Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 641622 times)

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #990 on: April 22, 2017, 10:01:36 AM »

every "in the heart of [xxxx]" mission ive had so far i found the target in the sun's corona

the solar shielding has value now me thinks ......

Dwarfslayer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: April 22, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »

every "in the heart of [xxxx]" mission ive had so far i found the target in the sun's corona

the solar shielding has value now me thinks ......

try inside the event horizon of a black hole, i agree the dangerous terrain missions add some depth for the terrain and solar shielding as well  :P

stormbringer951

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: April 22, 2017, 10:26:02 AM »

I built an underwater fortress and ran an in-game kickstarter via twitter wherein I wrote propagandistic haikus and drew leader portraits to get other players to give me the gold and gems required to keep fighting and at least be annoying 'til the end of the game.

I'm going to need to try this if I ever get reduced to a rump state but not finished off. I think that only really happens for underwater-capable nations that get booted off the land though.

Also I'm now tempted to name my next overgunned ship "Rain of Stones"...
Weapons Group Controls mod - deselect all weapon groups, hold-down hold-fire mode, toggle alternating/linked fire
Captain's Log - throw away your notepad: custom notes, ruins and salvageable reminders
Old Hyperion - for your dose of nostalgia
Adjustable Skill Thresholds - set fleet DP and fighter bay thresholds

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: April 22, 2017, 10:26:47 AM »

Some feedback on a few things while they are fresh in mind and not weeks or month later before full feedback post.

Atropos:  This is a disappointment now.  At 2 OP and only 1000 damage.  It is barely stronger than a Harpoon, but only half the range, and possibly an arming delay (to prevent point-blank strikes).  I thought maybe it is still significantly faster than the Harpoon.  After trying both Harpoon and Atropos, I noticed both have the same speed and flight path.  In other words, Atropos is just a Harpoon with a little more damage, half the range, and costs double OP.  It is not a strike weapon anymore, just an overpriced Harpoon substitute.  The Atropos in 0.72 was perfect, or maybe slightly underpowered for its cost, but the 0.8 version is too similar to Harpoon, and overall inferior for what the player pays for.  Harpoon is the better bargain.

Astral:  It got two more medium weapons on the right side, and best of all, a very powerful ship system.  Fighter recall combined with fighters-as-missiles, this is much like the unlimited Fast Missile Racks and infinite Salamander exploit that Venture and Doom used to kill everything offscreen.  However, unlike that exploit, fighters are much slower and the Astral is too big and slow to run from much of anything.  It was amusing giving Astral PD beams and six (Dagger) bomber wings.  After they unload their Atropos, recall them, vent, and repeat.  Rather evil against a variety of small targets.  Not much use against an Onslaught that can burn drive toward Astral and kill it fast.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: April 22, 2017, 10:47:24 AM »

I agree that the Atropos should at least have 1250 damage (the flippin' Hammer has 1500) if it's going to keep the slower speed...

I feel this weapon was nerfed purely because the Trident bombers have them.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: April 22, 2017, 10:52:17 AM »

Not just Tridents.  Daggers use them now.  I have the feeling they were weakened for Daggers' sake.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: April 22, 2017, 10:53:09 AM »

@Voyager I: Thanks for the feedback, made some notes. Re: officer types, as well.

EDIT:  also I will literally never remember to turn my transponder back on when I'm coming back from the black.  Is this a problem with other people or am I just an idiot?  If it's the former, it might be nice to have the game give you some sort of reminder that you're about to commit a minor crime.

Same here (though in later playtesting, I've gotten into the habit of triple-tapping "1" when I get to a jump-point leading to a populated system - 1 to jump, 2 more to activate the transponder). I have a todo item to add some sort of visual to the transponder being on, perhaps that'll help.

Final thoughts:  the background of the REDACTED and their surrounding lore, the overall atmosphere of the game, and Alex's views towards risk vs reward and encouraging the player to make ethically questionable decisions for a quick buck suggests that selling all your AI cores to the Tri-Tachyons is going to prove to be an extremely good idea in future versions of the game and I cannot wait to find out how right I am.

:-X

Not sure if this was posted already but there is a minor bug with distress calls:
When you get rescued you have the option of paying for the stuff you get, it was always 20k for me so far. If you select that option you pay 20 (not 20k) and get relation bonuses. That sounds like it can be cheesed really easily.
The flip side is that reacting to distress calls also only pays 1/1000th of what it should pay if you read the log.

Thank you! I believe this is due to a different locale having different formatting for numbers (i.e. 20,000 vs 20.000) but that still doesn't quite explain why it wouldn't work. Even so, should be fixed.

I've only recently realised that once in a system where I have e.g. the location of a ship in my logs I can go to the log, click the black window saying "In-System" and then it will reveal the location on the system map.

For me that seems not really intuitive. Wouldn't it be easier to just add an according marker to the system map?

If you mean that it's revealing the location of an entity you haven't yet discovered: that's a bug! Made a note.

Sure, but when you're switching between ships in your fleet, you sometimes just exit with 600 extra crew. I wouldn't exactly want to vent 500 crew for 20 meters to dock back (at 1m/s ) which would mean i'm going to lose -666 supplies/second. :P Lose-lose either way.

You *can* drop stuff off into cargo pods, which'll stick around for a while so you can get it back later. This includes crew.

Tutorial feedback

My friend who just bought this game for 0.8a experienced this early on in the tutorial that has caused him to basically fail the tutorial.
Spoiler
I guess I messed up, economically.
You do like, a starter quest... and it says you have to go salvage these ships.
So I go to salvage one of them.
It's total crap, so I go back to base to buy crew and supplies to heal it up.
That cleaned out all my money though.
But the quest didn't continue. I guess I have to salvage all the ships for the quest.
So I go salvage the rest of the ships.
Bring them back to base... maybe to sell or whatever.
But then the quest guy is like "yeah, we will upgrade and repair them for free for you"
"But you have to buy the crew"
So like... I wasn't supposed to use all my money for the first ship I salvage... the quest was going to give me free repairs, and let me just buy the crew.
Anyway, I can't beat the mission, so I am stuck there. So... I guess I gotta start the tutorial over.
[close]
Basically he didn't realize he needed to salvage all the ships and would get free repairs. So he wasted all of his supplies and money fixing up the first salvaged ship, only to find out that it would have been free and now he has nothing.

Hmm. Given that the tutorial asks you to quicksave, I think this is ... not ideal, but maybe alright?

I guess it could always be made a bit more clear, but different things are clear to different people, and putting the tutorial on strict rails is tricky given how much you can actually do.

Really enjoying the game so far. :) One thing I've noticed is that if you set your destination to a jump point and then jump through it, you will still keep trying to go towards that jump point once you get out on the other side by default. Would be a good QoL feature to clear that once you go through or something, it's annoying those times you forget to do it.

I also think Transverse Jump should have a charge-up time, it's way too trivial to escape using it right now, makes Navigation a must-have. Navigation is back to being one of the absolute best skills in the game between that and the Sustained Burn bonus.

Noted.

@Serentis: Thanks for your feedback!

This essentially removes bounty hunting from the activities a new player will consider viable as a typical starter fleet has an effective range of ~3-5ly. Bounties appear at 10+ ly.
I could ditch my fleet and go forth with a couple of frigates, but what would be the point? I certainly couldn't take on a bounty with that.

I would ditch the fleet, yes. You can definitely take on the early bounties with 3-4 frigates. I'm not sure what's going wrong for you, though - I've been able to even go on a salvage expedition right off the bat with the post-tutorial fleet, somewhere 20 LY distant or thereabouts. Keep in mind that when you do defeat a bounty fleet, you'll get some fuel etc so you don't *have* to have enough to get back when you set off.

So I've managed to get myself into a position where I am trapped in a system becasue I cannot afford fuel, and have no means of getting it elsewhere. I don't have enough crew to man my ships, and I have barely enough supplies to run them. Essentially game over.

Distress Call ability! Slot 10 by default.

Lumen are tedious.

Hotfix #2.

Why the flares for the apogee? It has 360 degree shields so its not like a missile will sneak up its tailpipe, wouldn't a different system make more sense? Doesn't have to be something like sensor drones(though I'd love you if it was). Just something that effects it's engines or shields or something.

Its shield is Frontal, so there is a point to the flares if you're caught with your shields down. Plus even if it were Omni you don't always want to eat a torpedo to your shields. And overall the Apogee was too good (still a bit too good I'd argue), it needed a nerf.

That just about covers it, yeah - those exact reasons.

I agree that the Atropos should at least have 1250 damage (the flippin' Hammer has 1500) if it's going to keep the slower speed...

I feel this weapon was nerfed purely because the Trident bombers have them.

More about the Daggers, but yeah. May make sense to reduce the OP cost, I'll take a look.

(It had 1250 damage at one point during testing, and it was *insane* on Daggers.)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: April 22, 2017, 10:58:30 AM »

Hold up do torps get affected by flares? And while we're at it, ECM?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: April 22, 2017, 10:59:22 AM »

Ah, Daggers were swapped to have Hammers in earlier patch notes. I guess the complaint that having a super low-tech torpedo for a high-tech bomber was heard, heh...

Or maybe even 1500 damage Hammers were still too OP for Daggers. >_>

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: April 22, 2017, 11:04:29 AM »

Hold up do torps get affected by flares? And while we're at it, ECM?

I noticed Reapers magically swerving away from ships for some reason so... maybe? They really shouldn't even have the capability to turn though, so bug?

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: April 22, 2017, 11:09:19 AM »

I've seen it too. 8 pirates vs my kite_A with 8 hammers, smash & cripple the first 7 then the last Cerberus is magically saved by my precision snipe (see: full helms, double engine boost mods & 0 flux ramming it in the face) because of, I guess, flares
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: April 22, 2017, 11:12:15 AM »

If Atropos evolves into elite Harpoon, such that a singleton will cost 1 OP, then the dual rack should cost 3 OP.  With Atropos being a Harpoon clone now, I rather pick Harpoon for more total damage for similar strike capability, plus more range or point-blank strike capability.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: April 22, 2017, 11:26:00 AM »

Another thing I remember:  Helmsmanship 3, 0-flux speed at 1% flux.
This not very practical.  Before, I could have shields up and flux-efficient weapons fire at fleeing ships.  Now, with limited skill points, the benefit seems too marginal for the cost.  25% from before may be excessive, but 1% is very limiting.  Maybe I can have the shield up before I make first contact, but as soon as something sneezes on it or the ship opens fire, the bonus is gone.

Overall, it probably is not the worst perk, but with the 42 point max budget, I will probably leave Helmsmanship at 2 (which I consider must-get for all of my characters since I like a faster-paced game).

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: April 22, 2017, 11:27:46 AM »

i'd rather Atropos are reverted back (mostly, they were a little too fast/maneuverable in 0.7.2) to being a high-tech alternative to Reapers, and Daggers and Tridents get something else instead. even if that something else is exactly the same as what they have now. i don't think basically removing one weapon that was in a decent spot just so fighters can have something that uses the same name and sprite is a good idea.

and on the topic of torpedos, i'd also still quite like to see some torpedo that isn't a pure HE strike weapon, whether those are also used on some fighter wing or 'just' for putting on ships. an unguided or very-poorly-guided missile with energy damage and/or EMP would be neat.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 11:30:49 AM by Sy »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: April 22, 2017, 11:32:28 AM »

And maybe turn Daggers into a wing of four with Harpoons.  Tridents get a Harpoon rack.
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 116