Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: 4 years....  (Read 34497 times)

Ronald Klein

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 4 years....
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2016, 02:26:45 PM »

I tend to view this game as an exceptional scotch that gets deeper and richer with every year it ages except I also get to regularly taste it and see just how much better and more complex it gets.

This is game development taken to the perfect art form it can and should be.Naturally I want to play the full game already but there's plenty of things to do in between major updates and the very fact that it takes so long for each one to come out to me at least means I get to rediscover a bit more of it everytime that I had forgotten and not just the new aspects implemented.

For example I never did get phase ships until this last update: I sucked playing them and I was murdered more often than not by them, but now they're exactly where they should be and I finally enjoy them to their fullest extent.

And as for value for money, Starfarer(it shall forever be Starfarer for me) utterly blows anything else out of the water for me. I paid, what,10-15 bucks about 4 years ago and I have easily played it more than any other game in my 16 years of gaming.

Whenever the full game is released I'm buying it again and I'm getting every single one of my friends a copy because this masterpiece needs to be shared with anyone that likes to interact with their art.

braven25

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 20, 2016, 12:17:16 AM »

I am all for doing a Job right and taking the time to get it right, I also have no issue waiting years for a product to be truely finished.

That said however, when updates are beyond 6+ months, it create the impression the game development is dead.

They be plenty people who don't own the game, but are interested in it, so they will bookmark it and check back every month or so, but when they consistantly see no updates they they think development is dead and un-bookmark... potential customer lost.

Not everyone check the forum to see if they is active dev's, with amount of EA titles these days it be full time job just checking each game for active devs, so people depend on frequent updates to gauge if a game is still really being worked on, and how dedicated those devs are, it might not be a accurate gauge, but it creates a public perception that can drastically impact potential sales.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 12:26:07 AM by braven25 »

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 21, 2016, 03:17:58 PM »

It is hard to believe it has been four years.  I got my moneys worth out of this game when it was just a selection of combat scenarios.  I am impressed to see Alex faithfully continue making his vision for this game a reality, and although I have not played it lately (as I want to enjoy it afresh in its complete form)  the closer the version numbers edges to 1.0 the more my anticipation builds.  Four years of continual, near solo, development is not a reason to complain but is rather a reason to commend the developer for sticking with his project even after the initial surge of early access funding.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2016, 04:30:23 PM »

It is hard to believe it has been four years.  I got my moneys worth out of this game when it was just a selection of combat scenarios.  I am impressed to see Alex faithfully continue making his vision for this game a reality, and although I have not played it lately (as I want to enjoy it afresh in its complete form)  the closer the version numbers edges to 1.0 the more my anticipation builds.  Four years of continual, near solo, development is not a reason to complain but is rather a reason to commend the developer for sticking with his project even after the initial surge of early access funding.

What I was thinking, just with an added of wonder when "It is finished" When features are just added non stop.

etlouis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 21, 2016, 07:10:21 PM »

Cost-wise, I love starsector and tbh it is more fun than a lot of games that were released before finished properly (Stellaris? I'm still *** off at that title),

Starsector's got good bang for buck.

Time-wise, I'm torn between 2 states, one of me wants Alex to hire a good team and start hauling ass towards the finish line;

the other me just wants him to take his time and make it as good as it can be.

A thing to point out is time doesn't always scale positively with product quality. There's Blizzard and valve which takes decades to make a game,

and those games are so addictive, fun and deep that people can play it for another decade. Diablo and WOW are legends of their genre.

Bear in mind there are also games that turn out to be mediocre even after years of  fine-tuning.

Devs spent years on Spaz 2, I still feel it didn't hit the bar they set with Spaz 1.

That being said, there are big chunks missing from the game now (story, progression, music...etc.)

if Alex ever feels he cannot do something by himself then by all means he needs to hire the manpower

I would go so far as to say, that if he goes on Steam greenlight and needs more money

I would throw down another 30 bucks to see this game done within a year.

PS: Some of the mods are so amazing I can only say they should be included in the main game and credited properly, eg.:  Blackrock shipyards and Starsector+

celestis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 23, 2016, 08:34:46 AM »

With current amount of content in the game I have no problem with it still being in early access. Most of the features are already here, and I personally have played more $ out of unfinished Starsector than from many released AAA titles. If such pace is convenient for Alex, then okay, he seems to know what he does, "quality over quantity".

Phyroks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 23, 2016, 10:55:24 AM »

Yeah the wait is often killing me, without mods it would be hopeless, but atleast there is progress and I dont feel like I over payed! Still checking weekly for new updates, so the game must be doing something right instead of making me give up! But for the love of god, I cant wait for ever ^_^

edit: paid 10.80e 2012 :S
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 10:59:39 AM by Phyroks »

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2016, 10:18:34 AM »

I bought Starsector, nay Starfarer, way back in... 2012, I think it would have been. Maybe even 2011. I figure I got more than my money's worth in the first month alone, and at that point the game had nothing but single missions and it would be years before the campaign mode - the very first one, with only the Corvus system and no trading - would be released.

Yes, Starsector development cycle is long. Yes, I wish it were completed faster.

No, I'm not angry. The progress is slow but it's sure. New updates, when they land, tend to be very polished. So I simply accept that things are as they are and keep my eye on the forums, play the game some after each new update, then go away to wait for the next one. I have time, and good things come to those who wait.

AgroFrizzy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 24, 2016, 10:46:25 AM »

I bought Starsector, nay Starfarer, way back in... 2012, I think it would have been. Maybe even 2011. I figure I got more than my money's worth in the first month alone, and at that point the game had nothing but single missions and it would be years before the campaign mode - the very first one, with only the Corvus system and no trading - would be released.

Yes, Starsector development cycle is long. Yes, I wish it were completed faster.

No, I'm not angry. The progress is slow but it's sure. New updates, when they land, tend to be very polished. So I simply accept that things are as they are and keep my eye on the forums, play the game some after each new update, then go away to wait for the next one. I have time, and good things come to those who wait.

Literally everything you said is true for me too  :D, I couldn't agree more

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 24, 2016, 10:56:21 AM »

starsector is in the flight sim category entertainment wise.

mostly i complain on the forum but i've played over 500 hours at this point more than likely (more than likely way more)

game was like what, 15 bux back in the day?

i only still linger here and complain about muh fighters because i loved the game, love the game and will probably continue to love the game barring some great catastrophe that irrevocably ruins it forever somehow

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 24, 2016, 11:26:25 AM »

i only still linger here and complain about muh fighters because i loved the game, love the game and will probably continue to love the game barring some great catastrophe that irrevocably ruins it forever somehow

I'm pretty sure that's true for all of us, even the most constant complainers.

If Starsector was *** we'd all have said so once or twice and then moved on because it wasn't worth wasting any more time on it.
Most people usually only stick around to nag and make demands if they are somewhat invested in a game or at least see a lot of potential.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]