Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639142 times)

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1170 on: April 24, 2017, 11:50:59 AM »

question: why would I ever run a salvage rig instead of a shepherd? I feel like the one that requires a shuttle and a tug should probably have SOME advantage over the shepherd.
Quick math:
2 Salvage Gantries give a 50% bonus for 14 6 supplies/month.
5 Shepherds give a 50% bonus for 15 supplies/month.

Aside from the slight noticable supply/salvage bonus, there is one other advantage to Gantries: The 30 ship fleet limit. Dedicating 5 ships in your fleet to a 50% bonus is rougher than 2 salvage ships and 1 extra logistics ship.

The Shepherd has numerous other advantages. But most of them become less important in a sufficiently large fleet.
  • The drones are useful in combat, but are not as great as dedicated carriers.
  • The cargo and fuel space are eclipsed by larger, dedicated haulers and tankers.
  • The crew deficit of a Salvage Gantry is less noticeable when you bring crew around for noncombat reasons.
  • The worse burn speed of a Gantry doesn't matter if other ships are slower still.
Basically, if you hit all most of these notes, Gantries might have a place in your fleet. But you'll probably might just want Shepherds otherwise.

EDIT: Accurate numbers, and adjusted conclusions.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2017, 12:32:24 PM by Techhead »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: April 24, 2017, 12:12:02 PM »

2 Salvage Gantries give a 50% bonus for 14 supplies/month.

2 salvage rigs are 6 supplies/month. Or am I missing something here?

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: April 24, 2017, 12:13:33 PM »

I started today playing 0.8a, which I have to say... it is so cool! I am loving every second of it! Words are not enough to express how awesome and wonderful it is and it definitely was worth the waiting =) Thank you Alex for loving your game and making it more nad more workderful. Of course everyone that works with you and helps you to make it better and better. Even if I am just at the beginning, the game feels so awesome!

I am having only a slight problem. Occasionally I see something like a flashing/flickering of graphics, be it in battle or not. It kind of reminds me what was happening when in previous version I would use Shader/GraphicsLib. I am mostly guessing it is AMD and it's poor OpenGL support.

I am using the March drivers for my GPU, but I did not get the April ones, cause none of the changes were for R9 280X that I had, or it affected something I needed. I will be updating later though just in case.
Ignorance is bliss..

Paul_Kauphart

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: April 24, 2017, 12:23:17 PM »

Hi,

I just started playing, and so far it looks amazing.

I also encountered a minor problem : I remapped the campaign switch to ability set 1 and 2 to A and Z because AZERTY keyboard. And now the resume course shortcut (ie A) doesn't work.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: April 24, 2017, 12:29:50 PM »

workderful
workderful indeed. :D

I remapped the campaign switch to ability set 1 and 2 to A and Z because AZERTY keyboard. And now the resume course shortcut (ie A) doesn't work.
yeah, would be nice if we could remap resume & cancel course.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: April 24, 2017, 12:30:43 PM »

I might have been using some outdated numbers. Oops.

Fixing my post.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: April 24, 2017, 12:55:00 PM »

I might have been using some outdated numbers. Oops.

Fixing my post.

Hold up so a salvage rig counts as, what, a cruiser? I think ship size needs to be a little clearer now that so many ships have a special classification instead of just frigate/destroyer/cruiser/capital
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: April 24, 2017, 01:02:59 PM »

Hold up so a salvage rig counts as, what, a cruiser? I think ship size needs to be a little clearer now that so many ships have a special classification instead of just frigate/destroyer/cruiser/capital
Salvage Rigs are destroyers. Salvage Gantry hullmod is 10/25/30/40% increased salvage amount.

i agree some clear way of telling ship size-class would be a good idea though, especially with mods in the mix. there's still plenty of room on the left side of the stats screen, below CR stuff and current crew count. i know Alex doesn't want to put more info there than is necessary, but a single line ("Size-class: Frigate") would be enough, and it is relevant info.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: April 24, 2017, 01:05:11 PM »

Sadly I continued playing the game so log is probably worth nothing.
Will send another if its happen. Hopefully not.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: April 24, 2017, 01:26:45 PM »

workderful indeed. :D

I bet my subconscious made it like that, with all the work that was done for 0.8 to be this awesome =D
Ignorance is bliss..

OzOnyx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: April 24, 2017, 01:29:50 PM »

Is there anywhere in game to see what built in hullmods like the gantry do?

The choice between 2 Dram's and a Phaeton seems a little close aswell, there seems to be no real benefit to upsizing.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: April 24, 2017, 01:40:34 PM »

Two things: I dodged a pirate kill-fleet by going dark in an asteroid field right next to a dormant redacted. Pirates assault the redacted, I go to see if I can join them in taking them down & the redacted invites me to join them in fighting the pirates, because I guess the pirates are vengeful towards me. That doesn't seem right.
Two: Item description for Ion Pulser is "what a mess." That doesn't seem right either
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: April 24, 2017, 01:44:38 PM »

Is there anywhere in game to see what built in hullmods like the gantry do?
sadly not, no. the codex will probably include hullmods eventually, but will get a general rework as well, so Alex doesn't want to spend time on making changes or additions to it now.

i find the best way to check hullmods or the exact details of ship systems is usually just quicksaving, buying the ship in question (or spawning one in via the Console Commands mod), checking details in refit screen / simulator, then reload the earlier save.

The choice between 2 Dram's and a Phaeton seems a little close aswell, there seems to be no real benefit to upsizing.
agreed. i'd argue 2 Drams is actually the better choice, since they are much faster. with UI, they can usually escape any pursuing fleet's frigates without taking damage. Phaeton on the other hand is just as vulnerable as a Buffalo.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: April 24, 2017, 02:16:43 PM »

Sadly I continued playing the game so log is probably worth nothing.
Will send another if its happen. Hopefully not.
SS keeps several play sessions of logs so you probably should still send him your log(s)
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: April 24, 2017, 02:35:05 PM »

Here is a sample of the graphical glitches I am talking about.

https://youtu.be/7PK19hNap2w

It can be shapes like this one that to me they look like they get a texture stretched, or they can have solid colours. They happen all the time in battles, from one to multiple times, but I have seen them out of battles only 1-2 times.
Ignorance is bliss..
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 116