Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: We'll get an improved hull mod menu  (Read 6152 times)

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
We'll get an improved hull mod menu
« on: January 24, 2017, 02:45:21 PM »

Via Alex' twitter:

Very nice, isn't it?

I just wonder if Insulated Engine Assembly is sorted into Defensive or Engines? It would fit into both.

Mh, if the Engine category were called "Mobility" then IEA's place would be clearly in Defensive.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:24:16 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: We'll get a improved hull mod menu
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 02:55:09 PM »

If it's anything like the trade category tabs..... I'll never use them =/

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: We'll get a improved hull mod menu
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 03:17:02 PM »

QoL features are always welcome! Now that more have been added, Alex has surely avoided future complaints from that guy who would have normally whined that "The UI is clunky!".
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:18:42 PM by Dri »

RickyRio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: We'll get an improved hull mod menu
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 05:44:08 PM »

posted today via Alex's Twitter, new weapon fitting dialog

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 05:48:13 PM »

ooh i like that. should buy Legal / buy illegal be a toggle? usually i buy weapons / ships regardless of black market or not

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 08:58:07 PM »

Spoiler
[close]

Just what the doctor ordered!

I'd guess each button is a toggle like the codex uses; so clicking a button hides/unhides all weapons from that category. (Also it took me a while before I realised the numbers next to the titles are hotkeys and not the number of weapons in that category)

It's interesting that range is the only trait that gets specified in the text label.
Could probably squeeze a couple more important ones in with abbreviations; e.g. "Kinetic, d211 f169 r800" for DPS, flux and range respectively. Might take a while for the user to figure out though.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 03:23:10 AM »

It's interesting that range is the only trait that gets specified in the text label.
Could probably squeeze a couple more important ones in with abbreviations; e.g. "Kinetic, d211 f169 r800" for DPS, flux and range respectively. Might take a while for the user to figure out though.

I think it's good as it is. Range is by far the most important of the stats, it decides about compatibility with other weapons/the general ship role. Damage and flux influence only how good that role can be fulfilled.

Nice to see the UI get some polish before release. I wonder if the Codex will finally get that treatment, too...
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 05:52:37 AM »

I like the Black Market filter.  I do not like buying from those markets unless the station is an enemy or free port (or decivilized) because I do not want to deal with customs.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 08:16:45 AM »

how is 0.8 still getting better at this point?! i love the weapon sorting! O:

I'd guess each button is a toggle like the codex uses; so clicking a button hides/unhides all weapons from that category. (Also it took me a while before I realised the numbers next to the titles are hotkeys and not the number of weapons in that category)
i also thought those were numbers of weapons rather than hotkeys, initially. ^^

hmm, how about instead changing hotkeys for the top row to F1-F3, and the bottom row to number keys 1-3? i think that would feel a little bit more intuitive than the bottom row being 4-6, and would immediately make it clear that these are hotkeys rather than numbers of weapons in that category. if weapon types are supposed to be the more frequently used toggles, those could switch to the bottom row and keep their current hotkeys, while market toggles would be top row with F1-F3.

also, i think it would be nice if "ballistic" and "buy legal" wouldn't have the exact same color. maybe change ballistic a bit further into orange, and legal further into bright/greenish yellow? and the grey of "owned" is quite similar to the blue of "energy" as well.

*nitpicks*~

Squish Cat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2017, 09:41:47 PM »

I just wonder if Insulated Engine Assembly is sorted into Defensive or Engines? It would fit into both.

Why not both?  I don't know if you can assign multiple tags to an object behind the scenes, but it makes sense that it would show up in both categories.  I know there is more than one mod that would fit under multiple categories like that.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 09:43:33 PM by Squish Cat »

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2017, 11:57:43 PM »

how is 0.8 still getting better at this point?! i love the weapon sorting! O:

It's a literal year of work, all dropped into one singular update.  Entire reworks of major game systems are footnotes at this piont.

Alex might be setting records for length of patch cycles on indie games under continual fulltime development!

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2017, 12:16:08 AM »

Why not both?  I don't know if you can assign multiple tags to an object behind the scenes, but it makes sense that it would show up in both categories.  I know there is more than one mod that would fit under multiple categories like that.

Welcome!

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2017, 06:40:44 AM »

I know there is more than one mod that would fit under multiple categories like that.
welcome! :]

i agree, having some hullmods show up under more than one category would probably be best. and with the (current) number of hullmods, it should still be only a handful in each category, keeping it clean and organized.

also, another nitpick: i think "Offense" and "Defense" as nouns would fit better than "Offensive" and "Defensive" as adjectives, since "Engines" (or "Mobility") is definitely a noun, and "Special" works both as noun and adjective. ^^

Squish Cat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2017, 05:30:59 PM »

Welcome!

welcome! :]

I'm not really new.  I've been lurking here for the better part of a year.  I just finally decided to say something.   :P

Culverin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2017, 08:55:42 AM »

man on man.  I'm so very excited!  :o
Pages: [1] 2