Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: Orbital Stations in Combat  (Read 96261 times)

N1ghteyes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Orbital Stations in Combat
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2016, 10:30:48 AM »

How common are battlestations going to be? I forsee not too common but if they aren't garenteed to be overwhelming bohemoths then is 1 in every major system a good guess?

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 30, 2016, 10:54:22 AM »

You're not gonna get an answer to that question:

Quote from: Blogpost
Like exploration, orbital stations are a bit awkward to talk about because I’d like to avoid spoiling things, and this rules out talking about all of the content currently using these mechanics.

Yet :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

N1ghteyes

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 30, 2016, 04:34:04 PM »

Fair enough  8)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 06, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »

A few modding related questions, if you don't mind (some crazier than others):

Is there a way to mark a module as unmodifiable?  Especially for armor modules, it seems that being able to select these when refitting a ship would be more frustrating to a player than useful.

Is there a way to control module render order, and if so, is it possible to make a module render under the main ship instead of over?

What happens if a module type slot doesn't have a specific module built in?  Would it be possible for the player to choose from appropriately-sized modules in their cargo hold, or is this not supported?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2016, 10:59:24 AM »

Is there a way to mark a module as unmodifiable?  Especially for armor modules, it seems that being able to select these when refitting a ship would be more frustrating to a player than useful.

If it's got 0 OP, it won't be selectable.

Is there a way to control module render order, and if so, is it possible to make a module render under the main ship instead of over?

You can set the hull size, though generally speaking you want to use FRIGATE for modules. But if you use, say, DESTROYER, then FRIGATE-sized modules would render over it. But maybe not on the compound ship icon, not sure. The case where modules overlap with each other (rather than just the ship) isn't exactly built for.

What happens if a module type slot doesn't have a specific module built in?  Would it be possible for the player to choose from appropriately-sized modules in their cargo hold, or is this not supported?

Not supported, at least for the moment. If a module isn't specified for a slot in the .variant file, that slot will just be empty.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2016, 11:06:21 AM »

The case where modules overlap with each other (rather than just the ship) isn't exactly built for.
Huh.  Given the suggestion of armor modules as a thing, and the description in the blog post of shooting through one module to get at another one, I would've expected this to be a thing.  ...Then again, given that, I would've expected recursive modules to be a thing, too, and you've already said that isn't supported, so what do I know?

(Answer: I know this next update will be awesome, that's what.)

Edit: also, thanks for the answers!  Much appreciated.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2016, 11:18:33 AM »

Huh.  Given the suggestion of armor modules as a thing, and the description in the blog post of shooting through one module to get at another one, I would've expected this to be a thing.

The thinking regarding those is they'd be adjacent to but not on top of nearby modules.

(Answer: I know this next update will be awesome, that's what.)

:D

Edit: also, thanks for the answers!  Much appreciated.

Yep, glad to answer.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 12, 2016, 02:19:12 PM »

How do stations / modules show up in the Codex?  ...Or do they?  (I, at least, would be quite happy with a way to prevent certain hulls from showing up in the Codex...)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 12, 2016, 04:32:53 PM »

(I, at least, would be quite happy with a way to prevent certain hulls from showing up in the Codex...)

Seconded, this would be extremely useful.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 12, 2016, 05:05:25 PM »

(I, at least, would be quite happy with a way to prevent certain hulls from showing up in the Codex...)

I assume you're aware that there's already a suggestion thread for this specifically.
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11377.0

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 12, 2016, 05:07:47 PM »

How do stations / modules show up in the Codex?  ...Or do they?  (I, at least, would be quite happy with a way to prevent certain hulls from showing up in the Codex...)

For now, these show up in the codex, but I'll need to add a flag to take the modules/exploration content out at some point before the release.

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 12, 2016, 08:38:16 PM »

For now, these show up in the codex, but I'll need to add a flag to take the modules/exploration content out at some point before the release.

Nice! :) Good to know this is being considered and I can safely read the codex in the future!

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 13, 2016, 12:26:12 AM »

That is a GREAT news! Thanks!

Squigzilla

• Commander
  • SQUIG Industries
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 15, 2016, 12:28:36 PM »

While we're addressing the codex, combining all hull variants into a single entry would be nice. For example, have a single Lasher entry with information on all the various faction variants contained on one page.
High Admiral Davian MacNaile of the SQUIG Industries Human Resources Motivational Flotilla

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 15, 2016, 02:38:31 PM »

oh man if the new blog update is posted in a week I'm gonna be devastated, I sure hope Alex doesn't break my heart here ):
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15