Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639217 times)

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #540 on: March 30, 2017, 08:55:25 PM »

Sweet!  Can't wait!

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: March 30, 2017, 09:51:55 PM »

Awww, don't delay the patch for a frackin' tutorial...save that for 0.8.1! :'(

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: March 30, 2017, 10:36:23 PM »

You know, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we all needed a campaign tutorial after this honestly ground-shattering update to the campaign.

Still all for getting this update out the door as quickly as possible without any unnecessary baggage though. :) I'm sure we can flop about without a campaign tutorial for a couple weeks, learn the ropes the good ole' fashioned way.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: March 30, 2017, 11:32:30 PM »

Skip the tutorial, also bring back Kiting Hounds without updating the patch notes.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: March 31, 2017, 12:22:10 AM »

You know, I wouldn't be at all surprised if we all needed a campaign tutorial after this honestly ground-shattering update to the campaign.

Agreed. I'm game to wait a little longer if it means I can be introduced to the new campaign mechanics a little more comprehensively.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: March 31, 2017, 02:46:28 AM »

Very soontm. Wrapping things up, basically - major features are all done. Right now about halfway through adding a proper campaign tutorial, then it's a bit more playtesting and balancing/polish, and a few modding things, and it should be good. So - however long that all takes.

I hope "proper" doesn't mean intrusive... Learning by doing with some guidance seems fine, "This thing you currently don't care about works like this, try it now" would be a bit daunting. Especially if it happens several times in a row.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: March 31, 2017, 03:19:11 AM »

Very soontm. Wrapping things up, basically - major features are all done. Right now about halfway through adding a proper campaign tutorial, then it's a bit more playtesting and balancing/polish, and a few modding things, and it should be good. So - however long that all takes.

I hope "proper" doesn't mean intrusive... Learning by doing with some guidance seems fine, "This thing you currently don't care about works like this, try it now" would be a bit daunting. Especially if it happens several times in a row.

I'm hoping it'll be a standalone tutorial in the same sense as the combat tutorials, with the old Hammerhead loadout. I can deal with an in-game one, but we already have the help popups for that, don't we?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: March 31, 2017, 04:20:47 AM »

I'm hoping it'll be a standalone tutorial in the same sense as the combat tutorials, with the old Hammerhead loadout. I can deal with an in-game one, but we already have the help popups for that, don't we?
Tips and popups that people just click-through and ignore, then B**** when something happens... One note though: Could we get a place where all the help popups are stored so that people that click through them can reread them if they want?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: March 31, 2017, 04:33:11 AM »

Its probably a good idea to have a tutorial that walks through supplies and fuel, CR, how to lay in a course, campaign abilities and the transponder/sensor mechanics. A pretty daunting task from the surface look of it, pleased to know you're already halfway through making it!

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 31, 2017, 04:52:21 AM »

i think getting a tutorial ready for launch with 0.8a is great! both for introducing experienced players to the massive amount of additions and changes, and because i imagine this eagerly awaited release will generate some publicity as well, as new let's-play-series are started, and 'old' players will tell their friends about all the new fun they're having.

starting out as a completely new player has become more and more difficult and frustrating with additional campaign complexity of the last few big patches, and 0.8a would likely continue that trend (even if there are now more/easier ways to progress in the early-game, players still need to learn a lot to even know how to). as much as i'm hyped to get to play it myself, we've survived the wait for over a year at this point already anyway. ^^ i think we can manage a couple weeks longer, if it means new players will be able to hopefully enjoy 0.8a as much as i'm sure the people posting here will.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: March 31, 2017, 06:24:48 AM »

Two schools of thought on tutorials
1) leave them until last, so you're not having to continually maintain them as the code & game mechanics change over time
2) introduce them from the start, so you know the capability to easily integrate them is present.

Effort Vs Risk.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: March 31, 2017, 07:08:31 AM »

So if crew can be put into pods and condemned to certain death put in cryosleep, does this mean that we will sometimes be able to capture as blood slaves rescue crew after battles and when salvaging debris fields? This would be nice.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: March 31, 2017, 10:02:57 AM »

Skip the tutorial, also bring back Kiting Hounds without updating the patch notes.

A+

At the very least, it'll be skippable once you've done it one time. The idea is to incorporate everything into a narrative - a question/mission you're doing - rather than just having to do assorted random stuff. We'll see how well it pans out, naturally.

i think getting a tutorial ready for launch with 0.8a is great! both for introducing experienced players to the massive amount of additions and changes, and because i imagine this eagerly awaited release will generate some publicity as well, as new let's-play-series are started, and 'old' players will tell their friends about all the new fun they're having.

starting out as a completely new player has become more and more difficult and frustrating with additional campaign complexity of the last few big patches, and 0.8a would likely continue that trend (even if there are now more/easier ways to progress in the early-game, players still need to learn a lot to even know how to). as much as i'm hyped to get to play it myself, we've survived the wait for over a year at this point already anyway. ^^ i think we can manage a couple weeks longer, if it means new players will be able to hopefully enjoy 0.8a as much as i'm sure the people posting here will.

Thanks! Yeah, for me, adding the tutorial here is not at all optional.

Two schools of thought on tutorials
1) leave them until last, so you're not having to continually maintain them as the code & game mechanics change over time
2) introduce them from the start, so you know the capability to easily integrate them is present.

Yep. I'm in the #1 camp, but I think at this point the mechanics introduced by the tutorial are set enough that hopefully there won't be *too* many changes.

So if crew can be put into pods and condemned to certain death put in cryosleep, does this mean that we will sometimes be able to capture as blood slaves rescue crew after battles and when salvaging debris fields? This would be nice.

REDACTED

noego

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: March 31, 2017, 01:57:49 PM »

Tutorial??? MMM! This smells strongly of FULL RELEASE. Cannot wait! Kudos, brave developer!

Blips

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: March 31, 2017, 04:10:25 PM »

I know it's been a long time since the latest update but you're doing a fantastic job Alex! I'll likely wait till the inevitable 0.8.1-esque update, but I'm very excited for the game :)
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 116