Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.95.1a is out! (12/10/21); Blog post: Hyperspace Topography (10/12/22)

Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 114

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering v.1.6a - Update for 0.95.1  (Read 903619 times)

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Secret Beef Cultist
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering v.1.6a - Update for 0.95.1
« Reply #1650 on: September 20, 2022, 07:01:31 PM »

I mean, if you want me to only share the actively-developed mod with my friends and have a public version that only gets compatibility updates, I can live with that. Seems ideal for me personally.

What does everyone else think? Is Corelious right - should I stop updating the public version of DME?

MattyK

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: September 20, 2022, 08:41:55 PM »

I think Core's just being sarcastic, don't mind them.

Personally I think your mod is lovely, it really adds a little more risk to exploration and adequate reward for the effort too, those Sigma weapons absolutely slap. I've also been watching one of Rarr's VODs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX93Ksz331M
This one in particular where he starts with a Blade Breaker Cruiser and I have to say, it's super fun to watch and tempting me to do something similar.

When it comes to fighting the 'breakers, even with a specced out UAF fleet they *** slap and you have to play defensively, slowly whitting down their frigate screen and fighter spam, picking off the support cruisers one by one.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:42:31 AM by MattyK »

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Secret Beef Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: September 20, 2022, 08:56:17 PM »

I'm not actually that tilted nor is DME likely to go away, but I think it's an interesting question; who would prefer that only finished mods ever get put up on the forum, whatever 'finished' looks like? Because that's the end result of treating everybody's hobby projects like commercial games with marketing budgets and community managers; you push towards mods becoming paid labor and having infrastructure like release schedules and secrecy.

Personally, I think the one-man-band-with-jam-sessions nature of the work is part of why it has a strong authorial voice that you find compelling; it's not polished, but it's sincere and weird. More polish would remove the weirdness and the sincerity (and if I were in this to be popular and beloved, I'd be doing things very differently).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2022, 09:34:52 PM by Harmful Mechanic »

Acronen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: September 20, 2022, 09:06:21 PM »

I mean, if you want me to only share the actively-developed mod with my friends and have a public version that only gets compatibility updates, I can live with that. Seems ideal for me personally.

What does everyone else think? Is Corelious right - should I stop updating the public version of DME?

I personally appreciate the mod (your other mods too), and updates that come along. I can see how it can get annoying when people are making demands when this is an unpaid project, and just something for fun. I don't have any modding abilities myself, so I'll take whatever I can get, but I really do love a lot of the mods and really appreciate all the effort folks here put into them. Adds a whole lot of fun to the game, and I'd wager the vast majority of people really do appreciate and enjoy the updates whenever they come, they just aren't active on forums and such.

This mod wasn't one I originally used when I started playing, but ever since I started using it, it became a must have every time I play. I really love doing a Sparrowhawk start and playing as deserter, even though lately I haven't played as them, but really enjoy going into hardened warning beacon systems and bullying (or getting bullied by) the Blade Breakers. I think this next time I'll go gather all the blueprints up and sell them on the black market to the pirates, and see what chaos they can come up with. Should be a good time.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: September 21, 2022, 04:07:46 AM »

dead lol

Hey- you're being a jerk. Don't do this. It sucks. See rule #1, "Remember that Everyone Here is a Human Being", and rule #2, "No Toxicity".

If you make a pattern of this behaviour, you will be removed.

Corelious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: September 21, 2022, 05:41:40 AM »

.... I was literally laughing and saying dead over what you said to the guy on page 10.  Definitely not saying the mod is dead - it's verifiably not.  I should have clarified however, were I in your shoes I'd likely take my commentary that way as well.  My mistake.

Corelious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: September 21, 2022, 05:47:15 AM »

dead lol

Hey- you're being a jerk. Don't do this. It sucks. See rule #1, "Remember that Everyone Here is a Human Being", and rule #2, "No Toxicity".

If you make a pattern of this behaviour, you will be removed.

Yeah again, not at all what I was saying.  I will reiterate that I was laughing at his sarcasm towards the prior comment on page ten.  I understand how it looks that way had it been the only thing I ever posted, or if I had a history of making comments like that - but perhaps look at my other posts on this particular authors work and realize I have been nothing but supportive of his work - particularly Magellan.  It's intriguing though that everyone thus far hasn't read my comment and... given the context thought "maybe he means something else".  This is a good example of how herd mentality and group think works.

David

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: September 21, 2022, 06:05:04 AM »

.... I was literally laughing and saying dead over what you said to the guy on page 10.  Definitely not saying the mod is dead - it's verifiably not.  I should have clarified however, were I in your shoes I'd likely take my commentary that way as well.  My mistake.

Alright! I'm glad to hear that was your intent, but yeah, it did not come off well.

I agree, both tone and context is easily lost online. Whatever your intent, the worst interpretation of ambiguity is 100% how a comment like this is going to be interpreted (especially in light of the issue of "gamer culture" in general declaring things "dead" when they don't deliver weekly updates and etc).

I'll stop gumming up the mod topic with this business now.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 06:07:54 AM by David »

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Secret Beef Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: September 21, 2022, 09:28:43 AM »

It's intriguing though that everyone thus far hasn't read my comment and... given the context thought "maybe he means something else".  This is a good example of how herd mentality and group think works.

This is going to sound patronizing, but I've had to say this to nerds ten years my senior and I still think they didn't get it, so it's not just because you're (probably) a kid.

You're responsible for what you express, not just what you mean. If you're consistently misread, the fault doesn't lie entirely with other people. If there's no daylight between what you typed and what a raccoon or other weird little gremlin-creature would have typed with their clever little paws... remember that on the internet some fraction of what you think is Only For The Lols ironic is actually terrifyingly sincere.

Corelious

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: September 21, 2022, 01:01:16 PM »

That is a tough but fair point - and well put. Point taken.

Virescent

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1660 on: September 23, 2022, 11:10:43 AM »

Noooo please nooo. I love this mod, I especially love the Blade Breakers and I want to have moreee of them.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Secret Beef Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: September 23, 2022, 11:14:46 AM »

(It’s not going anywhere, guys, the question was rhetorical and the guy’s eaten his crow; mod's staying, updates are continuing, there’s just a lot of update to do)

More Blade Breakery is… I’m not going to say ‘no’ but the Janky Space Jerks have a very set role in my plans and already have a way bigger roster than they strictly need.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 09:45:12 PM by Harmful Mechanic »

Virescent

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1662 on: September 23, 2022, 01:10:41 PM »

(It’s not going anywhere, guys, the question was rhetorical and the guy’s eaten his crow; mods staying, updates are continuing, there’s just a lot of update to do)

More Blade Breakery is… I’m not going to say ‘no’ but the Janky Space Jerks have a very set role in my plans and already have a way bigger roster than they strictly need.
Ah right, heh.

Well since we are talking about Blade Breakers, I actually have a few questions about them...so I know that there is a certain system within the core area where a hidden BB base is. Are there any more of those hidden? Also, where do I find the aforementioned Deserters?

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Secret Beef Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: September 23, 2022, 01:14:08 PM »

To answer the last question first… despite the way it looks, there’s only one Deserter, a specific, named character (it’s the same one you play in the menu mission Hell’s Own Sun). I may rename the tech tag to make that clearer.

The hidden base is in the Hejaz system, and it’s really just some nice salvage. I’m more likely to attach any unique interaction to a location like Meridian Station.

okj

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1664 on: October 02, 2022, 04:28:22 AM »

Just realised, the S-phase dash trail effect looks just like the sandevistan effect from Edgerunner lol.
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 114