Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639193 times)

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #285 on: March 23, 2017, 06:14:01 PM »

I'm kinda bad at math so what happens when you've got Armored Mounts that slow turret speed by 25% and then add Advanced Gyros that speeds up by 50%? I thought it'd be a net gain of 25% faster turrets but what about the new stacking rules and such?

Does this new battlecarrier have at least 1 large ballistic turret? Or does it blow its load on large missiles, flight decks and lots of smaller mounts like the Mora?

So the big Apogee nerf was only gaining 5 more OP as compensation for the overall OP reduction? Hrrm, well I guess it loses its range booster drones too (unless they are built-in now?).

Did the Storm Needler really need the 100 range nerf? You give it somewhat usable flux stats but then you taketh away...

But hey, this means you're damn close to releasing this beast ya?! Just some final polish and playtesting, eh?!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 23, 2017, 06:40:57 PM »

I'm kinda bad at math so what happens when you've got Armored Mounts that slow turret speed by 25% and then add Advanced Gyros that speeds up by 50%? I thought it'd be a net gain of 25% faster turrets but what about the new stacking rules and such?

1 (base) * 1.5 (gyros) * 0.75 (armored mounts) = 1.125, or a 12.5% bonus.

Does this new battlecarrier have at least 1 large ballistic turret? Or does it blow its load on large missiles, flight decks and lots of smaller mounts like the Mora?

You'll have to see it to get all the details, but let's just say it's got plenty of firepower and a good balance of ballistics vs missiles.

So the big Apogee nerf was only gaining 5 more OP as compensation for the overall OP reduction? Hrrm, well I guess it loses its range booster drones too (unless they are built-in now?).

No sensor drones, right. That's a pretty big deal.

Did the Storm Needler really need the 100 range nerf? You give it somewhat usable flux stats but then you taketh away...

It really did, yeah. It's somewhat unique among longer-ranged kinetic weapons in that it deals its damage over time rather than a burst, making it very difficult to avoid taking on shields.

But hey, this means you're damn close to releasing this beast ya?! Just some final polish and playtesting, eh?!

"just"

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 23, 2017, 06:46:02 PM »

It really did, yeah. It's somewhat unique among longer-ranged kinetic weapons in that it deals its damage over time rather than a burst, making it very difficult to avoid taking on shields.
Honestly, I'd say it's still a net buff - in the current game the Storm Needler is basically unusable; the reduced flux cost should make it something that's actually sane to mount on some builds.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Seifer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 23, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »

"Significant performance improvements"
I'm excited about this xD my computer is 2013 old and suffers with several mods added, so improvements are greatly appreciated ^^ I'm really hyped for the update to come, and I would like to thank the devs and modders who make the game grow and become the Starsector it needs to be :) I always come back and have great fun starting a new campaign, playing hours like a maniac lol. Have a sweet night :D

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 23, 2017, 07:11:02 PM »

I'm curious if it's actually a net performance boost or if the massive expansion of the game world (and thus many more fleets and other things to sim) kinda negates it all. Not that it really matters to me as I keep my hardware up to date, though! >8D

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 23, 2017, 07:14:44 PM »

I'm curious if it's actually a net performance boost or if the massive expansion of the game world (and thus many more fleets and other things to sim) kinda negates it all. Not that it really matters to me as I keep my hardware up to date, though! >8D
I think Alex has said that it is about a 30%? increase?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 23, 2017, 07:19:43 PM »

So Alex, how many lines of code is Starsector up to now? And how often are you able to copy/paste a decent amount of code when implementing a new feature?

Also, for David, about how long does it take you to finalize a frigate sized hull, a capital sized? About 3-5 hours of total work? I'd imagine you've gotten super proficient at busting out ships at this point!

Voyager I

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 23, 2017, 07:27:06 PM »

Honestly, I'd say it's still a net buff - in the current game the Storm Needler is basically unusable; the reduced flux cost should make it something that's actually sane to mount on some builds.

Well that and Mjolnir nerf might make it not the objectively correct choice for every large ballistic slot that wasn't OP-constrained.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: March 23, 2017, 07:40:19 PM »

I think Alex has said that it is about a 30%? increase?

... something like that, probably. It's hard to say exactly and it's system-dependent too. I will say that the expansion of the game world didn't have as much of an impact on performance as one might guess, and many of the "extra" fleets are handled in a way where they're not simulated to nearly the same degree unless they're nearby.

It's also up to mods to use some of these new features if they want to add lots more fleets; otherwise performance might suffer.

So Alex, how many lines of code is Starsector up to now? And how often are you able to copy/paste a decent amount of code when implementing a new feature?

No idea! I've wondered about that, but not curious enough to take time to actually get a LOC count. Re: copy/pasting, that's kind of an impossible question to answer. It's just a normal part of coding, so it's not like it "saves time"; it's just how one works.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 23, 2017, 08:27:33 PM »

Have ship market prices been adjusted at all? Like say the Onslaught being made more expensive?

Wasn't there gonna be a new defensive-type destroyer or does the Drover somehow fill that slot in? Simply not enough time to squeeze that into this patch?

No tweaks to the Hephaestus Assault Gun, eh? You thinking it's in a pretty okay spot with the nerfs to Hellbore and Mjolnir?

Finally, are you gonna commish a new trailer? Seems like this patch would deserve one... :o

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 23, 2017, 08:35:07 PM »

a picket destroyer would maybe be interesting, though without it's own specialized AI profile maybe not too useful.

when are we getting anti-phase depth charges anyway

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 23, 2017, 08:39:50 PM »

Generally a beam based ship can be a good defense vs. phase ships.

EDIT: Are cargo pods created by just dragging the item you want in them with some supplies into the discard section? Or is there another section entirely for that?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 08:44:55 PM by Toxcity »

RickyRio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 23, 2017, 08:59:39 PM »

New/adjusted hullmods:
  • Expanded Missile Racks:
    • Now increases missile ammo by 100% (was: 75%)
    • Ordnance point cost increased substantially
    • One-shot Reaper torpedo launcher now has a 5 second cooldown

Interesting, Did you find that missiles felt a bit less powerful with the removal of +1 missile ammo? or was this just in response to +75% not being very useful on many launcher ammo counts?

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 23, 2017, 09:07:43 PM »

New/adjusted hullmods:
  • Expanded Missile Racks:
    • Now increases missile ammo by 100% (was: 75%)
    • Ordnance point cost increased substantially
    • One-shot Reaper torpedo launcher now has a 5 second cooldown

*grabs by the color, shaking and screaming* tell me you left my atropos kite viable! Tell me!
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 23, 2017, 09:10:21 PM »

Removed CR reduction for hull damage taken in combat

This makes me very happy!

Transverse Jump ability:
Jump into systems using nascent gravity wells
Jump to hyperspace from anywhere in-system without using a jump-point (costs fuel and a bit of CR)
Unlocked by level 3 Navigation skill
Neutrino Detector ability (requires Sensors skill)
Detect entities anywhere in-system

Can the AI also use this? If so, doesn't it become mandatory for the player to also have Transverse Jump, so they can chase targets that do it?  And does the AI spam the Neutrino detector? If so, does that basically kill the stealth/smuggling playstyle?

[Edit] And before I forget, tons of stuff looks amazing! I'm looking forward to having a carrier fleet of doom again!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 116