Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15

Author Topic: Orbital Stations in Combat  (Read 96250 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Orbital Stations in Combat
« on: September 23, 2016, 11:57:50 AM »

Blog post here.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 12:46:39 PM by David »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Orbital Stations in Combat
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2016, 12:10:47 PM »

Neat!

The first question that comes to my mind: what happens to a station with destroyed module(s) when combat ends?  Say I engage a planetary defense force, manage to blow up part of their station, and then have to retreat.  How long will it take them to get those modules back up and running?  Are they still gone if I immediately re-engage?  What if I run away to give my fleet a few days to recover CR?

And from the other side; if I have a station (or other multi-module ship) in my fleet, and a module is destroyed, do I lose the weapons on it?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2016, 12:13:11 PM »

Not sure how I feel about CR on the station, but outside of that I'm loving what I'm seeing!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2016, 12:22:42 PM »

The first question that comes to my mind: what happens to a station with destroyed module(s) when combat ends?  Say I engage a planetary defense force, manage to blow up part of their station, and then have to retreat.  How long will it take them to get those modules back up and running?  Are they still gone if I immediately re-engage?  What if I run away to give my fleet a few days to recover CR?

They take a bit of time to be repaired/reattached, but not *too* long. Off the top of my head (this has been in the game for maybe 2 months, actually, just now writing about it) it's something like the time it takes to repair 25% of their hull.

And from the other side; if I have a station (or other multi-module ship) in my fleet, and a module is destroyed, do I lose the weapons on it?

Hmm, not actually sure. I *think* the way it'd work as coded right now is you would keep the weapons, and they would just reappear along with the module. Which may or may not be desirable; will most likely have to look at this again.

Not sure how I feel about CR on the station, but outside of that I'm loving what I'm seeing!

As a side note here, stations have unlimited peak time.

Ghoti

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2016, 12:24:23 PM »

All I’m asking for, then, is some brakes for the potential hype train.

NEVER

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2016, 12:29:48 PM »

it's a little.. small, isn't it?

i always envisioned the naval yards around jangala etc. taking up like one edge of the map entirely by itself. then you have to crawl through it's fire for most of the map and shoot it.

or is that a tiny station because it looks smaller than that dominator.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2016, 12:35:17 PM »

The main thing that makes this otherwise smart-looking (if I do say so myself) station a placeholder is its size, barely battleship-level. That’s not to say it could never see action in a different role, but it’s not big enough to be, say, a hypothetical battlestation defending a planet.
i always envisioned the naval yards around jangala etc. taking up like one edge of the map entirely by itself. then you have to crawl through it's fire for most of the map and shoot it.
Hm, something like that would make a rather epic boss fight for something like SS+'s old arcade mode.  Especially if the only way to finally kill it is to fly in through a narrow hole in the superstructure and destroy the core...  But that wouldn't work outside of an arcade mode; can you imagine the AI trying to pilot a fleet through a maze?  So not happening.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2016, 12:37:03 PM »

Duuuuude:

Quote from: blog post
The main thing that makes this otherwise smart-looking (if I do say so myself) station a placeholder is its size, barely battleship-level. That’s not to say it could never see action in a different role, but it’s not big enough to be, say, a hypothetical battlestation defending a planet.

:D

(Ah, ninja'ed.)

That, on the other hand, would be a bit much for the game to handle. I think. So: somewhere in between.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2016, 12:38:51 PM »

I will not stand to hear the size of Placeholder Station being mocked! It is a proud structure; noble even, blazing a trail by rotating very slowly in the dark unknown so that others, perhaps larger though this speculation is in no way made to denigrate the scale of the aforementioned station whose heroism is unchallenged, may follow!

Machine

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2016, 12:39:36 PM »

As a side note here, stations have unlimited peak time.

I suppose that's configurable per station, I mean it's not like I want to make a "ship" will multiple sections  ;).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2016, 12:40:37 PM »

I will not stand to hear the size of Placeholder Station being mocked! It is a proud structure; noble even, blazing a trail by rotating very slowly in the dark unknown so that others, perhaps larger though this speculation is in no way made to denigrate the scale of the aforementioned station whose heroism is unchallenged, may follow!

I... I think I have something in my eye.

I suppose that's configurable per station, I mean it's not like I want to make a "ship" will multiple sections  ;).

Yep, ship_data.csv, same as everything else.

Chaos Farseer

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2016, 12:45:43 PM »

Well, I guess that makes TwigLib obsolete. Still awesome, but kind of funny that way.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2016, 12:48:44 PM »

Minor suggestion: make the station range boost grant at least normal capital levels of +range to ballistic PD.  Flak may be okay without a range boost at all, at least when the turrets are near the edge of the ship, but vulcans and light machine guns need all the help they can get.

Aside: Yay, we can get tachyon lance sniping again!  We just have to be towing a station with us.  ;-)

Also aside: And now I'm having flashbacks to Master of Orion II, where I so greatly wished I could outfit my stations.  "No, don't install a death ray!  We can fit twenty plasma cannons in that space!"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2016, 12:52:46 PM »

Minor suggestion: make the station range boost grant at least normal capital levels of +range to ballistic PD.  Flak may be okay without a range boost at all, at least when the turrets are near the edge of the ship, but vulcans and light machine guns need all the help they can get.

Actually already works that way, just didn't want to belabor the point in the blog post! Non-beam PD gets +50% range while everything else gets +200%.

Also aside: And now I'm having flashbacks to Master of Orion II, where I so greatly wished I could outfit my stations.  "No, don't install a death ray!  We can fit twenty plasma cannons in that space!"

Yeah, reminds me of not researching specific tech just so it wouldn't get auto-used by the stations...

(Also, MoO2 plasma cannons OP.)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2016, 01:38:28 PM »

Wow this update is going to be huge!  :D

Also, in the 1+1=2 category:

Fighters are now ship weapons that can be built in, meaning unique carrier builds with special fighters are possible.

Stations are "ships" in the essential ways.

;D ;D ;D ..(Oh right, hype train moderation:)  :)  :)  :)

Alright I have to ask,

any chance of getting a glimpse into the file structure changes? At this point they have to be... well I'd rather not think about it. ha.

I can post something in the modding subforum if there are enough to warrant it, but even things like "removed these columns in wing_data.csv, added these 3 columns for stations in ship_data.csv" and that sort of stuff would help all us excited modders get up to speed quickly
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 15