Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 116

Author Topic: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 641202 times)

Kirschbra

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector 0.8a (Released) Patch Notes
« Reply #1275 on: April 27, 2017, 10:45:07 AM »

ook update from there, start a new game after a clean install... and now it crashes inbetween the push 5 to get to that place and that place. right at the nebula/asteroid ring  did a fresh install again same issue.. so now I don't get to play the new update

Hmm - what's the error message? And what's at the end of the logfile? The last 100 lines or so would be good, you can find it in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\starsector.log

Edit: also, obligatory - have you tried rebooting & are your graphics drivers up-to-date?

I'm at work now, now that you mention it I do think I need to update my graphics card, I think I saw the exclamation point on the NVidia thing.  I'll give that a shot, I hope that's all it is.  If not I'll get the logfile for you,  and there was no error message, it was just a fast crash to desktop.  I just gotta say, while it was working, absolutely amazing, this update was sooo much more than I was expecting I can't wait to really dig into it. 

side note, when are you going to go on steam and make oodles of money?  compared to the sea of garbage on there, you would be a huge success.  I try to tell people about this game all the time, and with the new update it feels a lot more like a game than just a game mechanics tester.  npc personalities/ relations ect so amazing

one thing I thought of while I was out doing my thing in the new build,  maybe make interacting with colonized planets/markets that don't have a space station require that you have shuttles(just for immersion and another reason to make shuttles important)

Thanks for the quick response Alex,  and thank you for making such a quality product.  I love how much harder it's gotten, the transponder/go dark sustained burn mechanics really add to the difficulty, and balancing the burn speeds so larger ships are faster on the strategic map :PERFECT!:

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: April 27, 2017, 12:43:08 PM »

On a similar note, I've noticed that the Neutron star cores seem to be larger than the white dwarf ones.  They're pretty easy to tell apart because of the jets, but it would be nice if they actually were a little smaller visually.  I understand scale doesn't even enter into the equation, without changing everything in game, but perhaps the neutron star could be shrunk a little so that it appears smaller than a white dwarf without actually changing gameplay too much?

Just to clarify, do you mean on the map or in-game?

Also, it's looking like the distinction between Pirate D vessels and regular D vessels is indeed causing quite a bit of confusion for the people who don't read the game forums.  I accept that weapon mounts can't be refurbished for technical reasons, but is there any similar barrier to just calling it a Wolf (P) instead or something, especially given that you have already done this for Pather ships?  On a similar note, is Destroyed Weapon Mounts on the table for random rolls?  Because if it is, I'd probably argue that it shouldn't be as long as it's irreparable damage.  If part of the purpose of the new salvage mechanics was to improve access and retention of rare ships, having a chance to have them be randomly crippled runs counter to that design without adding meaningful amounts of depth to the salvage system.

Yeah, untangling that now. It's definitely confusing, and mostly for time constraint reasons rather than intent.

Edit: random d-hulls can't get destroyed weapon mounts, no.

Refurbishment costs also seem excessive.  I understand that refurbishment is primarily meant to be a way to gain access to ships that can't be bought with money, but it doesn't need to anywhere near the current level of expense to accomplish that goal.  If a ship is readily available off the market, it doesn't matter how many times more expensive it is to have it refurbished; as soon as buying a new one becomes the cheaper option, that's what will be preferred.  Paying six figures to have a Tempest rebuilt is...harsh.

If anything, I'd probably want to see the price for having a single D-mod removed at somewhat less than the price of buying a new hull.  This still leaves refurbishment the more expensive option for the vast majority of ships you recover from enemies because they are usually going to be in worse shape, but it provides a mechanism for players who aren't running junk fleets to keep their ships in peak condition without constantly replacing their damaged ships with new hulls (or mashing F5), and maybe helps them feel a bit more connected to the ships in their fleets.

Fair point, I'll take a look.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 12:45:48 PM by Alex »

PCCL

• Admiral
  • still gunnyfreak
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: April 27, 2017, 01:16:10 PM »

Also, it's looking like the distinction between Pirate D vessels and regular D vessels is indeed causing quite a bit of confusion for the people who don't read the game forums.  I accept that weapon mounts can't be refurbished for technical reasons, but is there any similar barrier to just calling it a Wolf (P) instead or something, especially given that you have already done this for Pather ships?  On a similar note, is Destroyed Weapon Mounts on the table for random rolls?  Because if it is, I'd probably argue that it shouldn't be as long as it's irreparable damage.  If part of the purpose of the new salvage mechanics was to improve access and retention of rare ships, having a chance to have them be randomly crippled runs counter to that design without adding meaningful amounts of depth to the salvage system.

Yeah, untangling that now. It's definitely confusing, and mostly for time constraint reasons rather than intent.

Edit: random d-hulls can't get destroyed weapon mounts, no.

Just wondering, what's the untangling looking like right now? Are ship skins with changes beyond the d-mods all getting new designations?
mmm.... tartiflette

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: April 27, 2017, 01:20:08 PM »

Just wondering, what's the untangling looking like right now? Are ship skins with changes beyond the d-mods all getting new designations?

From my internal patch notes:

D-hulls, restoration:
   Pre-made, non-pirate etc d-hulls now have same weapon mounts and OP as base hulls
      Will convert to the base hull when restored
   Hulls with paintjobs (e.g. pirate, luddic path, etc) will retain original sprite and skin properties (OP, weapon mounts)
   Clarified restoration dialog: now says that it will remove d-mods rather than "restore to peak condition", which implies more changes than restoration actually does
   Removed "destroyed weapon mounts" hullmod; was more confusing than clarifying the matter
   Pirate-paint-job d-hull names now end in (P) instead of (D)
   Reduced ship restoration cost somewhat (still higher than cost to buy brand-new)

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: April 27, 2017, 01:32:49 PM »

From my internal patch notes:
sounds good!

i agree with Voyager on that removing only a single d-mod should cost a little less than a new ship though, something like ~75%. losses in combat would still lead to painfully costly repairs ( + lost weapons, crew, and supplies), and often it would be better to just keep a recovered ship with a d-mod or two rather than paying for restoration or an entirely new one. but said painfully costly losses wouldn't be quite as painfully costly, and players would be encouraged to stick with their current ships for longer.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: April 27, 2017, 02:03:36 PM »

I like the binary way restoring is handled. For super rare ships I don't care about the price, for bread and butter ships I don't care about some d-mods. There's not really any middle ground for me.
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: April 27, 2017, 05:27:04 PM »

On a similar note, I've noticed that the Neutron star cores seem to be larger than the white dwarf ones.  They're pretty easy to tell apart because of the jets, but it would be nice if they actually were a little smaller visually.  I understand scale doesn't even enter into the equation, without changing everything in game, but perhaps the neutron star could be shrunk a little so that it appears smaller than a white dwarf without actually changing gameplay too much?

Just to clarify, do you mean on the map or in-game?

Within the solar system view; the animated star itself; The core seems to be larger than that of a white dwarf.  I posted a comparison here:
http://imgur.com/a/cL3qT

I know my last post was a little long; but don't forget to rename F-class stars so they are named differently from White Dwarfs:
http://imgur.com/a/LPDO5

Hmmm, I just noticed that the White dwarf in Arcadia is a lot bigger than the one on Magec...so I guess the size of Neutron stars/White Dwarfs might vary anyway.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: April 27, 2017, 09:57:56 PM »

Are we no longer allowed to use Java 8 and the Out of Memory vpparams setup with 0.8a?

I've got quite a few mods loaded. And I'm getting a out of memory error.
I don't know if you have fixed this issue but while yes, java 8 is blocked, the memory fix isn't. You just use java 7 64 bit instead
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #1283 on: April 27, 2017, 10:21:30 PM »

There's a config option ([Starsector-core]/data/config/settings.json) to allow Java 8 BTW.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: April 28, 2017, 12:57:28 AM »

Waitwaitwaitweait.

Can I or can't I use Java 8? And should I? Will is cause problems?

736b

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: April 28, 2017, 01:09:41 AM »

Waitwaitwaitweait.

I've been using Java 8 all the time, so far without issues.

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #1286 on: April 28, 2017, 01:42:27 AM »

Waitwaitwaitweait.

From what I have gathered from reading similar comments on the matter:
Yes you can use Java 8.
Yes it will (may) cause problems.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: April 28, 2017, 02:26:57 AM »

I like the binary way restoring is handled. For super rare ships I don't care about the price, for bread and butter ships I don't care about some d-mods. There's not really any middle ground for me.
I've had the opposite feeling.
There have been some recovered ships I've wanted to use but couldn't because they had one d-mod which essentially made it worthless, when I either didn't care about or could work around the rest.
Tbh, that's usually degraded engines. Lower burn speed is not great but you can work around it. Lower combat speed is horrible but workable. Slower turn rate is just pure NOPE.

I don't suppose it helps much that while I have seen dozens of rare and valuable ships, NONE of them have been recoverable. They have all gone to salvage so far.
So I've not seen anything that's been "worth" restoring completely yet. But if only I could fix the engines on this beat up dominator I could actually use it for something.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: April 28, 2017, 02:50:25 AM »

Every time someone uses JRE8 with SS I die a bit inside.

For every time it works OK for someone, it does not work OK for someone else. While JRE7 works OK for everyone. Meanwhile sometimes JRE8 only has subtle problems.

And the more folks use JRE8 when you are not supposed to, and also talk about it. The more folks that will use it, and the more problems it will cause, the headaches it sometimes causes us modders and Alex are vast and everlasting... To the point where it was prudent to block using the wrong JRE unless someone specifically goes out of their way to use it anyways.

So seriously, please stop using JRE8 for that will improve the overall health of the game. Trust in what Alex and the modders have said in how it is a Bad Idea to not use JRE7.

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: April 28, 2017, 03:09:11 AM »

There were complaints some time ago about Domain drones being too easy to fight. I said I didn't mind at the time, but by now I usually just send one frigate in an tab out of the game for 5 minutes.

I've had the opposite feeling.
There have been some recovered ships I've wanted to use but couldn't because they had one d-mod which essentially made it worthless, when I either didn't care about or could work around the rest.
Tbh, that's usually degraded engines. Lower burn speed is not great but you can work around it. Lower combat speed is horrible but workable. Slower turn rate is just pure NOPE.

I don't suppose it helps much that while I have seen dozens of rare and valuable ships, NONE of them have been recoverable. They have all gone to salvage so far.
So I've not seen anything that's been "worth" restoring completely yet. But if only I could fix the engines on this beat up dominator I could actually use it for something.

Are you playing with the junk-fleet related industry skills? With them, I find every d-ship workable. And even if they get more often damaged and destroyed than normal ships, it doesn't matter too much.
Without the skills, I only use d-auxiliaries, the occasional early cruiser find (temporarily) and rare ships for restoration. If I'd try to use Ds for normal combat without the related skills, I'd not be happy either. Maybe that's the reason for our different experiences?
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 116