Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639250 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #795 on: April 20, 2017, 03:04:16 PM »

I'm losing CR despite there being no enemy ships anywhere near me.

Is the number actually going down, or is it just because it says "degrading readiness"? I *suspect* it's saying "degrading readiness" but the number isn't going down (which is still an issue if that's the case, that's definitely confusing.)

This is amazing. Just started the tutorial, really nice so far.

Thank you! Hope it holds up :)

Soychi

• Lieutenant
  • Ad Rem
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 20, 2017, 03:07:12 PM »

I'm so happy all the goats and chickens were not in vain ;)
ARE YOU A COWARD? This is not for you. We badly need a brave man. He must be 23 to 25 years old, in perfect health, at least six feet tall, weigh about 190 pounds, fluent English with some French, proficient with all weapons, some knowledge of engineering and mathematics essential, willing to travel, no family or emotional ties, indomitably courageous and handsome of face and figure. Permanent employment, very high pay, glorious adventure, great danger. -Glory Road, Heinlein

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 20, 2017, 03:11:02 PM »

Erm, The in campaign tutorial start, is either not working properly for me, or not explaining itself. I started out, with it telling me to go salvage from debris, which I did, and then nothing else after. I don't have access to turning my transponder on either, so I can't go near the hegemony station.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 20, 2017, 03:12:44 PM »

Erm, The in campaign tutorial start, is either not working properly for me, or not explaining itself. I started out, with it telling me to go salvage from debris, which I did, and then nothing else after. I don't have access to turning my transponder on either, so I can't go near the hegemony station.

Press F5 to quicksave and it'll move on to the next step.

(Made a note to make the instruction to do that more prominent. It's on the bottom of the screen, above the abilities.)

ArkAngel

• Captain
  • The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 20, 2017, 03:13:59 PM »

(Made a note to make the instruction to do that more prominent. It's on the bottom of the screen, above the abilities.)
... -facedesks- My bad. I thought it was just a tip, not an instruction. Whoops.
"Yes... Yes I -am- sending you, alone, unarmed, against the might of the Hegemony defense fleet.  Not to worry - watching how they obliterate your puny frigate will be most... enlightening.  I shall dissect their tactics and emerge victorious!  Any questions? Then get to your ship, you launch in 5."

Groufac

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: April 20, 2017, 03:17:32 PM »

I had the same issue. So Hegemony went hostile on me after I failed to turn on the transponder.
I reloaded a previous save and it worked.

Edit: Oh okay!

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: April 20, 2017, 03:37:59 PM »

Oof, didn't realize the tutorial would actually give me stuff; bought all that equipment for nothing.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: April 20, 2017, 03:39:15 PM »

Very first play through of the tutorial got hung up on the salvage ship section. Even after salvaging/pounding everything (I detonated the Condor), The mission never completed. On a second playthrough, I noticed that after adding the Condor to my fleet, the exclamation point over the planet went away. Perhaps you should be more explicit that you should take every ship available?

I'm probably an outlier because I have past playing experience but that seemed to sequence-break the tutorial.

Speaking of: the fleet you leave the tutorial with (in addition to the credits, weapons, skill points, etc.) is leaps and bounds superior than the quick start.  I get you can get a decent ship at start in the tutorial with the 30k credits but flying around with 6-7 ships at "start" is a huge leg up in the early game. I'm not sure if I should say "bravo!" (which I will anyway: the tutorial is fantastic) or "tutorial is pretty much mandatory."

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: April 20, 2017, 03:41:12 PM »

Is the number actually going down, or is it just because it says "degrading readiness"? I *suspect* it's saying "degrading readiness" but the number isn't going down (which is still an issue if that's the case, that's definitely confusing.)
It was actually going down when I took the screenshot, but a couple of seconds later it stopped. The interesting thing is there was a ship I was running away from that wasn't in my sensor range, and I think it was just on the edge of being visible. There might be a slight mismatch in visual range vs in-combat range.

The "degrading readiness" indicator did not go away even after the CR number stopped going down.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: April 20, 2017, 03:42:20 PM »

I like the new description for the Ion Pulser. ;D

A few minor quibbles:

The Prometheus-class still uses PD drones as its ship system. Also the drones (both high-tech and midline, as well as Sensor, Terminator and Borer) still show up under Ship Systems in the codex.

The Flash Bomber's description states it uses proximity charges that "employs the principles of the phase cloak". Is this purely flavour or has the prox. charge launcher changed in some way? The description of the weapon itself doesn't seem to suggest any changes.

The damage type explanations for Energy and Fragmentation both mention hull damage, but it doesn't for Explosives and Kinetics. Given that hull damage is always 100% it's probably unnecessary information anyway, although might be worth adding it to everything for the sake of new players? Either way seems fine.

The Devastator Cannon's description keeps mentioning frag damage and how terrible it is against armour, but given it's actually Explosive it seems like it would be reasonable against armour. Granted I haven't actually tried it out yet, so it may be as terrible as the description keeps telling me.

Some variant hulls seem to be hidden in the Codex. E.g. Pirate Buffalo, Pirate Wolf. At first I thought they were deleted (Pirate Buffalo to be honest makes little sense, what's the point of a smuggler's hold and then painting your ship in PIRATE COLOURS OF DOOM), but they still turn up in-game.

Given the Terminator drone doesn't use a phase cloak anymore, should its sprite be changed to drone_terminator? The one without phase coils? Also minor typo in its description: "if orderd".

Is there a point to the Salvage Rig when the Shepherd has the exact same hullmod and is just generally a lot more useful?

The Harbinger's new description has a minor typo: last line of first paragraph, "Everything that can possible can wrong does".

There are no more Assault Fighters. :( I get why this is with the new fighter changes, but the tab still exists in the Codex. Also some more fighters might be better under "Support Fighters" (e.g. Claw, and previously Longbow), as it is it's just Xyphos: unless Support Fighters are now only meant to be long-ranged support.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 03:55:21 PM by Embolism »

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: April 20, 2017, 03:50:32 PM »

i salvaged the stuff around tetra but it says i need to go to tetra and salvage things

also there's no option to say i did it or any indication that progressing is possible

hep

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: April 20, 2017, 03:56:34 PM »

Something for the hotfix: If you sell degraded ships, you don't get paid the normal price for their weapons. I just sold a degraded Condor with 2 LPCs for 900 space bucks (which is a major annoyance in Iron Mode). Don't know how it is for normal ships.

i salvaged the stuff around tetra but it says i need to go to tetra and salvage things

also there's no option to say i did it or any indication that progressing is possible

hep

Did you capture all the ships? If you break any the tutorial apparently doesn't proceed.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: April 20, 2017, 03:57:34 PM »

hep
Hit F5

Alex, I think this is one reason why people are getting hung up in the ship salvage area: http://imgur.com/a/0u0zw
There is no indicator to quicksave after salvaging everything
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: April 20, 2017, 04:01:14 PM »

Very first play through of the tutorial got hung up on the salvage ship section. Even after salvaging/pounding everything (I detonated the Condor), The mission never completed. On a second playthrough, I noticed that after adding the Condor to my fleet, the exclamation point over the planet went away. Perhaps you should be more explicit that you should take every ship available?

I'm probably an outlier because I have past playing experience but that seemed to sequence-break the tutorial.

Speaking of: the fleet you leave the tutorial with (in addition to the credits, weapons, skill points, etc.) is leaps and bounds superior than the quick start.  I get you can get a decent ship at start in the tutorial with the 30k credits but flying around with 6-7 ships at "start" is a huge leg up in the early game. I'm not sure if I should say "bravo!" (which I will anyway: the tutorial is fantastic) or "tutorial is pretty much mandatory."
While I'd agree with you that there is a mis-balance, I'm not sure it actually needs fixing.

A newer player gets a more established and less painful start, while an experienced player can start out their own way.

For me, I hated the half-derelict, slow fleet that I ended the tutorial with so I just used it to make one good trade run and traded it all in for three new Wolves. :D

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: April 20, 2017, 04:07:01 PM »

Good job Alex!
Very impressive expansion to the scope of the campaign!

Now pls nerf Harpoons; they're the single most obnoxious weapon to face in the very early game!
Incredibly easy for your ship to simply get 'deleted' by a barrage of them from 2 frigates. (whether or not you're overloaded)
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 116