Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639267 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #570 on: April 02, 2017, 11:46:29 AM »

Yep, the adjusted E-burn AI takes this into account as well.

Re: UI stuff - a worthwhile discussion to be had, but definitely not touching it for 0.8a :)

TheEndstoneGolem

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: April 03, 2017, 01:01:27 AM »

For the people suggesting about cargo/storage information, there's a suggestion thread for it :)

I just don't think people are being fair to Alex at the minute.
Using an Astral with 6 Khopesh wings coz I'm that basic B)

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: April 03, 2017, 02:44:16 AM »

Just wanted to chim in an say Alex and the rest of the team are doing a fantastic job, I can't wait to play 0.8, regardless of how long it takes.

Much rather have a build that works, rather than try to start a new build only to find game breaking bugs that stop me from playing, deflating all that self-built hype :)

So, Keep up the great work!
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

drabilly

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: April 03, 2017, 03:50:43 AM »

I've got a question about combined storage inventory.

For now, if I lost one cargo ship in battle, my upper limit of fleet cargo capacity will change, but, I still have everything I used to have.

The strange thing is, actually, people divide goods into several cargo ships, and if I lost one of them, the goods in that ship definitely wrecked.

What about show separated ship cargo inventory, and fleet captain could distribute their goods into definite ship, just like uncharted waters 2 of KOEI

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: April 03, 2017, 08:04:23 AM »

I've got a question about combined storage inventory.

For now, if I lost one cargo ship in battle, my upper limit of fleet cargo capacity will change, but, I still have everything I used to have.

The strange thing is, actually, people divide goods into several cargo ships, and if I lost one of them, the goods in that ship definitely wrecked.

What about show separated ship cargo inventory, and fleet captain could distribute their goods into definite ship, just like uncharted waters 2 of KOEI

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Actually, that sounds more like a suggestion than a question :) The simple answer to "why no per-ship cargo management" is: because it would be a hassle. You'd have to spent much more time in the inventory screen to distribute your cargo just right. And then you'd have to keep track of what ship carries what cargo, so you don't accidentally put a ship with valuable cargo into a dangerous situation. Or suppose you're on a mission to deliver 200 hand weapons, and in an ambush you lose a frigate that carried 10 of them. So now you have only 190 hand weapons and cannot fulfill the contract. Wouldn't that be annoying?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Orikson

• Captain
  • Always Seen on Discord
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 03, 2017, 08:13:46 AM »

Also explained way back. This one I think: http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/11/22/crew-management-and-you/
"A story teller and a trader. Tell me your tales and I'll tell you no lies."

Come join the Starsector Fan Chat! It's decently active.

Link: https://discord.gg/eb5UC

drabilly

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 03, 2017, 09:38:50 AM »

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Actually, that sounds more like a suggestion than a question :) The simple answer to "why no per-ship cargo management" is: because it would be a hassle. You'd have to spent much more time in the inventory screen to distribute your cargo just right. And then you'd have to keep track of what ship carries what cargo, so you don't accidentally put a ship with valuable cargo into a dangerous situation. Or suppose you're on a mission to deliver 200 hand weapons, and in an ambush you lose a frigate that carried 10 of them. So now you have only 190 hand weapons and cannot fulfill the contract. Wouldn't that be annoying?

Hi, thanks.

And yes, it is annoying if I lost my key goods during contract mission, but hey, it is the life, XD, universe is dangerous, next time I'll protect my cargo ship more carefully.

Also explained way back. This one I think: http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/11/22/crew-management-and-you/

Thanks for quote, I really like it if starsector could go into complicated way, I like details and manipulate my ships and crews :P

Seth

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 03, 2017, 10:46:00 AM »

Gotta go with Gothars on this, I also like complicated gameplay and macro management, but in SS it will get extremely tedious real fast. Have lots of experience with such things from various global strategies. Currently designed system is the best we can get. Hope it stays that way.

Inventor Raccoon

• Captain
  • Digging through trash for a hydroflux catalyst
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 03, 2017, 12:22:46 PM »

I suppose that having cargo in specific ships does kind of encourage freighters, because otherwise you might fail a procurement contract because while your maximum capacity is enough to carry all the stuff needed, on the trip one of your ships is blown up and you lose some of it, because none of your ships have enough to carry the whole shipment. I'd still prefer just not losing anything, though. If you lose a freighter, you already have to ditch anything that's beyond your capacity, which can be a lot if you've just blown up a couple of fleets and taken all their sweet sweet metal.

PerturbedPug

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 03, 2017, 12:49:53 PM »

If anything Alex wants to minimize micromanagement in areas where it's not necessary. Just look at the tactical layer in combat, you can't give too many orders and those orders aren't very specific.

Adding ship specific inventory would just add salt to the wound of losing a ship in battle, at least with the current system you can choose to leave behind less valuable cargo if you don't have enough room.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 03, 2017, 01:29:25 PM »

If you guys wanna discuss this further, please open a new thread (in suggestions?). This is not the right place, as it has nothing to do with the patch notes.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: April 13, 2017, 12:42:28 PM »

Updated! All playtesting and bugfixes/minor tweaks from here on out.

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: April 13, 2017, 12:46:17 PM »

o.0 ready to download!!!!!!!!!!

mehgamer

• Lieutenant
  • TTK is not representative of combat performance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: April 13, 2017, 12:55:30 PM »

o.0 ready to download!!!!!!!!!!

it's just a prank

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: April 13, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »

more Shepherd buffs! O:
i honestly think it might need a little nerf with all this. like putting cargo capacity at ~75, same as Hound with which it shares supply costs, so at least Wayfarer and Cerberus are still the better options for frigate-level cargo ships.

on another note, and sorry if i'm getting annoying, did you take a look at that "holding right-click will immediately reactivate shield/cloak" thing? ^^
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 116