Here's an example of a memory allocation in the vmparams:

-Xms7680m -Xmx7680m -Xss1024k

Only modify Xms and Xmx, and set the memory to the size you want immediately instead of letting it expand to prevent performance issues.

The Xss value should not be touched.
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC