Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639369 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #945 on: April 21, 2017, 08:11:53 PM »

Does it have something like "destroyed/ damaged/ downsized weapon mounts"?

No.  It has no D mods at all.  Nor are any listed on the info screen that I can see unless I'm missing something.  Here's a couple of screenshots I took through Steam where you can see the lack of mounts without any D mods listed.  In the first shot you can even see that it lists the total number of small energy mounts as 2 but it should be 4.  In the second shot, you can also see that I can pay to "Restore" the ship even though it isn't damaged.  Finally, in the 3rd shot you can see another Falcon that I bought from a shop (yes, I love Falcons) that does have a couple of D mods and yet those 2 middle mounts are operational. 

https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/811054860947735510/46B183F52EADDC10AF0DAFEC5DCE039E6F7B2DD4/
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/811054860947735994/2E7C1A41AC35C20ECDCA47A5BFA819F7BA400DC9/
https://steamuserimages-a.akamaihd.net/ugc/811054860947752848/06D5367B5735266859DFCB7C5FCFA8B42FB7FCE1/
I know why. The first two are premade ones I think while the last one is a generated one. You also might want to try the latest hotfix as well
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: April 21, 2017, 08:20:39 PM »

Issues/remarks of my first hour hands on with the new (and hotfixed) version :

- Once you get dumped into combat for the first time during the tutorial, i didn't see any big mention going 'push tab to go to ship view and leave map/command view', and if it was, it should have been a lot more clearer. Would suck for someone to think that's how the combat looks like. Also, it'd be nice to integrate the combat tutorial into this larger one. (Maybe allow the tutorial combat missions to be played from the Simulator? That'd be great.)

- I really love the skill system. It has 'chunky' perks which are within reach without 'farming'. Each category has some things you'd think to invest points in. Feels well balanced, if interesting how Fighters, being still a weapon system, falls under Leadership.

- Uhm.. the click-and-hold in the interface @ system map is a no-no. It doesn't seem to be used anywhere else so far (aside from trading) so makes it unnatural. This isn't mentioned by the tutorial either. Just 'clicking' (falsely taking the first option) takes you to 'show planetary info', which sure, has Lay In Course, but then i ask why do we have the alt-click menu? Also 'In-system'... doesn't really work as a button. It's a status, you don't expect it to be clickable. "(Click to) focus on system map" would be better.

- Regarding the system map, reversing the controls might work better, left click to drag, as that's the generally used command, and leave right click to take over the 'alt-menu' function like it usually does, and pop up the above mentioned control.

- Also regarding the system map. It'd be nice to have a bit of line-vector traces/trails, at the very least on planets and such, so we know which way they're going.

- lol, i can right click hold and spin the planet. Sure, i'll take it. I like the inertia it has too. :P

- Given 'priming', i'm not sure why that can't be extended to all the active abilities? With a toggle in the options menu or somewhere to completely disable? I'm sure misclicking Emergency Burn sucks as much or even more. Also, since Going Dark turns off the transponder anyway, shouldn't that be under a priming system as well? Just think this is an all-or-none kind of option.

- Still think an unsticky drag is better than click-click trading/looting between places but eh.

- Minimap could use some hover-over tooltip functionality, to take over the constant tabbing into and out of the map which was a series staple.

- Clicking minimap to set course, right now it clicks through. (also a way to 'unplot' a course?(LE: saw above minimap), maybe even some visual indicator of where we manually clicked?)

- Inhabited/Names is kind of a bad filtering system.. Wouldn't it be best to have a marker for inhabited places? Like asterixes around its name or something like that? And keep a single filtering option?

- It's great the game pushes you to quicksave often.

- Autopilot isn't very smart. That's good. You can suck in the cost of repairing corona damage with autopilot when you don't care, and be careful when you do. Nice.

- The world tutorial is fantastic, with its tiny storyline and how it threads all the mechanics together. Really brilliant. Could use a bit more atmospheric entry though.. with the salvaging bit. Feels gamey compared to the rest of the tutorial.

- Damage per shot statistic for energy weapons? It's there for ballistics.

- Hybrids slots have the same color as ballistics. (to be fair, coming back to the game after a while, the icons for the hull slots just seem like they could use a revamping)

- After i got the initial 'large' fleet, i got worried that i won't be able to supply it but after a few battles, on Normal, i found that to be not that large of an issue as i was used to. The balance so far seems to give enough supplies as to not "kill yourself with victories" as was the way before, which is great. Also, it's great we get to skip the 'hound vs wolf' 'hound vs reaper' 'hound vs buffolo' phase of the start game, as well as pushing enough ships on the player as to actually make it appear as a 'fleet game' instead of a 'solopilot' game.

- Sensors and the 'ducking' mechanics work pretty nicely and add dynamics to the galaxy map, and the added geography via the various backgrounds is fantastic.

- Borderless fullscreen? It is 2017. :)

-------

So that's where i left it for the moment. Just done the tutorial and flew around the initial system a bit making fits and blowing up fleets. I have to say, the game really does seem a lot more streamlined and balanced. We've been hammering at it for so long, it's clear the feedback was put to good use, and that really shows in what we got here. Well-done Alex.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:39:54 PM by Cosmitz »

DaLagga

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: April 21, 2017, 08:20:58 PM »

I know why. The first two are premade ones I think while the last one is a generated one. You also might want to try the latest hotfix as well

Why would premade vs generated matter?  It just seems to me that if two of my mounts are permanently damaged or whatever that it should show that somewhere.  Although, I've salved a dozen or more other ships and never had this problem.  It's only the Falcon's and it's on every single one that I've salaved (4 in total).  And I am using the latest hotfix (RC19).  

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: April 21, 2017, 08:30:57 PM »

@Cosmitz: Thanks for your feedback!

Why would premade vs generated matter?  It just seems to me that if two of my mounts are permanently damaged or whatever that it should show that somewhere.  Although, I've salved a dozen or more other ships and never had this problem.  It's only the Falcon's and it's on every single one that I've salaved (4 in total).  And I am using the latest hotfix (RC19). 

The "restore" function doesn't restore weapon mounts, and the restore dialog mentions this. The problem is that the Falcon (D) doesn't have the "destroyed weapon mounts" marker hullmod, so I can see how that's confusing. (It needs to work this way for... internal reasons. Weapons with missing mounts are a bit of an edge case.)

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: April 21, 2017, 08:31:39 PM »

You're welcome. Do a re-read since i've just finished re-editing it constantly for the past 10 minutes. :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: April 21, 2017, 08:35:18 PM »

Haha, will do. (Sorry about the lack of a point-by-point reply.)

Xeroshiva1029

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: April 21, 2017, 08:47:13 PM »

Hey alex, big fan of the game and i give it tunnnns of play time for a indy sandbox game =)

gald to see the updates are still churning out, you are doing great work keep it up dude, honestly if you went main stream like steam id rep ya ++++ stats =)

thanks for being a good dev to us fans

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: April 21, 2017, 08:57:27 PM »

Alex is there a use-case in which auto-fit is supposed to put your OP in the red? Went to refit after finally finding my second hammer rack for my Kite_A, popped over to my Mora to double check it doesn't need a mod upgrade & it's at 102 out of 70-- I think my autofit put safety overrides back on after I had removed it to add on the two base mods that I then marked as "always prioritize", maybe there's a conflict between the two behaviors?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: April 21, 2017, 09:01:04 PM »

Hey alex, big fan of the game and i give it tunnnns of play time for a indy sandbox game =)

gald to see the updates are still churning out, you are doing great work keep it up dude, honestly if you went main stream like steam id rep ya ++++ stats =)

thanks for being a good dev to us fans

Thanks for your support!

Alex is there a use-case in which auto-fit is supposed to put your OP in the red? Went to refit after finally finding my second hammer rack for my Kite_A, popped over to my Mora to double check it doesn't need a mod upgrade & it's at 102 out of 70-- I think my autofit put safety overrides back on after I had removed it to add on the two base mods that I then marked as "always prioritize", maybe there's a conflict between the two behaviors?

It's not supposed to do that, no. Could you mail me a save?

fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: April 21, 2017, 10:15:42 PM »

I seem to be constantly getting pulled over by a hegemony patrol, with neutral interaction. I have had my transponder on for a decent while so 'm not sure whats going on.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 10:26:30 PM by ArkAngel »
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: April 21, 2017, 10:25:33 PM »

Do you have the hotfix? Fairly sure that should be resolved by it.

ArkAngel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: April 21, 2017, 10:26:47 PM »

Do you have the hotfix? Fairly sure that should be resolved by it.
...Nope. I'm a dork. My bad, once again. Will I need a new fresh save?
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: April 21, 2017, 10:27:21 PM »

Should be fine - they'll nag you twice, and on the second nag it should kick off a cargo scan; then you'll be good to go.

ArkAngel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: April 21, 2017, 10:28:25 PM »

Alright, Thanks!

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: April 21, 2017, 10:30:11 PM »

I'm really enjoying the rebalance to ship fitting with the latest update.  Higher starting OP pools, cheaper mods, and adjustments to make less mandatory upgrades (I can fly a frigate without Unstable Injectors!) make it much easier to get down the basics, and when I do run out of room it feels more like making compromises than just being starved for ordinance.  I'm also enjoying the return of combat to a more reasonable pacing.

A few criticisms (SPOILERS AHEAD):

There desperately needs to be a way to segregate officers between fighter and combat skills.  It's one thing to get stuck with a suboptimal roll for a combat skill, but fighter skills do stone nothing for most officers and getting a permanent dead level on one feels bad.  Prospective hires also seem prone to generating with these kind of frankenskills, which makes finding decent officers harder than it's meant to be.  Top of the head suggestion:  the game goes into some detail already about how fighter command and combat piloting are entirely different skillsets, so make them into two different kinds of officer.  Making traditional officers is pretty easy; they just roll picks from the same pool as 0.72 plus Power Grid Modulation.  Carrier commanders are a bit harder, since in addition to wanting fighter skills you could also make a reasonable argument for them wanting any of the skills on the previous list, especially now that the Mora means there is a carrier that cares a whole lot about guns.  I'm not sure exactly what to do for them yet.

Fighting the automated defenses on Domain wrecks gets tedious very quickly.  The fact that they behave differently than regular ships is initially interesting and helps emphasize that you aren't fighting against human crews who value their own survival over victory, but their simple behavior means there just isn't a whole lot going on when you fight them, and combined with the lack of risk for most of the encounters it feels more like a chore than gameplay.  I'm at level 20 on an exploration run and I'm already at the point where I will probably deal with them by turning the ship over to autopilot and going to get a drink or something.

Exploration probably needs some more refined progression.  You can buy a Dram take a 100,000+ credit mission to the edge of the sector right out of the gate and generally have more money than you can spend, but the rewards don't progress from there and eventually the smaller missions on offer will barely cover your fuel costs (you can still explore profitably, but there's not much point to the missions).  Exploration contracts should probably start smaller and grow larger, with missions that demand a more developed fleet and offer commensurate payouts.

I had more to post but I spent too much time playing the update instead and now it's really late!

EDIT:  also I will literally never remember to turn my transponder back on when I'm coming back from the black.  Is this a problem with other people or am I just an idiot?  If it's the former, it might be nice to have the game give you some sort of reminder that you're about to commit a minor crime.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 116