Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Special hull mod for other vanilla factions?  (Read 5391 times)

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Special hull mod for other vanilla factions?
« on: September 27, 2016, 07:20:10 AM »

Currently I am only seeing the XIV battle group as hull mod for hegemony.
Is there any planning of special forces for other factions, I wonder.

For instance, Tri-tachyon might have their own special force, let's name it 'Task Force XIX'.
With this hull mod, energy weapon got range and damage boost, but with less efficient shield and more supply cost.

These special forces should have characteristics corresponding to it's faction's style and can make the game a bit more fun for the fact that XIV ships can only be bought from hegemony military while you can get almost any other hull on black market.
By adding other factions' own special force, you might think twice before joining specific faction.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Special hull mod for other vanilla factions?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2016, 08:54:53 AM »

I'd love for each major faction to have 1-2 totally unique hulls that only they sell/deploy. The special hullmod variants (like the Hegemony's XIV) are cool and a welcome addition but I'd like for it to go further than just the same ship with a few tweaks and a different paint job.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2016, 11:07:39 AM »

The Path kinda already has that in a way
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2016, 02:59:42 PM »

Yeah, I too would like to see some more XIV (and Auxiliary (Like the hound A)) level skins for the TT and the Lions
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2016, 08:21:29 AM »

Scarab is a Tri-Tachyon exclusive hull.  Not even the Independents, who have access to every other standard hull, use it.

Factions having special hulls and/or variants would be nice, and it would be nice if player can get something special of his own if he can establish his own faction.

Luddic Church is boring, hardly worth raiding Eos Exodus.  Sindrians use Conquest and some (A) ships, but otherwise use standard hulls.  Only thing worthwhile about them is their star system.

Pirates use little more than broken-down clunkers, but at least they are visually distinct and identifiable, much like Hegemony's XIV.

Tri-Tachyon is the only faction that uses high-tech prominently.  Sindrian fakes it with Lion's Guard, and Independent use everything except Scarab and faction specialties like XIV.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2016, 10:32:33 AM »

Actually, thinking about it I don't think it'd make sense for the Tri-Tach to have it. They sort of already do, they're the ones that produce all the high-tech ships, so the wolf and the paragon ARE tri-tach faction ships. It's just that the Tri-Tach is a corporation, so by nature it sells what it makes as opposed to a military which would rather moth-ball what it decides it doesn't need.
The Sindrian Diktat maybe, but I think they and the Lion's Guard are there to make military use of the high end of the non-hegemony non-tritach ye olde doman line that the independants kind of never get around to making use of
Idk, the more I think about it the more I'm convinced that making every faction have an exclusive built-in hullmod diminishes the already existing fact that every faction has their own ship line and distinct style, and would sort of through implication make everything that isn't XIV or faction equivalent feel like a "universal" hull when the same general affect is much more naturally achieved now
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

woodsmoke

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016, 11:48:26 AM »

I agree Tri-Tachyon really doesn't need anything, and the XIV ships are probably sufficient to differentiate the Hegemony, but the Diktat and the Luddic Church are virtually interchangeable. The Conquest alone is hardly enough to set the former apart and the latter doesn't even have that little bit of uniqueness (I don't think Pather hulls count here, on account of they're effectively pirates and not actually part of the faction proper).

I don't necessarily think every faction should look totally unique, but I do think they should have some degree of a unique feel to them. Right now, TTC* is the only one who really has that.

*And the Independents, bizarrely, on account of they like to mix low and hi-tech together.
The more I learn, the less I know.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2016, 06:45:02 PM »

Ship and Weapon Pack kind of fixes this a little adding more Luddic Path skinned ships (as well as the Cathedral), and the next release might have Lion's Guard hullmod that increases ordinance and slightly improved flux abilities at the cost of increased deployment cost..

Morgan Rue

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2016, 09:17:17 PM »

Honestly, I think that Lions' Guard ships should have built in Solar Shielding. Yes, it doesn't do much, but it does match up with their lore and make actual use of the hull mod.
Also, Luddic Church definitely needs something to differentiate itself.
Dauntless.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2016, 10:44:12 PM »

Honestly, I think that Lions' Guard ships should have built in Solar Shielding. Yes, it doesn't do much, but it does match up with their lore and make actual use of the hull mod.

I like that idea.

For me at least it is more about factions feeling unique and not so much about crucial bonuses. A ship with a slightly altered skin and some minor gimmick can be special enough without affecting the balance much or making its generic counterpart redundant.
Alternatively you could pick a design that's generally considered subpar and apply a more noticeable boost to create an exclusive version for a faction, but that's only viable for objectively bad (or non-combat) ships.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 02:08:50 AM »

(Subtle Coughing).
Give it a shot if you want, it just doesn't work with Dynasector.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 07:39:12 AM »

(Subtle Coughing).
Give it a shot if you want, it just doesn't work with Dynasector.

Alright, those are pretty sexy.

Too bad about Dynasector, are there any conflicts with Nexerelin?

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2016, 04:42:27 PM »

Doesn't conflict with Nexerelin, SS+ or anything like that - just Dynasector's randomiser renders the mod unusable.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2016, 04:11:01 AM »

Yes. Ships that spend a fair portion of thier lifetime wandering through Askonia's comically huge corona would probably be hardened against it's effects as much as can be managed.