Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639338 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #390 on: March 25, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »

I'm also assuming lighter pieces will fly faster than larger pieces when the ship explodes?

Either the number of cutting lines was increased dramatically or you really went ham in destroying those parts, Alex - this is much more severe than the Paragon from about 6 months ago:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11240.0
Makes my job a bit harder, on top of not knowing what the thing looked like in the first place, but I think I'm getting somewhere.  Appears to have the rough shape of a Falcon or Eagle, maybe with fighter bays on either side where the missile mounts are abouts.  Although how big it is in comparison to other ships or what class it is, I can't tell.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 12:20:59 PM by The Soldier »
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: March 25, 2017, 12:18:09 PM »

So you can...just... eject your contrabands before getting inspected and they don't give a d*mn about what you just ejected out of your ship?
Well yeah, what I mean by "good point" is that I need to do something about that :)
Damnit!!! There goes THAT exploit! /s
Although I could see ejecting cargo like that as a bait tactic or a full blown trap. IE. Booby-trapped with a few Reapers~ A poor sod opens the container up and BOOM goes the dynamite! And right inside the juice, vulnerable hull too!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 25, 2017, 12:19:13 PM »

Can stabilize orbit of cargo pods for several months; costs supplies based on amount of cargo

If we can park cargo containers in an orbit for extended periods of time, can we do the same with mothballed ships? Maybe make scuttling work like that, you strip a ship of everything useful and leave the hull in orbit, to potentially repair and recover later if you return with supplies quickly enough. Could have the same mechanics as post-battle recovery.

As long as scuttling means just entirely destroying a ship I'll probably never do it... I'd rather risk losing the entire fleet than intentionally delete part of it.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 25, 2017, 12:22:09 PM »

As long as scuttling means just entirely destroying a ship I'll probably never do it... I'd rather risk losing the entire fleet than intentionally delete part of it.
Well, you never know, that Heavy Machinery you get from it might be worth more than the ship itself on some markets from what I've seen.
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 25, 2017, 12:35:14 PM »

It's also possible that calculation will change if a lot of your ships are recovered derelicts with lots of d-mods and you can easily and cheaply replace them. Scuttling is meant to be an "I'm stranded without fuel or supplies" last resort option, anyway.

That said, I did think about it spawning derelict ships - but that just makes it annoying, doesn't it? A multi-step process to get the most resources out of it - first you scuttle, then you salvage the derelicts.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 25, 2017, 12:58:15 PM »

Instant scuttling is occasionally useful for a few suicide exploits.  The last time I did it, I used it to get Centurions as a Tri-Tachyon player because they are commission-only ships sold at Hegemony.  (This was before I tried to see if the Centurion could be made useful.)

Scuttling not killing ships immediately would foil some shenanigans, though I suppose preventing scuttling the last ship would stop that nonsense too.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 25, 2017, 01:41:37 PM »

I'm also assuming lighter pieces will fly faster than larger pieces when the ship explodes?

Either the number of cutting lines was increased dramatically or you really went ham in destroying those parts, Alex - this is much more severe than the Paragon from about 6 months ago:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11240.0
Makes my job a bit harder, on top of not knowing what the thing looked like in the first place, but I think I'm getting somewhere.  Appears to have the rough shape of a Falcon or Eagle, maybe with fighter bays on either side where the missile mounts are abouts.  Although how big it is in comparison to other ships or what class it is, I can't tell.

IIRC I forced it to split into 15 pieces in one go. It's capital-sized, but the shot is zoomed out quite a bit, so that's probably not much help.

The speed of the pieces is a bit unpredictable - it's largely determined by the physics of how they collide with each other once split - but yes, smaller pieces are more likely to be faster.

JDCollie

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #397 on: March 25, 2017, 01:55:15 PM »

With the new salvaging and debris field mechanics, is there any chance of a dedicated, non-combat, salvaging ship? Kinda like the Noctis from EVE?

It could provide any one of a number of benefits, like reduce accident risk (due to automation and appropriate tools), increase salvage speed, improve salvage skill, reduce heavy machinery costs, or increase loot quality (due to proper tools allowing more delicate salvage operations). Also, if NPC salvage fleets are a thing, it would add some flavor to their lineups.

Given that combat is pretty much ubiquitous in Starsector, it seems like a salvage fleet could make a decent living, especially if it had some ships built to that purpose.

cjuicy

• Captain
  • Figuring out how the hell to wear heels (She/it)
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 25, 2017, 02:09:02 PM »

The Construction Rig (Now Salvage Rig) is essentially this. (Don't Quote me on this)
It's been a long time, but I still love ya!

- Pfp done by Sleepyfish!

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 25, 2017, 02:17:31 PM »

I think Alex scrapped that idea in the patch notes—I dunno what is to become of the Construction Rig at this point. Maybe you'll need to haul around 3-4 of'em to build outposts?

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 25, 2017, 02:18:55 PM »

i'm guessing the new "Recovery Shuttles" hullmod might also be related to salvage and/or scavenge.

i'm all for having more types of non-combat ships in general, although the benefit of having one (or several) in your fleet would have to be done in a way that still leaves using them as a choice rather than something you should always do, in every fleet.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 25, 2017, 02:28:33 PM »

I think Alex scrapped that idea in the patch notes—I dunno what is to become of the Construction Rig at this point. Maybe you'll need to haul around 3-4 of'em to build outposts?

The construction rig increases both combat and non-combat salvage, yeah. The idea I scrapped was basing the combat salvage bonus on how long the rig spent deployed - that wasn't working well for various reasons.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 25, 2017, 02:46:57 PM »

Most of the ship appears to be in once piece.  Although it looks like it got in the way of a planet cracker - if I continued at that rate, there aren't enough bits of ship to fill it in unless it's asymmetrical or has a hole in it like the Paragon.
Spoiler
[close]
Welding will continue, although I think I'll need to break out the plasma cutters if it doesn't match specs. :P

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 25, 2017, 02:49:26 PM »

Oh dear. Hint: it looks like you're making it much bigger than it is, hence "not enough bits".

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: March 25, 2017, 02:52:29 PM »

Oh dear. Hint: it looks like you're making it much bigger than it is, hence "not enough bits".
Part of the "I have no idea what scale this is at" problem I mentioned earlier. ;) Would you be gracious enough to tease at how close I am?

Plasma cutter time, I suppose.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 116