Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639118 times)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1200 on: April 24, 2017, 05:05:02 PM »

Spoiler
you don't need a military market to keep a strike fleet in dark mode nearby :-) /spoiler]
[close]
Spoiler
true. although i think "dark mode" isn't really the usual style of Luddic fanatics. :P
[close]

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: April 24, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »

Are there technical or gameplay reasons that stabilized cargo pods only stay that way for 100 days? I'd love to put down permanent emergency stashes in far away systems, for when I get in trouble later. Which, inevitably, will happen :)

Didn't want it to step on potential hypothetical things. I mean, if it's permanent it's basically an outpost.

@Baqar79: when you say heavy damage, is it mostly armor damage with some hull, or is it actually losing the fight because of it? The AI is now much more willing to take some damage on armor (and a bit on hull) to avoid costing itself flux, so unless it's actually losing these fights, this may be normal.

Even if it *could* raise shields and block the damage, that'd still cost it a bunch of dissipation, so it's not a super-obvious decision. It should also get more careful once armor is stripped/hull starts going down.

If this is indeed an issue: seeing your specific loadout would help so I can run it against the 2 sim Sunders and take a look.

@Sy: yep, reported earlier and fixed.

I don't think I saved the Apogee loadout before going to bed unfortunately; so I did my best to recall the setup I used yesterday.  I've also included the Aurora loadout as well (even then, I'm not sure if this is the exact layout I used when I noticed it dropping the shields to take hull damage from the Heavy blasters).  Sorry about that  :-[

Apogee: http://i.imgur.com/QF2zjBj.jpg
Aurora: http://i.imgur.com/gfvUsfU.jpg

I created direct links, since the image gets blown up on the forum quite a bit even if I shrink it. 

Alright, I managed to capture several screenshots showing this behaviour again today, so I have placed them in an album here:
http://imgur.com/a/ljuRJ

Since someone bought up the flicker (I've noticed this as well, good to see there might be a fix!), I was wondering if there might be a way to launch the game to preserve the system gamma? 

I have a Wide colour gamut monitor, and if the gamma curve gets reset it becomes rather warm and overblows the highlights.  It's something that frustrates me in all games, but I probably represent a tiny group of people that have colour callibrated their displays.  Some games get away with this by offering a fullscreen borderless mode (which usually fixes this), or offering a dedicated mode that preserves the custom gamma curve (The Witcher 3 for example).

Luckily the little utility "color sustainer" seems to reset the curve back with this game once I switch into it; where as many games will not respond once in full screen mode.

OzOnyx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: April 24, 2017, 08:16:39 PM »

Thanks for your kind words! And for the bug reports; everything duly noted.

About the flickering issue - hmm. So part of the problem is I can't reliably reproduce it on my system, and when it *does* happen, it's nowhere near as pronounced as, say, in Weltall's video. The most I've seen myself is a very intermittent flickering of an icon, or a bit of text getting brighter for a split second, or some such - and it doesn't happen at all on most runs of the game.

However, I've made a small tweak that could potentially resolve the issue. Would someone who runs into this on a more regular basis mind giving this build a whirl?

Played a good few hours with that build and it seems to have sorted the issue. Thanks for the excellent and fast work  ;D

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: April 24, 2017, 08:49:16 PM »

Played a good few hours with that build and it seems to have sorted the issue. Thanks for the excellent and fast work  ;D

Nice, thank you for confirming :)

@Baqar79: Thank you, I'll take a look. The screenshots seem potentially within the bounds of "acceptable behavior", but it'll be good to see it in action.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: April 24, 2017, 09:01:41 PM »

This might be something particular to the High Intensity Laser.  This is mostly offhand, but I've been noticing ships being pretty cavalier about taking HIL hits for no readily apparent reason, which is a bad thing since it hits harder than a pair of Heavy Maulers.  Could be some combination of extreme range and near-instant damage application combining to be a problem for the AI's estimation of safe distances?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: April 24, 2017, 09:36:58 PM »

Looked at the ship behavior - looks like there was indeed an issue; it was rather underestimating what a "safe" amount of damage was. Turned it down, feels much better now. The Apogee (sans skills) reliably beats the two Sunders with the change, though it does take some heavy damage in the process.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: April 24, 2017, 10:00:01 PM »

Looked at the ship behavior - looks like there was indeed an issue; it was rather underestimating what a "safe" amount of damage was. Turned it down, feels much better now. The Apogee (sans skills) reliably beats the two Sunders with the change, though it does take some heavy damage in the process.

Oh, thats great news (I'm curious as to what "rather underestimating" was) :D

Well, there might be another issue (small one) to do with the crew losses in the after battle report.  After a battle the summary told me that I had lost 3 crew members.  None of my ships were damaged, so I assume these were through fighter losses.  However, when I checked my crew count I had only lost a single crew member.

I had a Drover Carrier deployed at the time with 2 wings of Warthogs (those fighters are very durable and pack a decent punch!).  I have recovery shuttles (-50% to crew losses) equipped on the Drover Carrier , -25% from fighter doctrine (my fleetwide ability), and -25% from Carrier command (Officer ability).  I guess there is some sort of cap so that some losses do happen.

I wondered whether it was showing the crew losses before all the modifiers?  

Edit: Yet another thing; This has probably been already talked about, but I've had a pristine hammerhead that was disabled during battle; then recovered after battle with supposedly no D-mods (none of those vertical orange bars on the ship recovery dialogue), but it still recieved the D-mod designation and damaged texture despite having no permanent damage.

http://i.imgur.com/dOujaNI.jpg
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 11:26:21 PM by Baqar79 »

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: April 25, 2017, 02:23:34 AM »

However, I've made a small tweak that could potentially resolve the issue. Would someone who runs into this on a more regular basis mind giving this build a whirl?

Yep, works for me, too. I'm curious what this "small tweak" was.

Funny, but I'm almost missing the little flickers now, as part of a diegetic UI they contributed to the withered-technology feel of the Sector :)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:16:17 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: April 25, 2017, 02:40:12 AM »

Yep, works for me, too. I'm curious what this "small tweak" was.

Funny, but I'm almost missing the little flickers now, as part of a diegetic UI they contributed to the withered-technology feel of the Sector :)

I'm trying this build out myself.  Unfortunately I did get some text flicker on the refitting screen (when installing hull mods). 

None of those big white background squares that would flicker into the foreground yet, so it seems to be an improvement so far.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: April 25, 2017, 02:43:35 AM »

Just realized the (d) Sunder I scavenged and repaired has 3 medium energy hardpoints. Is this intended?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: April 25, 2017, 03:09:43 AM »

I just noticed there are still screen-wide flickers, where the entire (or a big part of) screen seems to get white for ~1 frame. I noticed them first in a dialog window with a probe.

The (previously far more common) single UI element flickers seem to be gone for good, though. e/ Strike that, still there. I wonder if they were gone for a time, or if it was just conformation bias.

Just realized the (d) Sunder I scavenged and repaired has 3 medium energy hardpoints. Is this intended?

That's kind of like a hidden D-mod (downsized hardpoint), but not restoreable. Was reported in the bug sub-forum.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 05:15:59 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: April 25, 2017, 03:53:05 AM »

Blast, while in Corvus flying around the star I got some of those white square box flickers (rectangular boxes about the size of windows dialogue boxes), perhaps I'm having a different graphics issue if it has worked for some others.  :-\

DragoonKiller

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: April 25, 2017, 03:58:13 AM »

How can I find a probe on the outskirts of a nebula?
Does it mean you should go along the edges of the square nebula system, or you should travel along all edges between in-system nebula area and non-nebula area?
Or the probe is placed within a certain range of distance to system center?
I never complete the mission as I'm puzzled about the mission description......

PapaPetro

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: April 25, 2017, 08:49:51 AM »

The Neutrino Detector makes it a easier though not foolproof to find those obscure probes. It requires 1 point in the Sensors skill in the Technology Aptitude and costs 1 Volatile per day upkeep.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: April 25, 2017, 10:04:24 AM »

Loving the update so far!! Have to second everyone else that the Talons might be a little too strong now, a Drover with two Talons wrecks almost anything the Pirates field below multiple destroyer class fleets. Love love LOVE the salvage mechanics, makes losing a ship so much easier to deal with. On that note, not 100% on some of the combat AI. I had multiple ships engaging a lone Mora and I watched my (D) Falcon (no officer) decide it didn't want to overload (probably 90% flux or so) and instead tanked a Reaper on its front armor. One on one that might be the best decision, but that Falcon had a lot of support. It did survive, but I was not thrilled with the decision making haha! Maybe throw a little weight on "hey my allies can protect me when I overload" when looking at alpha strike level damage? Wouldn't be surprised if it already does and this is just a small quirk of the specific battlefield scenario, but I was very surprised by the decision to (ever) allow a Reaper to land. Thanks again for making such an awesome game!!!
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 [81] 82 83 ... 116