Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Companion App  (Read 1550 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Companion App
« on: November 26, 2016, 01:46:31 PM »

So tabbing into map mode is a core part of the game, useful both in combat (tactical map) and in the overworld (navigation, sensor screen & events tracking).
Someone in the blog thread gave me an idea that I think warrants harassing Alex twice about; Companion App for tablet & smartphone that allows you to LAN the information normally accessed by tabbing into map mode live on a separate device.
This may not be strictly useful in certain circumstances (piloting primary ship where any time you need the map you need the game paused too), but there are also a lot of times where having to have the map obscure the action makes playing the game take longer because I'm hanging back from the action anyway, or being able to queue up an order on a second device, do some gameplay and then as soon as I need to give the command I can just hit the confirm button rather than needing to pause the game pull up the map re-select my ships select the new command & select the new target
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Companion App
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 02:11:53 PM »

Sounds more like a job for an enthusiast modder than something that should be in the core game, as I doubt it'd be a profitable investment of effort.

Kaucukovnik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Companion App
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 02:22:04 PM »

Or better yet, support for 2 screens. That would be glorious. Also probably moddable into an app.