Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 639243 times)

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #975 on: April 22, 2017, 06:03:14 AM »

Really enjoying the game so far. :) One thing I've noticed is that if you set your destination to a jump point and then jump through it, you will still keep trying to go towards that jump point once you get out on the other side by default. Would be a good QoL feature to clear that once you go through or something, it's annoying those times you forget to do it.

I also think Transverse Jump should have a charge-up time, it's way too trivial to escape using it right now, makes Navigation a must-have. Navigation is back to being one of the absolute best skills in the game between that and the Sustained Burn bonus.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 22, 2017, 06:06:46 AM »

Some things I found. May have been noted previously. May or may not be worth doing anything about.

Salvaged ships are not set to "mothballed" when recovered.
99% of the time I have to mothball ships when picking them up because I don't have the resources on hand to do anything about it.
And why would an only just recovered ship have any combat readiness anyway?

Restoring (D) variant ships is all or nothing.
Being allowed to pick and choose which garbage hullmods to fix would be p. helpful.
Eg: I don't care at all about glitched sensors on a dustbin Wolf, but I very much care about degraded engines.

Can no longer click on the <tab> map to set a course to an arbitrary destination, such as an asteroid or empty space.

The <tab> map defaults to "show data" when hold-clicking on a planet. Would be nicer if the default were "set course".

Making derelicts and debris more distinct on the scanner would be helpful.

The game seems FAR harder than previously due to the crippling lack of money, and having most avenues of making said money being out of reach without significant investment. Catch 22.
Procurement contracts seem to be entirely composed of 100+ unit requests which are not really useful for a starting player. Both with the space and the upfront cost of goods required.
System bounties seem to be much less frequent. And when they do appear there is seldom any pirate activity with which to claim said bounty.
Low level named bounties are now quite difficult to get to without a non-trivial investment in fuel and supplies as they all seem to appear in distant unmapped systems.
This essentially removes bounty hunting from the activities a new player will consider viable as a typical starter fleet has an effective range of ~3-5ly. Bounties appear at 10+ ly.
Suggest allowing any named bounty to spawn anywhere, but vastly skew the low-end bounties toward appearing in a "core" systems and larger ones in the wilds.

Even with several decent survey results pulling in nearly 60k I've had little ability to travel beyond the core systems to pursue bounties with a meaningful fleet. I could ditch my fleet and go forth with a couple of frigates, but what would be the point? I certainly couldn't take on a bounty with that.
So I've managed to get myself into a position where I am trapped in a system becasue I cannot afford fuel, and have no means of getting it elsewhere. I don't have enough crew to man my ships, and I have barely enough supplies to run them. Essentially game over.

I'll try a new start and stick to frigates and surveys, see if that helps.
Stars above how I LOATHE flying frigates.

[e]
Lumen are tedious.

Sabot are, once again, utterly underwhelming.
They don't hit hard enough to make a shielded ship back off unless it soaks the full shot.
But most of the shards miss anything smaller than a cruiser.
And now the 1st stage moves even slower than they used to, giving them a tiny range.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2017, 09:55:04 AM by Serenitis »

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #977 on: April 22, 2017, 06:23:55 AM »

Looks like there is a possibility of seeing them in a future version, most likely as an endgame enemy.

For derelicts, [REDACTED] fleets or codex use, I'd say...

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 22, 2017, 06:26:59 AM »

I also think Transverse Jump should have a charge-up time, it's way too trivial to escape using it right now, makes Navigation a must-have. Navigation is back to being one of the absolute best skills in the game between that and the Sustained Burn bonus.
And worst of all, I cannot afford it with my planned character skills.

The worst skill for must-have may be Surveying.  If you want to explore planets to fill up your map, you must have it maxed.  I guess so far, the only relevant thing you get is datapads to sell.  I do not care about petty cash that I can get from grinding endgame fleets (and get rare ships and weapons in the process) or cheating in devmode to get.  I probably would get it just so that the map UI gets complete, and you must have max Surveying to do it.  Bringing specialized ships seems to bump it +25%, which is peanuts compared to +125% or more so many planets require to survey.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 22, 2017, 06:40:04 AM »

So Alex/David, is the Sindrian Diktat part of the Persean League now? That's my take from their allied status.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 22, 2017, 06:46:22 AM »

So Alex/David, is the Sindrian Diktat part of the Persean League now? That's my take from their allied status.

Doubt it. Andrada's ego won't let Sindria be second to Kazeron: he needs to be king of his own little playground. Kazeron on the other hand would likely be wary of letting a power like Sindria join and potentially usurp its status as "first amongst equals". Plus Sindria as a power is young and volatile (with at least two powerful rebel factions in its home system and a likely *** off Hegemony on its borders), the League would probably want to wait and see how things settle before they extend an invitation (that Andrada won't accept anyway).

Pimpio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 22, 2017, 08:09:56 AM »

At first I thought you were whining for nothing with officers fighter skills. Now my aggressive close combat officer wants only to learn fighter command skills. It makes the officer kind of useless for my fleet.

I'd also like that in the map screen default left click would always be 'goto' command. Not the information screen which is currently the default. The amount of wasted clicks is staggering.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 22, 2017, 08:49:07 AM »

derelicts are ez pz

Spoiler
[close]

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 22, 2017, 09:11:44 AM »

I just got a medusa named "Balor One-eye"

......... so which one of you read the golden torc series? Alex/David??
is Jack the Bodiless also available as a ship name??

My line of reference for that is to the Fomorian hero in Dominions 4. In one game (which involved Alex, Stian, my brother, and a bunch of other devs) I was super lucky and got Balor (who is amazing- a magical giant with a death-beam eye) and then lost him in an extremely stupid battle versus independents and basically tanked my expansion.

*sigh* It was the worst. To recover from crushing invasions from my brother and Stian - who were on a team - I built an underwater fortress and ran an in-game kickstarter via twitter wherein I wrote propagandistic haikus and drew leader portraits to get other players to give me the gold and gems required to keep fighting and at least be annoying 'til the end of the game.

So that's why I put it in the ship names file.

Ahem, so it also connects to like Irish mythology and there's a whole lot going on there. You may notice some familiar names in the Hybrasil system after reading about the figures around Balor.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 22, 2017, 09:34:40 AM »

So glad the REDACTED frigates had their speed lowered—they are so damn annoying to chase around. Shouldn't drones/REDACTED fight like a "Reckless" officer and not back off all the time?

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 22, 2017, 09:36:03 AM »

Has anyone else successfully pulled off a scan mission with the target 'in the heart of the X system'? Every one I've been on has had stuff near the star, but hasn't given me the option to scan it.

Offensive_Name

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 22, 2017, 09:36:45 AM »

Why the flares for the apogee? It has 360 degree shields so its not like a missile will sneak up its tailpipe, wouldn't a different system make more sense? Doesn't have to be something like sensor drones(though I'd love you if it was). Just something that effects it's engines or shields or something.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 22, 2017, 09:51:05 AM »

Has anyone else successfully pulled off a scan mission with the target 'in the heart of the X system'? Every one I've been on has had stuff near the star, but hasn't given me the option to scan it.

That's a bit weird sometimes - "in the heart" just means within something like 5000 units from the center. Which for a small system can be the outskirts; I've got a todo item to adjust that.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 22, 2017, 09:57:33 AM »

Anyone else feels that terran worlds are undervalued? You'd think they'd be precious given how much of the Sector's population lives in hive cities on barren rock and how food seems to be always in short supply but a terran planet with decent farmland and nothing else is a Class II survey.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 22, 2017, 09:59:42 AM »

Why the flares for the apogee? It has 360 degree shields so its not like a missile will sneak up its tailpipe, wouldn't a different system make more sense? Doesn't have to be something like sensor drones(though I'd love you if it was). Just something that effects it's engines or shields or something.

Its shield is Frontal, so there is a point to the flares if you're caught with your shields down. Plus even if it were Omni you don't always want to eat a torpedo to your shields. And overall the Apogee was too good (still a bit too good I'd argue), it needed a nerf.

Speaking of drones, the Prometheus still uses PD drones for its system.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 116