Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Add hard flux dissipation to Safety Override  (Read 4015 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Add hard flux dissipation to Safety Override
« on: September 19, 2016, 09:19:30 AM »

Because most ships with Safety Override are forced to melee range, they will take hits on the shield.  The accelerated dissipation from Safety Override does no good while shields are up and hard flux is sufficiently high.  Players who normally rely on venting to drop shields during heat of battle get annoyed wasting a few seconds watching vent control not working before remembering to use normal shield control, and is the AI smart enough to lower shields to dissipate if flux is not already too high?

Safety Override ships need to work close and fast, or they are done due to CR decay.  How about adding hard flux dissipation, like the Monitor's Flux Shunt, to make flux management a bit less annoying for the AI and the player who tries to remember shield button when venting does not work.  In case of multiple hullmod dissipation sources, they multiply instead of add together.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Add hard flux dissipation to Safety Override
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016, 09:54:22 AM »

i like that idea. atm, i only use SO on ships that rely more on armor than on shields (Enforcer being a prime example) or on dedicated pursuit ships that usually don't encounter much resistance. on more high-tech ships, the vastly increased flux dissipation doesn't seem as useful due to their reliance on shields.
this is further exacerbated by the mobility boost being more powerful (relatively to their base mobility) on lower-tech ships, while the huge cut in PPT is a more severe drawback for higher-tech ones.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2016, 03:37:58 PM »

I would say no. While the AI does in general need to lower its shields more, thats a overall problem not really related to SO. I don't think the player needs this. SO is imo nicely balanced at the moment by allowing some cool niche builds without being an automatic choice, and the player not remembering to hit 'shields' instead of 'vent' is to me not a good reason for changing a working mechanic.

Edit: Also, since SO doubles the base flux as well as vents, I often find that on high tech ships I don't need to max vents and can instead put on more capacitors than usual. Combined with massive speed, you can just convert your large flux pool into a dead enemy and then retreat to safety to lower the shield. You can build high tech hit and run capacitor ships.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 03:40:47 PM by Thaago »

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2016, 05:54:05 PM »

SO dissipating hard flux would be really really powerful.

Can't say it'd be OP without testing it....... but just imagine how it'd work on an SO Medusa.
Relatively small target, fast moving, high capacity, high efficiency shield, really high dissipation thanks to SO; you'd have to sustain a very high DPS for a long time to force it to back off.

You can see a little of the potential problems this would cause in the current Monitor.
Even though its in-built Flux Shunt hull mod only gives 50% hard dissipation, and the ship has a mediocre 0.8 shield, stick SO on it along with some vents, and it can tank effectively without using its fortress shield!
Its only the Monitor's anaemic .... everything else.... that prevents it being a terrifying ship.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 06:08:50 PM by TJJ »

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2016, 07:59:31 PM »

50% would definitely be way too much. and i don't think SO needs a buff on ships like Enforcer at all. but currently, SO on Medusa doesn't seem worth it. at some point increased dissipation becomes meaningless, if most or even all of the flux build-up comes from absorbing damage with shields, rather than firing your own weapons.

King Alfonzo

• Admiral
  • -- D O C T O R --
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2016, 09:40:48 PM »

Hilarious idea: Taking SO replaces the ship system with the monitor hard-flux dissipation system.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 09:41:15 PM »

I think SO is already pretty good - add this and some ships would become monsters.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Sy

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 09:54:54 PM »

Hilarious idea: Taking SO replaces the ship system with the monitor hard-flux dissipation system.
that's not a "system", though. the Monitor's hard-flux dissipation comes from an in-built custom hullmod, its system is Fortress Shield. a system always has to be something that is activated by pressing a button, even if it's just to launch/recall a drone, not a permanent and entirely passive effect.