Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 641480 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #885 on: April 21, 2017, 10:59:54 AM »

What are the rewards of improved surveying and salvaging?  Unskilled, it seems viable targets are very limited.  

I've found up to Class IV survey data and it was worth 55,000 credits at Jangala! You can make bank from surveying valuable worlds.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: April 21, 2017, 11:02:45 AM »

Class V data is worth 150,000. So are Alpha AI Cores. I've found two of each in my current playthrough so far.

I'm not sure about AI cores, but it's possible to get Class V planet data without any skills. You just get a lot fewer opportunities to roll the dice.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:05:46 AM by orost »

noego

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: April 21, 2017, 11:16:18 AM »

Oh ye wise and kind dev. Thanks for letting this drop on a Friday. Nothing better than to have the weekend to enjoy all the goodness. And possibly even report bugs!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: April 21, 2017, 11:16:55 AM »

I've run into a problem to finish a delivery mission...

Picked up a delivery contract in Asher in the Canaan system to deliver freight to Gilead in the same system.
When I reached Gilead all i could select was "Leave", there was no text for the planet info present.

I was shortly afterwards controlled by a Luddic fleet, retried after that, same result. I've also left the system and jumped back in, still only "Leave" available.

Right before I picked up the mission at Asher I visited Gilead and I was able to interact with normally.

Any idea what might cause the problem?

Edit: this was with RC 17, I've reloaded the save under RC 18 with the same result.

Could you mail me your save with the mission active? fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com.

Ubik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: April 21, 2017, 11:30:02 AM »

Could you mail me your save with the mission active? fractalsoftworks [at] gmail [dot] com.

Mail sent

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: April 21, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »

Sustained burn seems to trivialise sneaking into markets. It doesn't seem to increase your sensor profile by an appreciable amount and you can use it to get away from large fleets guarding the market fairly easily. They can eat my space dust as I supercruise through at burn 19 with my transponder off, (very briefly) stop to buy a ship off the black market, then continue powering away at high burn before they even get underway.

Good point - made doing something at the market stop your fleet.

I can see why you would think that, but when the options for three straight levels are "increase this skill or get strike commander", and strike commander was STILL an option when I had to select a new skill, it starts to get a little frustrating. I guess I just got a bad draw.

Yeah, that's some bad luck. I'd like to keep some randomness in the process, though, so that's a downside of it.

* you can't lay in course to a nebula from the system info screen, the button does nothing (which I suppose makes some kind of sense because there isn't a body selected, but in that case it should lay in course to a jump point, which is what it does when you lay in course to a nebula from the map)

Fixed!

* when you kill a bounty target but part of the fleet survives, it still has the yellow exclamation mark symbol even though you've killed the target and the bounty is complete.

Thanks, on my list.

While doing campaign tutorial, salvaging Domain Probes multiple times always guarantee a Gamma Core drop each time. I...don't think it's supposed to be happening?

Do you mean "scavenging", i.e. the ability? Possibly you just got lucky? I haven't been able to reproduce it - it's *possible* to get multiple cores, but it's not very likely.

For the mission log "Acquire jump-point data at Derinkuyu", the summary says "contact $dataContactName"... also in the very first transmission from the Ancyra commander, at one point he/she says something like "we're cut off from Sector like the Sector is cut off from the Domain", should probably be "we're cut off from the Sector".

Fixed, thank you.

Also, is there anything new to do to carriers or hullmods to get them into the game?

There's a new column for the number of fighter bays in ship_data.csv. Nothing else comes to mind immediately.

The supposedly abandoned station in Asharu seems to not be so abandoned, judging from it's description.

Fixed!

Question: is there any way to tell how many times a field has been salvaged? I ran into an issue where it was a field I had already salvaged, so I took hefty losses.

There's some text about how likely you're to find anything when you run "scavenge". For subsequent attempts, it should indicate there's not a lot to find. Also, the visual density of the field goes down significantly.

So far I'm loving .8! Marvelously done Alex!

Thank you!

Can you salvage /REDACTED/ ships guarding derelicts?

Can't, no. Not at this point, anyway :)

Flagship and ships with an officer in command nearly guaranteed to be recoverable if lost
Why nearly? And how is it determined?

It's actually 100%. The "nearly" is disinformation to keep a bit of a sense of suspense going. Don't tell anyone.

I would love to be able to tell my second-in-command to fight automated defenses. Beyond the first few times they really are just a stomp, and getting through that screen to the tasty tasty loot faster would be nice.

Hmm. Let me think about this - I think straight autoresolve would not be a great idea, but I do understand what you mean.

I think I figured out the problem. One of the ships (the cruiser) never entered the battle.

EDIT: Decided to try and retreat to see what happens... and the moment I unpause after ordering a full retreat, the rest of the enemies charge in. Weird.

Ahh, thank you, that's exactly it - fixed.

I found a rather gamebreaking bug. I can't load my savegame. This was after I had quit from a three fleet pirate ambush mid-battle and was trying to reload at the main menu. It just gave the standard error message.

Fixed in the hotfix, sorry! Save should load fine now.

Fought a Mudskipper MK2 with a hellbore. Killed it, got the Hellbore. Salvaged the wreckage, got ANOTHER hellbore. What.

Yeah, it's possible. They were carrying a backup. In case the first one broke.

i think i found a bug: with my first 4 skill points in the tutorial, i initially put 2 into Technology aptitude and 2 into Sensors, but then reset the points and went for something else rather than confirming the selection. however, it seems the 25% sensor-profile reduction from Sensors rank 2 was still permanently applied to my fleet, despite not having committed any points to that skill now. at least that's what the sensor-profile modifiers in the tooltip and the total number show, i can't say whether the actual numbers used in calculating detection ranges are affected as well.

Yep, this is fixed in the hotfix. It would indeed refund the points but keep the bonuses.

Are the Talon Interceptors really that good? They seem weak unless your stacking fighter skills for that -50% Damage Resistance.

It's not actually -50%, since reductions are multiplicative. It's .75 * .75 = ~.56, so 44%. Which is pretty close, but still.

Edit: I wanted to explore hyperspace right away but i need to do the tutorial right? Forced tutorials make me rage even though this one is really good :(

It's only required one time. Btw: in the hotfix, it also makes it so that it'll pick up that you started a game w/ the tutorial on and let you skip it next time around without you having to restart the game.

Edit: All is good made a new game and skipped tutorial, :D Awesome update btw

:) Thank you!

1) Can other fleets have these skills (eg. Hegemony Strike fleet)

Yes; which skills (if any) enemy commanders are likely to have is faction-dependent.

2) If you join a battle between Heg and pirates that has these skills, do u gain the bonus? do your ships count toward the bonus?

Yes and yes.

3) If you have the skill does it affect only ur ships or all allied ships?

Both yours and allied.

4) Do Nav bouy bonuses count towards the total coord manouvre bonus or is it separate? (does this mean that without the skill nav bouys do nothing?)
5) Do Nav relays count towards the total? (if not what is the max bonus for nav relays?)

A nav buoy adds +5%, up to the maximum. So w/o skill you benefit from up to 2 nav buoys. You can also benefit from the "Nav Relay" hullmod without having the skill.

6) Does ECM follow the above pattern?

Yes.

Fighters are absolutely unbelievable now. I expected them to be improved, but this is more than I ever dreamed of. Visually, fighter swarms are stunning! They function almost like a glue between ships and can bind a loose aggregation into a coherent entity, where now even the smallest frigate is not easy pickings any more. Tactically, they now dominate the battlefield. But not just with brute force, there is rhythm to them, and all other ships have to dance to the beat they provide. Their carrier performs as the conductor, controlling the ebb and tide of the music. Among them, the Astral is the most virtuous. Seriously,  I just played against and then as an Astral, it might be my favorite ship now.

... and they're probably a bit OP, but I'll let that slide for the moment :) Glad you're enjoying how they play!

What are the rewards of improved surveying and salvaging?  Unskilled, it seems viable targets are very limited.  I suppose in the full game, a good survey could let you find an ideal planet to build your base (and eventual war machine to take over the sector).  But, in 0.8, what is the ultimate benefit?  Merely more cash only?  If so, then that is not much different than the crew XP skill from pre-0.8, which the mean reason for me to get it would be to train more crew from green to elite quickly and sell for cash (although Making Do perk was good, but not as good as zipping around and killing everything with combat skills).

If I need salvaging to capture unusual Domain/alien ships or weapons, or even merely stupidly rare items like more Hyperions and Light Needlers, then I probably want to max the skill so I can get more goodies.  But, if all I get is more unusual but useless commodities or junk like metal to sell for more cash, then I may just pass on them so I can focus more on combat-related skills instead of convenient grind-less-in-the-campaign skills.  Same thing with surveying.  If all I get is datapads to sell, then it is just easier-way-to-get-cash at the expense of maximum combat potential.

Yeah, at the moment it's more of a "more cash and stuff" situation. Ultimately, they'll provide planets and items that you wouldn't have access to otherwise (or at least not in quantity), but for now it's not unreasonable to forgo them if you want to maximize your other skills. I'd say you'd be missing on a lot of the fun from the new update if you do, though.

The decision to make Advanced Optics built-in for the Astral is sound, but... what if I wanted to build a non-beam Astral? As stupid as that sounds. :-X

Then you can do that! As stupid as that sounds :)

I came across a lifeless planet with a market. :D

Should be fixed in hotfix!

Gotta say, about 5 hours in so far and this is unbelievable. Just found an officer on a derelict ship that had precisely the stats I was looking for to find a recovered Scarab(!) just floating around. The exploration/salvage mechanics have been wonderful because every time I'm out trying to survey something and running dangerously low on supplies/fuel, I end up finding a debris field or ship graveyard to pillage and keep on rolling. Bravo, sir.

Thank you!

I have not run across one yet but I'm hoping to find an active Comm Relay out in the remote regions because I've missed a few bounties (when I was in the system!) because I had no idea they were there. As bounty fleets are spawning "out there," if you are "out there," you never receive any messages. Not a big deal but annoying nonetheless.

They're all inactive - what you're describing does sound annoying, but there's also a neat feel to "coming back to civilization". Eventually it might be nice to be able to do more with all these relays etc.

Finally, I think it's been mentioned but I just went to a Tri-Tach world with 5 officers available and 4/5 had a carrier-based skills on them. Confirmation bias and all but it seems there is disproportionate weight on those skills.

Yeah, definitely confirmation bias. I think? 99% sure.

Skills are also feeling pretty good but I have to admit I'd gotten used to the speed of .7 and .8 feels "slow" now. I'm still trying to figure out which skills I want because so many are good. I will say using a point to "advance a tree up" never feels all that satisfying, though I know it's a long-term gain. Even a token boost to some minor stat would give me less buyer's remorse.

This is a tough one for me. Not having any bonus at all is a bit harsh, but it communicates the purpose much more clearly. If there was a tiny token bonus, I'm guessing there would be a number of threads to the tune of "aptitude X effect is underpowered".

Personally, I just wait until there's 2 points to spend, so I feel like I get something every time I spend points, whether it's for each point or not.

Been only playing the new version for a short while and so far I'm really impressed. The game is coming along so nicely Alex  ;D

Thank you!

• When leaving stations or planets, etc, it would be nice if our fleet wasn't given an initial velocity. During the tutorial, I sneaked into the pirate mining station successfully but when I left, my fleet was pushed directly at the nearby pirates and I was detected.

The fleet actually just retains its previous velocity. I just (not in the hotfix) made it so that it'll stop if you open the trade or refit screens while at market.

• Detection ranges / sensor ranges: I understand what the numbers mean, but I find the system unreliable. With the pirate mining base example, I had no idea how close I could be from the pirate fleet before being detected. I'm guessing this is intentional to make the system feel organic / exciting / etc.

Hmm - do you see the three arcs around the enemy fleet? Or is it with those that it's still feeling unreliable?

I dig this update. You're putting some 10+ man teams to shame with this pace of content.

It has been a bit over a year, but thank you anyway :)

Mail sent

Thank you, looking at it now.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: April 21, 2017, 11:34:17 AM »

One thing:  The tutorial mentions something to the effect that I should try to sneak into the pirate base.  I went dark, but too late, and got caught by the enemy Hammerhead and goons.  It was not too hard to kill them anyway (although it took me two tries due to stupid mistake on first attempt).  Wolf and Shepherd are a good team.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: April 21, 2017, 11:43:13 AM »

Skills are also feeling pretty good but I have to admit I'd gotten used to the speed of .7 and .8 feels "slow" now. I'm still trying to figure out which skills I want because so many are good. I will say using a point to "advance a tree up" never feels all that satisfying, though I know it's a long-term gain. Even a token boost to some minor stat would give me less buyer's remorse.
I think some of speed skills may be mandatory on all of my characters just to make things not agonizingly slow.  Especially, now since the only speed hullmod guts shot range too much for some ships.  With Wolf, if I take Unstable Injector, my shot range is so short that I might as well use Safety Override too for even more speed, but Lasher is much better at that game.

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: April 21, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »

• Detection ranges / sensor ranges: I understand what the numbers mean, but I find the system unreliable. With the pirate mining base example, I had no idea how close I could be from the pirate fleet before being detected. I'm guessing this is intentional to make the system feel organic / exciting / etc.
Hmm - do you see the three arcs around the enemy fleet? Or is it with those that it's still feeling unreliable?

Oh yeah, I'm seeing those rings... do they represent the distance my fleet can be from another fleet before being detected? I for some reason thought the rings were an early indication of nearby objects.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #894 on: April 21, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »

Yep, that's exactly it. They show up when you're near the detection range threshold - either close within it, or close outside it. If you mouse over another fleet, they'll also show up regardless of range.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: April 21, 2017, 11:53:14 AM »

Bug: If you have a course laid down but are currently in manual mode, crossing a jump point will make autopilot switch back on by itself. (This is usually not an issue because you'll override it immediately, but sometimes your fleet will try to jump back through the point you just came through, forcing you to click through the popup)

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: April 21, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »

Bug: If you have a course laid down but are currently in manual mode, crossing a jump point will make autopilot switch back on by itself. (This is usually not an issue because you'll override it immediately, but sometimes your fleet will try to jump back through the point you just came through, forcing you to click through the popup)

Happened to me quite a few times, too. Wasn't sure if it was a lay course thing or if I was clicking on the jump point by accident.

Also, does the "max skills for player" button on the mission refit screen do anything? It doesn't seem to in the simulator but I haven't tried it in the mission proper.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: April 21, 2017, 12:14:16 PM »

Salvaged this in a near core system.

That is all, it's perfect.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: April 21, 2017, 12:28:23 PM »

"A silent ring of adamantine material, derelict of a former age." Surrounded by half-working derelicts and dead debris.
>Fly through the gate
"Your (!) order your fleet to traverse the dead gateway. Your bridge crew is especially quiet during the passage."
Spoiler
"Nothing happens."
[close]
I know what they feel. It is not pretty.
But the narration is excellent.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #899 on: April 21, 2017, 12:46:40 PM »

I can see why you would think that, but when the options for three straight levels are "increase this skill or get strike commander", and strike commander was STILL an option when I had to select a new skill, it starts to get a little frustrating. I guess I just got a bad draw.

Yeah, that's some bad luck. I'd like to keep some randomness in the process, though, so that's a downside of it.
With the higher number of available officer skills, and the increased specialization in skills (not every ship has fighters, or even missiles, and there are less "always nice to have" skills), maybe giving the option of three instead of two might be a simple fix.
Pages: 1 ... 58 59 [60] 61 62 ... 116