Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Fighting piracy with convenience: steam workshop  (Read 34194 times)

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Fighting piracy with convenience: steam workshop
« on: September 23, 2016, 09:30:22 PM »

Having steam workshop support at some point (presumably after being on steam hehe) is a good way to encourage people to buy it. DRM just doesn't work unless you dish out 100k, and then it may work for a bit. It's like how spotify gets people to pay for music instead of pirating. It's just so much more convenient. We have some pretty great mods, and I only see that going up as it gets closer and closer to release.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: Fighting piracy with convenience: steam workshop
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 10:20:02 PM »

What the hell does Steam Workshop have to do with pirating?

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 10:20:22 PM »

Starsector supporting the Workshop is a good way to gut the Modiverse of several of the existing modders.

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 10:30:53 PM »

What the hell does Steam Workshop have to do with pirating?

You don't get access to steam workshop if you pirate a game.

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 10:36:33 PM »

Starsector supporting the Workshop is a good way to gut the Modiverse of several of the existing modders.

?

Edit: most developers give steam codes to previous buyers if that is what you're referring to. I've never heard Alex comment on whether he'll ever go to steam or what he'd do if he did, but it's what I've seen other indie developers do.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:39:48 PM by AgroFrizzy »

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 10:43:52 PM »

I think existing mods would be difficult/inconvenient to shoehorn into the Steam Workshop, but at some future date I could see myself contributing to something that was intended to be Workshop content from the beginning. But like Meso and I suspect a lot of modders, I'm not in this for money, I'm in it to learn more about and customize the game. I'd feel weird about charging for what I've done so far; it would suck a lot of the fun out for me.

Other people might feel differently, of course.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 11:40:44 AM by Harmful Mechanic »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 10:48:46 PM »

?

Edit: most developers give steam codes to previous buyers if that is what you're referring to. I've never heard Alex comment on whether he'll ever go to steam or what he'd do if he did, but it's what I've seen other indie developers do.
Most likely Alex will do steam, but ONLY when SS is ready.
And what Meso means is that if Alex were to do steam workshop, most of the modders would not use it at the BEST and at worse would actually QUIT modding SS. Why? Because they, the modders, want to OWN their mods and NOT steam/ valve
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 10:54:48 PM »

?

Most likely Alex will do steam, but ONLY when SS is ready.
And what Meso means is that if Alex were to do steam workshop, most of the modders would not use it at the BEST and at worse would actually QUIT modding SS. Why? Because they, the modders, want to OWN their mods and NOT steam/ valve

Is that actually a thing? I'm interested. Never heard that.

The two don't have to be mutually exclusive either. There is still appeal in buying a game to have streamlined mod support even if you can add mods outside of it (Starbound).

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 10:59:16 PM »

Content ownership would be the big issue, yeah. Even if I put my work up on the Workshop, I'd stop adding content and just maintain it. I might pull ships I really liked the art for, to retain full rights if I decided to use them in my own projects later. I think most people whose mods lean heavily on laborious original work would do something similar; the net effect would be 'fewer mods', not 'more game purchases'.

But who knows. Maybe there's planned DLC, maybe we're just that disposable in the end. I'd hate to stop modding this game, but I wouldn't be thrilled about signing over two years of fun and learning over to Valve, either.

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 11:40:22 PM »

Content ownership would be the big issue, yeah. Even if I put my work up on the Workshop, I'd stop adding content and just maintain it. I might pull ships I really liked the art for, to retain full rights if I decided to use them in my own projects later. I think most people whose mods lean heavily on laborious original work would do something similar; the net effect would be 'fewer mods', not 'more game purchases'.

But who knows. Maybe there's planned DLC, maybe we're just that disposable in the end. I'd hate to stop modding this game, but I wouldn't be thrilled about signing over two years of fun and learning over to Valve, either.

I'm much more likely to buy a game if it has steam workshop support, and even more likely to buy it if I can play it on the same computer with my girlfriend (surprisingly niche).

I did a bit of digging on steam ownership stuff. My understanding is that it doesn't remove your rights over what you did. You can still do stuff with it elsewhere (unless it's subject to licenses from tools that created it). What it does mean is that steam could do whatever they want with it on the steam platform. Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/33pw0t/licensing_and_mods_coming_from_a_gamer_with_a_bit/

I own over 400 games on steam. Many of them have steam workshop, and afaik none of them have paid mods.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2016, 12:07:04 AM »

I did a bit of digging on steam ownership stuff. My understanding is that it doesn't remove your rights over what you did. You can still do stuff with it elsewhere (unless it's subject to licenses from tools that created it). What it does mean is that steam could do whatever they want with it on the steam platform. Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/skyrimmods/comments/33pw0t/licensing_and_mods_coming_from_a_gamer_with_a_bit/

Not sure your link really makes a strong case for using the workshop.

However, at any point in the future they may change the rules, and require that the a more complete set of rights of any product uploaded on their platform be transferred to them. This is what Linden (2nd life) and EA (the sims) did. All the more reason to avoid steam workshop like the plague.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2016, 03:20:36 AM »

Steam Workshop is great for players, but not at all for modders (and yes a good chunk of its issues comes from blanket EULA that are unlikely to be used against said modders, but it still diminish greatly their rights). Fortunately Starsector's EULA concerning modding is currently incompatible with Steam's EULA.
It is also a big pain to maintain a mod system that supports both workshop and manual installation mods, both for the modders and Alex.

Long story short, as a player I see the appeal; as a modder OH ALEX PLEASE NO!
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 03:38:10 AM by Tartiflette »

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2016, 03:32:55 AM »

Eh, as a game that's probably not gonna be on Steam I don't see why it needs to be on the Workshop. Why would you want to hand this great modding community over to that horrible place anyway?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2016, 03:39:57 AM »

Eh, as a game that's probably not gonna be on Steam I don't see why it needs to be on the Workshop. Why would you want to hand this great modding community over to that horrible place anyway?
Actually Alex always said that Starsector will get on Steam "When it's done".

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2016, 03:54:07 AM »

The original point is about piracy.

I still argue that no, the Steam Workshop does not dissuade piracy; pirates can easily just copy popular mod packs into a big archive.  I know this because it has already happened, if you were paying attention to the random 4chan threads earlier this year.

The Workshop has other problems beyond that, such as forcing us to maintain mods using that service (yet another step), deal with people making false clones of our existing mods, mod installation issues, mod conflicts, having to be beholden to Valve for lots of important things like, say, our rights...

Speaking of rights, if you ever want to use material in a portfolio (for a job offer etc.), you should be very  D A M N  sure you have the rights to it!  That's a gray zone with Workshop material, and it becomes harder to prove that you actually made any given item.  The problem isn't Valve stealing your ***, it's about its gray legality.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6