Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639146 times)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #825 on: April 20, 2017, 05:07:47 PM »

Second, one of the combat skills (something countermeasures) has a description that says that the skill allows various defenses to excel in their roles, yet it boosts shields against high explosive and armor against kinetic. Is this supposed to be a case? If so, I find the skill description a little confusing.

The "role" of armor is to block kinetic damage, isn't it? I mean, I can sort of see how one would think offensively and consider armor's role as "to get mauled by high explosive damage", but...

Or am I missing something?

No, maybe not. I guess I've always connected kinetic with shields and HE with armor.

Lastly, is there any way to influence the new skills that your officer might learn? Kinda frustrating when you want an officer that can fly a really good fast attack frigate, but the game keeps insisting they get carrier skills.

I think if one is judicious about when to pick a new skill and when to increase an existing one, one will end up with something reasonable most of the time, just given how the probabilities work out.

I can see why you would think that, but when the options for three straight levels are "increase this skill or get strike commander", and strike commander was STILL an option when I had to select a new skill, it starts to get a little frustrating. I guess I just got a bad draw.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: April 20, 2017, 05:09:21 PM »

Well, if I figure out something that affects it I'll let you know.

Two bugs:

* you can't lay in course to a nebula from the system info screen, the button does nothing (which I suppose makes some kind of sense because there isn't a body selected, but in that case it should lay in course to a jump point, which is what it does when you lay in course to a nebula from the map)

* when you kill a bounty target but part of the fleet survives, it still has the yellow exclamation mark symbol even though you've killed the target and the bounty is complete.

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #827 on: April 20, 2017, 05:18:04 PM »

While doing campaign tutorial, salvaging Domain Probes multiple times always guarantee a Gamma Core drop each time. I...don't think it's supposed to be happening?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:41:59 PM by Aron0621 »

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: April 20, 2017, 05:18:52 PM »

For the mission log "Acquire jump-point data at Derinkuyu", the summary says "contact $dataContactName"... also in the very first transmission from the Ancyra commander, at one point he/she says something like "we're cut off from Sector like the Sector is cut off from the Domain", should probably be "we're cut off from the Sector".

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: April 20, 2017, 05:23:20 PM »

Something that bothers me is that uninhabited planets in core systems are not surveyed already. Doesn't seem right that I can survey a planet that's in a system that has been inhabited and trafficked for ages, and somehow get new information worth 50,000 credits. (This happened twice, and they were 0% and 25% hazard planets, too.)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: April 20, 2017, 05:36:00 PM »

Alex, I think I know why the campaign isn't advancing: lack of D mods on your ships that you salvage. If someone takes the skill that reduces the chance of D mods on ships, it can make ships not have D mods and allow you to get 2 or more pristine ships, locking up the tutorial

That would do it, but can you even get 6 skill points by then? Seems like it'd be tough.
You can if you take on the station fleet, which isn't hard at all
Also, is there anything new to do to carriers or hullmods to get them into the game?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: April 20, 2017, 05:49:06 PM »

You can if you take on the station fleet, which isn't hard at all
Also, is there anything new to do to carriers or hullmods to get them into the game?
I checked the hullmods file and the only new column is their monetary value, I think. There's probably some LPC stuff that needs to be done but I didn't check.

By the way, loving the update so far. Haven't explored too far into the randomly generated areas, just far enough to do
some analysing contracts (I feel like they might pay a little too much, 60000 for doing pretty much nothing but using some fuel feels pretty weird),
fighting some extremely flimsy REDACTED (how on Earth did David die to them, they're pretty much cannon fodder),
finding a MORE REDACTED-"infested" system (like 8 ships total and half of them just sat around doing nothing, maybe they should have bigger fleets, pretty underwhelming considering the warning you get),
salvaging a GOD DARN ODYSSEY with most of its weapons intact, including a longbow wing and Guardian PD system, and only a Glitched Sensors dmod to show for it, guarded by two MORE REDACTED slacker fleets who didn't seem to care
and finding a neutron star, where I was surprised to see the awesome pulsar effect that it has on the system, especially how the pulsar is blocked by planets.

Also, I got stuck on the tutorial at the scavenging bit. Game doesn't actually tell me to quicksave, went and killed all the miner fleets but just restarted without the tutorial and I guess I know now. Was hoping to get the Converted Hangar hullmod but all my markets just have Stabilised Shields, ECCM, Expanded Magazines and Expanded Missile Racks. Can't wait to get destroyed by the inevitable MORE REDACTED capital ship or station.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:03:59 PM by InventorRaccoon »

Abradolf Lincler

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: April 20, 2017, 06:07:19 PM »

420 BLAZIN IT INTO THE STARS!!!!!!!!!!!

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: April 20, 2017, 06:08:06 PM »

The supposedly abandoned station in Asharu seems to not be so abandoned, judging from it's description.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: April 20, 2017, 06:22:21 PM »

The REDACTED come in all sizes, including some seriously scary ones.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: April 20, 2017, 06:38:37 PM »

The REDACTED come in all sizes, including some seriously scary ones.
So far I've just met the absurdly weak ones, the annoying Wolf-like ones and the Ion Pulser ones. Do they scale with distance from the center of the sector? I kind of want to fight the destroyer-sized ones, which hopefully doesn't result in my fleet being wiped. I've got a Wolf, Hammerhead, Mora, Condor and the Odyssey, plus a Kite and Shepherd. Need some cash before I can fill out my flagship's large mounts.

By the way, do randomly-generated systems ever have markets? All I've encountered are lifeless systems, except for the one with REDACTED and the occasional bounty fleet.

Other fun fact: the Luddic Path now have their own market, with a military nonetheless.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: April 20, 2017, 06:50:57 PM »

Question: is there any way to tell how many times a field has been salvaged? I ran into an issue where it was a field I had already salvaged, so I took hefty losses.

So far I'm loving .8! Marvelously done Alex!

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: April 20, 2017, 07:04:03 PM »

Can you salvage /REDACTED/ ships guarding derelicts?
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: April 20, 2017, 07:08:04 PM »

Can you salvage /REDACTED/ ships guarding derelicts?
Don't think so. None of the high-tech frigate-sized ones are worth it, anyway, though maybe the larger ones are better. Better off just buying a Wolf or something. The midline ones are basically crappier Hounds.

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: April 20, 2017, 08:12:51 PM »

Flagship and ships with an officer in command nearly guaranteed to be recoverable if lost
Why nearly? And how is it determined?
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 116