Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 117

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 554628 times)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1290 on: April 28, 2017, 02:50:25 AM »

Every time someone uses JRE8 with SS I die a bit inside.

For every time it works OK for someone, it does not work OK for someone else. While JRE7 works OK for everyone. Meanwhile sometimes JRE8 only has subtle problems.

And the more folks use JRE8 when you are not supposed to, and also talk about it. The more folks that will use it, and the more problems it will cause, the headaches it sometimes causes us modders and Alex are vast and everlasting... To the point where it was prudent to block using the wrong JRE unless someone specifically goes out of their way to use it anyways.

So seriously, please stop using JRE8 for that will improve the overall health of the game. Trust in what Alex and the modders have said in how it is a Bad Idea to not use JRE7.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: April 28, 2017, 03:09:11 AM »

There were complaints some time ago about Domain drones being too easy to fight. I said I didn't mind at the time, but by now I usually just send one frigate in an tab out of the game for 5 minutes.

I like the binary way restoring is handled. For super rare ships I don't care about the price, for bread and butter ships I don't care about some d-mods. There's not really any middle ground for me.
I've had the opposite feeling.
There have been some recovered ships I've wanted to use but couldn't because they had one d-mod which essentially made it worthless, when I either didn't care about or could work around the rest.
Tbh, that's usually degraded engines. Lower burn speed is not great but you can work around it. Lower combat speed is horrible but workable. Slower turn rate is just pure NOPE.

I don't suppose it helps much that while I have seen dozens of rare and valuable ships, NONE of them have been recoverable. They have all gone to salvage so far.
So I've not seen anything that's been "worth" restoring completely yet. But if only I could fix the engines on this beat up dominator I could actually use it for something.

Are you playing with the junk-fleet related industry skills? With them, I find every d-ship workable. And even if they get more often damaged and destroyed than normal ships, it doesn't matter too much.
Without the skills, I only use d-auxiliaries, the occasional early cruiser find (temporarily) and rare ships for restoration. If I'd try to use Ds for normal combat without the related skills, I'd not be happy either. Maybe that's the reason for our different experiences?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: April 28, 2017, 03:18:42 AM »

Idle query:
Has anyone managed to get any utility out of the Remote Survey skill?

I've used it a couple of times and then left it alone, as 9 times out of 10 I'll be going there anyway to either hunt for derelicts or survey it fully.
Knowing what it costs in advance has not been something I've cared about all that much.

Having to cart around volatiles for the neutrino scanner is vaguely irritating.
I'd argue that it was plenty balanced enough without any kind of consumption given it's accuracy (or lack thereof), that you can't use sustained burn at the same time, and it being a big "someone's here and doing stuff" flag to anything else in the system.

Are you playing with the junk-fleet related industry skills? With them, I find every d-ship workable. And even if they get more often damaged and destroyed than normal ships, it doesn't matter too much.
Without the skills, I only use d-auxiliaries, the occasional early cruiser find (temporarily) and rare ships for restoration. If I'd try to use Ds for normal combat without the related skills, I'd not be happy either. Maybe that's the reason for our different experiences?
Yes. I currently have that industry skill. And I agree that it does lessen the problem, although it is still a problem.
Reduced turn rate is such a huge handicap it essentially renders any combat ship so affected worthless. Especially if that ship has fixed weapons and/or shields.
My current fleet is almost entirely (D)s because there has been nothing else available, so getting that skill was a priority. But it still means theres a lot of unusable ships due to thier being poorly flown by the AI, or being too frustrating to fly myself.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1293 on: April 28, 2017, 04:12:29 AM »

Has anyone managed to get any utility out of the Remote Survey skill?
yes, for two reasons:

1) while i also usually fly to every point-of-interest in a system while exploring, i don't necessarily fly all the way to each planetary body, especially if there are several of them somewhat close to each other. i just use Active Sensor Burst when i'm nearby, that's almost always enough to see if there's anything worth taking a closer look at. Remote Survey combines well with that.

2) you can survey all the uninhabited planets in the core systems as well, where there usually isn't anything else to explore. doing one or two Remote Surveys while traveling between markets and jumppoints is often enough to get preliminary data on all planets, without having to fly to each of them in turn.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1294 on: April 28, 2017, 05:51:41 AM »

@Alex, is it intentional that autofit doesn't save weapon-group configurations? my Enforcer keeps putting Sabots and Reapers into the same group (which is just a terrible idea in general), same with HE and KI weapons (which probably doesn't matter for the AI, but it does in case i ever wanna pilot it myself).

CedricO

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: April 28, 2017, 06:14:33 AM »

When can we expect Starsector to pop on steam (early access?).
steam, yes. most likely. once it's done.
steam early access, definitely not.

Why not exactly? Early access works well for games where the dev actually updates the game (like in the case of this one) It would also help attact more players.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: April 28, 2017, 06:34:56 AM »

The Steam community has the patience and sense of a hungry three-year-old. In the time it takes to develop one major Starsector update the game's reviews and forums would go through four cycles of ecstatic praise to hysterical meltdown to angry accusations of ripping off and back to ecstatic praise. Nobody wants to deal with that unless they have to, and Starsector doesn't have the kind of budget requirements to need early access funding.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: April 28, 2017, 06:35:45 AM »

Since this is a game that pretty much gets 'rereleased' each new version every 6-12ish months. Each version is aimed to be a playable experience, and updates are rare after the .1 version of each major release. It doesn't have a constant back and forth each week/month of development, filled with half-done features and playable-but-not-really gameplay.

Plus, it's overhead the dev team will need to have. given ratings, reviews, keeping people happy during the dev period.. instead of a casual forum which they can check, or not, of their own volition.

Read more about why and how SS is developed the way it is in my old-but-still-current interview i had with Alex a while back.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: April 28, 2017, 07:43:27 AM »

Started to read that interview and lol'd that I only paid $10 for this game.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: April 28, 2017, 08:20:12 AM »

Reporting potential bug.
Taking contract for metal delivery.
Having three cargo freighters and some other ships.
Loaded to the max with metal(about 1000) and supplies, heavy machinery and some weapons(~650 cargo space). Max capacity.
After doing jump to hyperspace on my way to jengala i get approached by pirates who demand to hand them stuff.
Refused and try to run but failed.
3 cargo haulers get destroyed(mule, Gemini and colossus).
I run with two shepards, tanker and wolf.
Thing is I have only crew and fuel left.
Nothing completely nothing in cargo. I should at last have some supplies or metal I transported or spare weapons. But there is nothing.I still have ~+250 cargo capacity and was full(minus few supplies that was eaten).
I do not think that something like that should happen.
I will try to recreate it . Back log if anyone interested can send.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: April 28, 2017, 08:56:51 AM »

David. I love you.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Bitbucket profile
    • Email
« Reply #1301 on: April 28, 2017, 09:12:38 AM »

Huh. Damn, nice catch; I only recognized not-Yang and not-Morgan (and I wouldn't have managed even that if I hadn't seen David's tweet way back when).
(Even now, not-Zakharov looks more like Michio Kaku than anyone else)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: April 28, 2017, 09:30:49 AM »

Within the solar system view; the animated star itself; The core seems to be larger than that of a white dwarf.  I posted a comparison here:
http://imgur.com/a/cL3qT

I know my last post was a little long; but don't forget to rename F-class stars so they are named differently from White Dwarfs:
http://imgur.com/a/LPDO5

Hmmm, I just noticed that the White dwarf in Arcadia is a lot bigger than the one on Magec...so I guess the size of Neutron stars/White Dwarfs might vary anyway.

Ah - Achaman it just abnormally small, being in a hand-made system. Have to say, though, I'm not very keen on renaming white dwarfs to anything else - feels a bit pedantic to me; so much stuff isn't scientifically accurate anyway, so it's a distinction that's not likely to add any clarity.

@Alex, is it intentional that autofit doesn't save weapon-group configurations? my Enforcer keeps putting Sabots and Reapers into the same group (which is just a terrible idea in general), same with HE and KI weapons (which probably doesn't matter for the AI, but it does in case i ever wanna pilot it myself).

Made a note - right now it just auto-assigns.

Reporting potential bug.
Taking contract for metal delivery.
Having three cargo freighters and some other ships.
Loaded to the max with metal(about 1000) and supplies, heavy machinery and some weapons(~650 cargo space). Max capacity.
After doing jump to hyperspace on my way to jengala i get approached by pirates who demand to hand them stuff.
Refused and try to run but failed.
3 cargo haulers get destroyed(mule, Gemini and colossus).
I run with two shepards, tanker and wolf.
Thing is I have only crew and fuel left.
Nothing completely nothing in cargo. I should at last have some supplies or metal I transported or spare weapons. But there is nothing.I still have ~+250 cargo capacity and was full(minus few supplies that was eaten).
I do not think that something like that should happen.
I will try to recreate it . Back log if anyone interested can send.

Thank you, made a note - yeah, that sounds like a bug. There's a similar one for fuel, too.

Hazard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: April 28, 2017, 09:39:12 AM »

Hehe, I did immediately think of Corazon Santiago when I saw the lower left female portrait for the first time, but only now I get the others as well.

Also, not-Miriam's look matches her personality much better than the original portrait ever did. :D

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: April 28, 2017, 09:56:34 AM »

David. I love you.
<3

(Even now, not-Zakharov looks more like Michio Kaku than anyone else)
You got me; totally used Michio Kaku as the reference because I think he looks more like Zakharov than Zakharov does.

Also, not-Miriam's look matches her personality much better than the original portrait ever did. :D
That one is based on Louise Fletcher (who played Kai Winn on Deep Space 9 and Nurse Rached in One Who Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest). She'd be the perfect Miriam in SMAC: The Movie.
Pages: 1 ... 85 86 [87] 88 89 ... 117