Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 641696 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1455 on: May 02, 2017, 06:37:33 PM »

There is a general option in settings or something that causes your ship to point towards the mouse as default control...is that what you want?

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: May 02, 2017, 06:41:57 PM »

@Alex

remember when I complained about poor performance in campaign mode? I figured it out, well, sort of. Chrome has this thing where it lingers in the background even after you close it, and I'd forgotten to turn it off on this computer, and it was messing with Starsector somehow - when Chrome's not running, the game runs fine.

It's still a mystery why Chrome sitting there not doing anything and using 0.1% CPU has such an impact on SS, especially given that it doesn't happen with any other game, but at least it's easily solvable.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: May 02, 2017, 07:31:37 PM »

@Alex

remember when I complained about poor performance in campaign mode? I figured it out, well, sort of. Chrome has this thing where it lingers in the background even after you close it, and I'd forgotten to turn it off on this computer, and it was messing with Starsector somehow - when Chrome's not running, the game runs fine.

It's still a mystery why Chrome sitting there not doing anything and using 0.1% CPU has such an impact on SS, especially given that it doesn't happen with any other game, but at least it's easily solvable.

Java plugin..?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

kobeathris

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: May 02, 2017, 08:59:55 PM »

There is a general option in settings or something that causes your ship to point towards the mouse as default control...is that what you want?

Yes, but while in combat. I find that is often useful to switch between modes, but it would be nice to toggle with a button rather than holding down shift. This is especially true with omni shields, sometimes you want to angle the ship, other times you want to angle the shield, and holding down a button gets tiresome after a bit.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: May 02, 2017, 09:31:33 PM »

Yes, but while in combat. I find that is often useful to switch between modes, but it would be nice to toggle with a button rather than holding down shift. This is especially true with omni shields, sometimes you want to angle the ship, other times you want to angle the shield, and holding down a button gets tiresome after a bit.

If you are holding down the button alot, you might want to invert the behavior in the settings
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: May 03, 2017, 03:39:01 AM »

About the tutorial, watching friends try it (and strangers on some different platforms outside the forum) I've seen people still having problems with it.

- It is not explained how you move "up" to the first debris field

-The number one problem is still missing the "quicksave" promt. For new players who have nor parsed the UI yet the promt is just not visible enough. I'd say go ugly big on this one. Maybe progressively growing font?

- On the salvage screen, missing the necessity to move stuff in your inventory and the "take all" button. It is seen as a "here is what you found and already took" kind of interface. Maybe a promt when trying to klick "confirm" without having taken anything?

- People start to refit the salvaged ships before they get the extra weapons, supplies and storage gifted. Maybe if the Hegemony officer would promise to help equip the ships before you go to salvage them, that would help. Or, better, when you'd get a comm request from him upon returning with the ships.
Also, I assume the gifts go to storage instead of your cargo to introduce that mechanic, but it never actually tells you about it, just to use auto refit. Maybe it should be more obvious that the "storage space" given to you is something you can actually access, and how. People miss the supplies there otherwise.

Generally, you have to stick pretty close to the prompts to go through the tutorial successfully. This is not clear however, it might be also interpreted as a "try all kinds of things out on your own" affair, which more likely than not, will break it. Maybe it should just state at the beginning to precisely follow the instructions, to make clear what type of tutorial it wants to be.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2017, 03:41:24 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

adimetro00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: May 03, 2017, 05:55:16 AM »

Autofit will use other weapons, yeah, trying to pick the most similar ones available. It will take weapons from cargo, but not from your other ships.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but I'm pretty sure the answer is "no" in any case :)

I mean, ships on fleets generated by the market, fleets other than you.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #1462 on: May 03, 2017, 08:16:26 AM »

NPC fleet spawning doesn't care about the weapon stocks available on the market.

JT

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1463 on: May 03, 2017, 07:59:23 PM »

-The number one problem is still missing the "quicksave" promt. For new players who have nor parsed the UI yet the promt is just not visible enough. I'd say go ugly big on this one. Maybe progressively growing font?

We can take a page from Ludeon and Rimworld on this one, since in spite of a few minor hangups here or there, RimWorld's UI is almost always top notch:

1) "Marquee entry"; along with an audio cue, any new alert will actually appear a few pixels away from its original location and then drop into position.  This movement exploits the eye's natural tendency to track moving objects and is an excellent attention getter.

2) "Bouncing"; every so often, an important alert will "bounce" on the screen; it will travel in one direction a few dozen pixels to the same distance it would have when it appeared, all the while decelerating as if affected by gravity, until it accelerates into the opposite direction and falls back into its original position.  (In RimWorld's case, all of these alerts are aligned on the right-hand side of the screen, so they bounce to the left.)

3) "Pulsing"; if an alert letter hasn't been acknowledged for a while, it will glow with a halo according to its standard colour, enough to shade a small proportion of the peripheral vision in that colour, which then recedes back into the icon.

Any/all of those cognitive psychology tricks would work to draw attention to the prompt.

All that said, I think the best option would just be to get rid of the mandatory quicksaves and just suggest the player do so.  It's sort of silly to be forced to save the game to progress, since we've been trained over the past ten years or so to expect games to autosave on their own; especially in a single-savefile system like Starbleeper has, it's almost to the point of being contrary to our wishes to save except when we want to as well.  In ironman mode it'd be fine to include a guaranteed autosave, and in non-ironman the player should have the option of saving or not saving as part of that play mode is to choose when/if one wants to lose progress deliberately by saving before a particularly risky endeavour -- not quite scumming, but close.

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: May 04, 2017, 04:57:04 PM »

Newbie speaking ....

Tutorial: Revising the presentation of the prompts per Rimworld examples is reasonable, they do need to be more effective at getting attention. I didn't have a problem with them when well-rested, but they were easy to overlook when tired.

The tutorial had the correct level of detail: it was slightly pushy (which is good), forced me to use all key game mechanics that did not have a steep learning curve (and yes the save command is a key mechanic, newbies should not try playing ironman), but was not a personal insult to experience.

Kirschbra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: May 04, 2017, 07:26:47 PM »

I gotta say, the quick save prompt got me a few times I was llike wtf I can't turn on my transponder and they keep blowing me up, started over started over ect ect, then I got it,  all of those movement ideas are great ones.  the tutorial otherwise does great at introducing the concepts to new players. 

Other note, Alex, it was just my video card needed updating, havn't had any issues since, I just didn't think of it since the first time I installed the update it ran for like 3 hours before I got that crash to desktop issue. 

and just loving the update, love it.  are there any mechanics in the current build that do anything with colonizable planets?  or is that something planned for later updates?  I just noticed a few colonizable planets that I could go into low orbit and see the planet/market modifiers.  It will be amazing if we can build our own faction eventually? or at least build space stations and colonize planets for your faction.  maybe even terraforming planets..    Also are there still no mechanics for taking over pirate bases ect,  I'd really like to be able to eliminate the pirates base from the corvus system, it would also do more to force players to eventually wander out of the core worlds.  And battles that involve stations would be amazing!!! which would give more use to capital ships, as it is now they're just too expensive to run for no real reason when a good fleet with some cruisers does just fine.   I think eventually making exp gain slower would be good towards final release, as it is now, I got to lvl 20 before ever leaving corvus...  it's very easy to lvl up.  Keep up the great work, your game is amazing (release on steam and make a bunch of money)

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: May 04, 2017, 10:32:30 PM »

I seem to have resolved that BS issue on my end, so it must have been a memory issue.

I'll take it with a pinch of salt though. I'll let you know if it happens again.

Looking forward to the latest update, take your time if need be.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Shoat

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: May 05, 2017, 01:31:21 AM »

Having finally gotten around to playing the new update, I'm not sure if the "safety procedures" rank 3 bonus (reduced stat-penalties from d hullmods) is working correctly. The d-mods' tooltips don't seem to have changed - are the actual effects correctly being reduced or if it is supposed to only work for d-mods that happen after learning that skill?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: May 05, 2017, 09:40:50 AM »

Thank you all for your feedback etc! Not quite up for a detailed response (getting over being sick), but I appreciate it.

Having finally gotten around to playing the new update, I'm not sure if the "safety procedures" rank 3 bonus (reduced stat-penalties from d hullmods) is working correctly. The d-mods' tooltips don't seem to have changed - are the actual effects correctly being reduced or if it is supposed to only work for d-mods that happen after learning that skill?

Are you sure? It seems to work for me. It'll work for all d-mods, and the tooltips reflect the reduced penalties.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: May 05, 2017, 10:19:56 AM »

getting over being sick

Gute Besserung! (Get well soon!)  :)

Are you sure? It seems to work for me. It'll work for all d-mods, and the tooltips reflect the reduced penalties.

Seems to work on my end.

The only thing I noticed is that it displays the correct values everywhere, except when you click (not hover) on a ship's "?" icon in the fleet menu to open its codex entry. There the lower d-mod ship values without the skill improvement are displayed.

The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 116