Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639384 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #765 on: April 20, 2017, 01:23:28 PM »

Yes.

I tried running Starsector out of the box, and got an out-of-memory error.

Tried Java-8 64-bit, but I got the warning.

So... I just installed Java-7 64-bit, and now Starsector is asking for my activation code.  Currently searching for it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 20, 2017, 01:23:47 PM »

It would've been really nice if there was a mechanism introduced to "Retrofit" (D) class vessels

What do you mean? There's a "restore" option in the refit screen when docked at a market, if that's along the lines of what you're asking.

Not really a big issue given most first time players are veeery unlikely to run into it, but if you have one-click jump points enabled, the game will freeze at one point in the tutorial.

I'm surprised "one-click jump-points" works at all - it's a half-baked, never-finished dev experiment :)

I also fell into the trap of not seeing the quicksave instruction before heading to the Hegemony planet.

Saw an oddball thing where you could open the market window with Pontus or something. It displayed the default market blurb on the left about sleek attack ships or whatever.

I think in the tutorial when the station commander tells you to go and "activate an Active Sensor Burst" it would make more sense if they said to "use an Active Sensor Burst".

Overall, with many false starts and significant irritation at trying to lay a course and constantly getting sent to the planet screen, it took me about an hour to get through the tutorial. I think most of my trouble was starting on the next step before it told me to. :-X

So excite!

Thanks, made some notes. The Pontus/market screen issue: yeah, the "Trade" button is supposed to be disabled there but isn't.

I have a question: Is there any way to swap "Show info" and "Lay in course", got used to clicking on a planet to go there and the info option makes things awkward, but other than that it's awesome.

Let me think about that one.

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: April 20, 2017, 01:27:07 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean - what are you calling the "mission notification"? Also, defeating the pirates at the station isn't part of the tutorial, so I'm further confused.

Spoiler
[close]

That little yellow exclamation point. I've recovered or salvaged all the ships from around there, and am currently fighting through the miners around the jump points.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 20, 2017, 01:28:12 PM »

But, but, I wanted to go to sleep :o

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 20, 2017, 01:29:04 PM »

Will also add a +1 in swapping lay course and show planet info on the mouse drop. It's simply after playing the older version I'm used to one-click maneuvering.

I might be able to get used to it but more often than not, I'm looking to travel than get info.

Otherwise, the tutorial has been wonderful.

Found one typo, something like "It won't me a milk run" when it should probably be "It won't be a milk run"

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 20, 2017, 01:30:45 PM »

I actually didn't notice the Restore Feature.
Very nice.

Also here's a photo of a salvaged sunder before & after, I seem to have got a 85%? "Free" restore" by simply Stripping it.

https://ibb.co/d4zW1Q

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 20, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »

Thanks for the update Alex! That pesky sleep requirement won't allow me to go too far into the campaign for now, but i found something about the carrier skills :

Spoiler
[close]

Those two are pretty much identical. Is something missing or it's just WIP?

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 20, 2017, 01:37:22 PM »

at work right now so I can't try for myself, but does this new system of (D) ships mean that (D) sprites are now defunct?
mmm.... tartiflette

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 20, 2017, 01:38:23 PM »

Mh, is the occasional random flickering of UI elements intentional? Could be part of a immersive UI, so I'm not sure. I noticed it first with the portraits in the character creation menu (which I only spent like 15 minutes starting at,hehe). It's in the trade menus too, though.

Also, overlap in the ship menu:

Thanks for the update Alex! That pesky sleep requirement won't allow me to go too far into the campaign for now, but i found something about the carrier skills :

Spoiler
[close]

Those two are pretty much identical. Is something missing or it's just WIP?

One is for your ship, the other for all. Seems a bit unbalanced, though?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 01:47:19 PM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 20, 2017, 01:46:45 PM »

To echo SainnQ, the Strip button removes D hullmods from proc-gen D ships.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 20, 2017, 01:49:16 PM »

DAMNIT!!!
Also, to anyone getting an OoM crash on startup, set your allocation to 768MB and it should at least get you to the menu
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

WulfofSilver

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 20, 2017, 01:49:53 PM »

So I installed the update, now my save files are not loading and are missing, what do?

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 20, 2017, 01:51:01 PM »

I don't imagine an update of this size is possibly save compatible. If you'd like to keep playing on your old save, I'd try digging out the old installation from recycle bin
mmm.... tartiflette

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 20, 2017, 01:51:31 PM »

I have a question: Is there any way to swap "Show info" and "Lay in course", got used to clicking on a planet to go there and the info option makes things awkward, but other than that it's awesome.

Let me think about that one.

Go the same "issue". As of now I want more often to travel to things than read about them. "A" is the shortcut for "lay in course" from the planet info menu, maybe enable the same shortcut from the map?

So I installed the update, now my save files are not loading and are missing, what do?

The save files from the previous version are not compatible. There's just too much new stuff! :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 20, 2017, 01:51:50 PM »

Also here's a photo of a salvaged sunder before & after, I seem to have got a 85%? "Free" restore" by simply Stripping it.

https://ibb.co/d4zW1Q

Would you mind elaborating? I *think* you're saying that stripping the ship did the job of a "restore", but I can't reproduce that and I'm not sure what the 85% means.

Will also add a +1 in swapping lay course and show planet info on the mouse drop. It's simply after playing the older version I'm used to one-click maneuvering.

Yeah, I'll definitely look at that. The ordering was from before the "lay in course" feature being what it is now.

Found one typo, something like "It won't me a milk run" when it should probably be "It won't be a milk run"

Fixed.

Mh, is the occasional random flickering of UI elements intentional? Could be part of a immersive UI, so I'm not sure. I noticed it first with the portraits in the character creation menu (which I only spent like 15 minutes starting at,hehe). It's in the trade menus too, though.

Not intentional for sure. Are your drivers up-to-date? This has come up before (in fact, Stian ran into it on his computer) and it's just weird. Does seem to be OS/driver related, and I haven't been able to figure out how to work around it other than updating drivers.

Also: worth trying fullscreen mode vs max-size window, to see if one of those works better.

Aha - ok, got this. Will fix up soon, definitely another hotfix-worthy item.

Edit: fixed that up.

The new version is very much not save compatible with the previous one - it's practically a new game in many respects.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 02:01:15 PM by Alex »
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54 ... 116