Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639225 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #855 on: April 21, 2017, 03:52:53 AM »

Fought a Mudskipper MK2 with a hellbore. Killed it, got the Hellbore. Salvaged the wreckage, got ANOTHER hellbore. What.

You obviously built a hellbore from a mudskipper, duh.

Nah, the pirates were carrying a spare gun in the cargo bay.  ;)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 21, 2017, 04:34:15 AM »

>Find Mora in derelict field
>Find it's crew in another derelict
Didn't expect that, it was quite nice. It's a shame that I had to left out 5 hundreds of ore and metal because I found them first...
Also: sustained burn is SO GOOD. It makes me not care about what ships do I have because I won't be slow anyway.
Spoiler
Sindria pls
[close]

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 21, 2017, 05:35:21 AM »

The easy fleet from the tutorial is nice.  The best part is looting the Heavy Blaster from the Wolf.  There is also another Salamander, but I could not remember if it came from the wrecked fleet or the free storage.  Combined with stealing the other Salamander from my Shepherd, I got my Heavy Blaster Wolf with two Salamanders and three PD lasers.

Talons are nasty.  They are old Broadswords with Vulcan instead of LMGs.

Re: Heavy Mortar
The cost is fine.  It is the HE version of Arbalest.  If Heavy Mortar costs more, I want 800 range to match heavy AC.  As for Heavy Mortar, it is good for the Hammerhead when I did not have two LAGs for the front mounts.  It got by with two Heavy Mortars and two Light Autocannons.

Re: Sustained Burn
This is like running in Doom, where you always held the Shift key because the speed increase is all good and no downside.  Despite reduced maneuverability, the extra speed more than makes up for it.  It is so good that I have Sustained Burn on the vast majority of the time.  Only when I need agility do I briefly deactivate Sustained Burn.  Sustained Burn makes it easy to chase down fleeing enemy fleets.  One big plus of Sustained Burn that I see is slow burn speed from civilians, capitals, and damage ships is not a dealbreaker as it has in the past.  Before 0.8, I considered burn speed a god stat; to the point I considered Venture useless and battlecruisers not worth their cost, plus adding tugs for each of my slowest ships (either one battleship or three Atlases).  Now, Sustained Burn gives so much burn that slow ships does not seem to be a big deal.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 21, 2017, 05:53:48 AM »

i think i found a bug: with my first 4 skill points in the tutorial, i initially put 2 into Technology aptitude and 2 into Sensors, but then reset the points and went for something else rather than confirming the selection. however, it seems the 25% sensor-profile reduction from Sensors rank 2 was still permanently applied to my fleet, despite not having committed any points to that skill now. at least that's what the sensor-profile modifiers in the tooltip and the total number show, i can't say whether the actual numbers used in calculating detection ranges are affected as well.

I can't load my savegame.
whenever you save your game, it also automatically creates a backup copy of your previous save point. you'll still lose the progress you've made between those two save points, but at least you don't have to start an entirely new campaign if one save gets corrupted.

you can revert to the backup by deleting campaign.xml and descriptor.xml in \Starsector\saves\save_NameGoesHere_1234567890, then create new copies of the two corresponding .bak files (just in case corruption happens again ^^), and rename those copies to campaign.xml and descriptor.xml again. then just normally load the then-latest campaign save as usual.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 05:55:23 AM by Sy »

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 21, 2017, 05:55:52 AM »

Are the Talon Interceptors really that good? They seem weak unless your stacking fighter skills for that -50% Damage Resistance.

vitowns

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 21, 2017, 06:00:17 AM »

I think i messed-up tutorial by selling ships i got from the graveyard, well two of them! I didn't realise i had to liberate the jump gate after using those ships do i need to restart? I tried to fight without that extra firepower and sucked lol

Edit: I wanted to explore hyperspace right away but i need to do the tutorial right? Forced tutorials make me rage even though this one is really good :(

Edit: All is good made a new game and skipped tutorial, :D Awesome update btw
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 06:24:37 AM by vitowns »

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 21, 2017, 06:30:36 AM »

So questions regarding ECM and Coordinated Manouvres:

1) Can other fleets have these skills (eg. Hegemony Strike fleet)
2) If you join a battle between Heg and pirates that has these skills, do u gain the bonus? do your ships count toward the bonus?
3) If you have the skill does it affect only ur ships or all allied ships?

4) Do Nav bouy bonuses count towards the total coord manouvre bonus or is it separate? (does this mean that without the skill nav bouys do nothing?)
5) Do Nav relays count towards the total? (if not what is the max bonus for nav relays?)

6) Does ECM follow the above pattern?

736b

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 21, 2017, 06:35:33 AM »

Edit: All is good made a new game and skipped tutorial, :D Awesome update btw

That only works if you haven't deleted your previous saves, apparently. :/

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: April 21, 2017, 06:44:56 AM »

Fighters are absolutely unbelievable now. I expected them to be improved, but this is more than I ever dreamed of. Visually, fighter swarms are stunning! They function almost like a glue between ships and can bind a loose aggregation into a coherent entity, where now even the smallest frigate is not easy pickings any more. Tactically, they now dominate the battlefield. But not just with brute force, there is rhythm to them, and all other ships have to dance to the beat they provide. Their carrier performs as the conductor, controlling the ebb and tide of the music. Among them, the Astral is the most virtuous. Seriously,  I just played against and then as an Astral, it might be my favorite ship now.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Psycho Society

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 21, 2017, 07:10:00 AM »

I found a rather gamebreaking bug. I can't load my savegame. This was after I had quit from a three fleet pirate ambush mid-battle and was trying to reload at the main menu. It just gave the standard error message.

Happens to me too, tells me to look at starsector.log

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 21, 2017, 07:26:13 AM »

Are the Talon Interceptors really that good? They seem weak unless your stacking fighter skills for that -50% Damage Resistance.
They still die easily, but they are free (0 OP), crew losses notwithstanding, and they have HE damage from their new Swarmers (that they effectively stole from Broadswords) plus the hull-melting Vulcan.  Small ships without shields and sufficient PD will die.

Since Broadswords do not have the Swarmers anymore, they are not much use after shields are down.

I wish Odyssey had two flight decks.  From quick experimentation (in the missions' refit), it seems easy enough for a battleship to get a flight deck of its own via Converted Hangar, and (it seems) as long as it does not use bombers, be nearly as good as Odyssey as a carrier.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 21, 2017, 07:42:46 AM »

What are the rewards of improved surveying and salvaging?  Unskilled, it seems viable targets are very limited.  I suppose in the full game, a good survey could let you find an ideal planet to build your base (and eventual war machine to take over the sector).  But, in 0.8, what is the ultimate benefit?  Merely more cash only?  If so, then that is not much different than the crew XP skill from pre-0.8, which the mean reason for me to get it would be to train more crew from green to elite quickly and sell for cash (although Making Do perk was good, but not as good as zipping around and killing everything with combat skills).

If I need salvaging to capture unusual Domain/alien ships or weapons, or even merely stupidly rare items like more Hyperions and Light Needlers, then I probably want to max the skill so I can get more goodies.  But, if all I get is more unusual but useless commodities or junk like metal to sell for more cash, then I may just pass on them so I can focus more on combat-related skills instead of convenient grind-less-in-the-campaign skills.  Same thing with surveying.  If all I get is datapads to sell, then it is just easier-way-to-get-cash at the expense of maximum combat potential.

If we get more skills to fill out the remaining aptitudes, I hope the level cap gets raised.  Currently, it looks like a tight fit to get everything I want, and if I can ignore Surveying and Salvage because it only means more easy money instead of access to unique combat resources I cannot get any other way, then might I can treat surveying and salvaging from must max to nice-but-grind-more-to-get-cash and get better fighting skills instead.

One more thing.  I read the Neutrino ability in the sensor skill and thought "nice" until I saw it required volatiles, then I thought "ewww, another fuel to manage? pass".  Then I think I saw it prevents Sustained Burn.  Another no from me.  I am now addicted to Sustained Burn; it is so good, I use it almost all of the time!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:44:24 AM by Megas »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 21, 2017, 07:45:08 AM »

I wish Odyssey had two flight decks.
it has only a single fighter bay? that's disappointing. i know Legion is the new combat-carrier-hybrid capital ship now, but i think Odyssey deserves 2 bays, and it would still have only half as many as Legion.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 21, 2017, 07:48:22 AM »

@ Sy: Yes, only one.  I would rather give a Paragon a flight deck.  (I usually use non-bombers unless a build a dedicated carrier-based fleet.)  Although, if Odyssey got three, it might be a better Astral than the Astral, like when Odyssey had one deck and Astral only three in the old days.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 21, 2017, 07:55:40 AM »

Speaking of hull-melting, I have been at the receiving end of a Thumper after my Wolf was stripped of armor.  It did not end well for me.  Thumper looks like an alternative needler, instead of being merely junk with too many weaknesses and no redeeming qualities.  After I level up and get more ships and weapons, I may experiment with stuff more.  I am almost done with the tutorial system, and will soon go to Jangala to finish the tutorial.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 116