Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Regarding the Hound and ships like it  (Read 3532 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Regarding the Hound and ships like it
« on: November 17, 2016, 07:34:33 PM »

I don't know about you but I don't use ships like the Hound and here's why. The Hound has one fixed hard point and one turret that can't shoot left of the 12 o clock, so that if I'm using the fixed gun the enemy is always on the cusp of being unreachable by the turret, and that doesn't feel good to fly.
There is absolutely no reason for that. If you want your ship to suck (for me) and me not to use, great. Mission accomplished.
But sometimes I point this out and someone will say that the bridge is in the way of the turret's arc, to which I reply, and this is why I'm making this thread
if a ship has one turret and the bridge is in the way of the shot, the pilot would just roll the ship so the target is above the bridge. The game abstracts this, because it abstracts all 3d nuance, but a ship not being able to shoot over its own bridge is the 2d representation of the 3d version of this game having a pilot who isn't good enough to communicate with that one turret's gunner so he knows when to roll the target clear, and it's frustrating.
It's okay for the Hound to do it cause the Hound is supposed to suck but idk if you want yours to
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Kaucukovnik

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding the Hound and ships like it
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 06:29:16 AM »

if a ship has one turret and the bridge is in the way of the shot, the pilot would just roll the ship so the target is above the bridge.

If you tilted the ship, the hardpoint would be aiming below the turret's reach and you couldn't utilize both weapons anyway.

Also, multiple ships having such abstractions would lead to some impossible angle combinations in more complicated battles.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 07:28:23 AM »

The Hound is part of the vanilla lineup so I'm not sure why this thread was created in the modding subforum...

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 09:08:33 AM »

As I said, this is about mod ships with a one turret load out like the hound has.

if a ship has one turret and the bridge is in the way of the shot, the pilot would just roll the ship so the target is above the bridge.

If you tilted the ship, the hardpoint would be aiming below the turret's reach and you couldn't utilize both weapons anyway.

Also, multiple ships having such abstractions would lead to some impossible angle combinations in more complicated battles.

In the example I wasn't referring to the ship targeting the same enemy with both guns, although if you roll a ship it doesn't affect that fixed guns (much)
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 03:13:43 PM »

I personally still find the hound plenty enjoyable to fly and indeed still use them in my frigate swarms, though it can be tough to find survivable loadouts once I start swarming targets such as the templar.

I think you can simulate rolling the ship pretty well just by turning the ship a bit to the side, imo, since in space you don't actually have to face your enemies head-on.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 05:50:09 PM »

Honestly, I think the hound is less for fighting, and more for getting your cargo as quickly as possibly away from the enmy, with a turret on it to help defend against interceptors.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 06:31:44 PM »

Are there specific ships in specific mods being complained about here?