Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Author Topic: Favorite safety override loadout  (Read 8722 times)

RandomnessInc

• Commander
    • View Profile
Favorite safety override loadout
« on: October 28, 2016, 10:34:25 AM »

For me, it's a tie...

First, a dominator with no missiles, mjolnir cannons, front 3 smalls as lux carbines and the rest small mounts PD

The other is a nevermore with for dual shard cannons, four of the blackrock LRM MIRVS (can't remember the names ATM), PD in small energizes, Dont remember what I put in the middle medium ATM, heavy armor and auxiliary thrusters, its OP as hell.
May the fry be with you.

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite safety override loadout
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2016, 01:09:38 PM »

I'd be interested in hearing about some good cruiser SO loadouts, it's easy enough to make a really sick build for a frigate/destroyer (the one and only Hound ;) ) but I have no idea what should I go for when it comes to cruisers.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2016, 01:56:09 PM »

SO is all about brawling as it cut down your range to 450, so it's usually a better idea to mount low range weapons (which tends to be low flux and high DPS, ideal for this hullmod). Machine guns, Annihilators, Vulcans and Phase lances are in my opinion the best SO weapons you can get. Here what i did in the feedback thread :

Spoiler

Don't judge a ship by its empty mounts
[close]

Looks clunky, and yet surprisingly deadly. The SO Eagle is fast, reasonably armoured, and can deal huge burst damage to its unfortunate target. The loadout can be tweaked depending on the skills. At higher level, i was able to add a third heavy MG and two more ion cannons. The trick is to lower the shield to benefit from the additional 210 flux dissipation, the ion cannons can thankfully helps you keeping the target docile enough in the meantime. I know those two annihilators here almost feel superfluous, and they are in some way due to the distant position of the missile mounts, they can be ditched in favour of point defence if needed.

I tried to make a blaster variant, but the Eagle tends to suffer too much from low OPs and vent points for it.

I changed my mind a bit about it, i would probably ditch the HMGs for dual MGs at low level, the DPS is still high enough for most brawls. Probably would remove the Annihilators as well, their position isn't ideal and 3 phase lances is more than enough to deal with armor anyway. The gained OPs would be distributed either in PD, venting or another ion cannon (SO ships usually have to armor tank, and EMP is helpful with this).

Spoiler

Bear hugs for everyone!
[close]

Not as good as other SO ships at catching small targets, but that's not its job. The SO Dominator purpose is to find the biggest enemy ship and stick its rocket covered prow as close as possible to it. Thanks to its heavy armour, it can even survive encounters with enemy capital ships, and will vaporise anything smaller that couldn't get out of its way in time.

Also, switching Unstable Injectors for Augmented Engines as soon as possible is wise. You will ram things a lot (voluntarily or not), and UI will make the ship flame-out all the damn time.

Not much changes on this one, vulcans can be changed to MGs if needed.

The Aurora can kinda do it too, but will need levels to get enough OPs.

As a rule of thumb, if a ship have a lot of weapon mounts, it'll work well with Safety Override. No idea how you managed to make a SO Hound works though. Granted, it's now ridiculously fast, and perfect for a smuggler, but in battle? Eh...

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2016, 04:00:16 PM »

No idea how you managed to make a SO Hound works though. Granted, it's now ridiculously fast, and perfect for a smuggler, but in battle? Eh...

Well, I primarily use it for late-game fun, so to speak.

Hound (A)
5 Caps
7 Vents
Heavy MG
Light Assault Gun
Safety Overrides
Front Shield Generator

or:

Zero Caps
2 Vents
HMG
LAG
Safety Overrides
Agumented Engines
Integrated Targeting Unit
Auxiliary Thrusters
With 10 Helmanship, top speed is over 400!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 04:07:03 PM by SpacePoliticianAndaZealot »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2016, 05:14:44 PM »

Lasher with two (dual) LMGs, two Vulcans, two Annihilators, and one Assault Gun (if Annihilators run out).  Excellent cheap and quick-killing pursuit ship to kill civilians or severely crippled and/or mothballed warships of any kind.  With max skills, it can solo some smaller fleets.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2016, 05:19:10 PM »

I thought the Enforcer Heavy Machinegun SO loadout (can't remember who first proposed it) was pretty awesome.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2016, 12:16:01 PM »

Sunder + Plasma Cannon

VuNut

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 02:19:59 AM »

Sunder + Plasma Cannon

Triple heavy blaster sunder is fun too.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 10:04:01 AM »

I use safety override on all my freighters. The Safety override gives no strategic map penalties. It makes them harder to catch and since you basicallly just want them to retreat, the reduced weapons effectiveness and reduced combat endurance is no problem.

sirboomalot

• Admiral
  • Boom
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 08:24:36 PM »

I like to throw SO on shadowyard's Inanna with a bunch of phase-lance type weapons, the speed and great base flux stats give it great survivability as it hit'n runs enemy ships.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2016, 08:44:06 PM »

I made this video a while ago about the hyperion. Dual phase lances.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MSAT4iacLA