Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.95.1a is out! (12/10/21); Blog post: Hostile Activity (09/01/22)

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 111

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering v.1.6a - Update for 0.95.1  (Read 868842 times)

ErrantSingularity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: [0.9.0a] Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering v.0.9.9d
« Reply #540 on: January 08, 2019, 08:56:29 AM »

Not sure if I'm just unlucky or something's broke, but I can't find regular redacted anywhere. It's all blade breakers in every beacon system, kind of unfortunate, but their weapons are neat.

Also, how am I supposed to beat them without an hour long fight? The carriers just run for it, and if a small fast ship gets up close they get nuked by bombers. My own fighters usually get knocked down as they come in, so no luck there.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: January 08, 2019, 09:20:35 AM »

The trick I've found for Blade Breakers is to just massively over-deploy (compared to how many ships you'd need to use for any other enemy.)  My usual deployment for small blade breaker fleets - ones with no cruisers - is a pair of heavily-shielded cruisers, backed by two cruiser-grade carriers, one destroyer carrier, and choice of SO-destroyers or high-durability frigates; the total cost is a bit over a hundred supplies.  (From vanilla, the options are Tempest with hardened & extended shields & max capacitors, or possibly a restored Pather Lasher, also with hardened shields & max capacitors, or SO+UI variants of Sunders or Hammerheads.  Other mods also have some good options.)

I find their destroyer-grade carriers to be the easiest types to deal with; they don't have mobility systems and can't really run away that well.  It's mostly the cruisers and frigates that will lead you on a merry chase; and, yes, those teleporting cruisers do come with a pair of fighter bays, so maybe they're the ones you're talking about?  Against any blade breaker fleet that has more than one cruiser, I'll generally field three cruisers-carriers and use fighter strike commands; DME Normandies are the best, here.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Secret Beef Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: January 08, 2019, 09:22:13 AM »

Are the export and refit variants no longer available from Independent markets? I've only ever seen then in exploration caches.

I removed the old faction files that integrated those skins for the 0.9 update. I'll add them back in when I remember to.

Not sure if I'm just unlucky or something's broke, but I can't find regular redacted anywhere. It's all blade breakers in every beacon system, kind of unfortunate, but their weapons are neat.

What version? If you're not using the current version, I may have already fixed what you're complaining about. I'm getting sick of hearing this, so I'm posting a test below.

1) Make sure you're using the current release version of the mod, and that you generated the sector you're playing in with it. The current version should generate five semi-random Sigma systems, and assign another three to five procgen constellations a Blade Breaker presence. If you're not sure your version is current, redownload, reinstall, and start a new save.

2) Turn on devmode (using Console Commands; ctrl-backspace, then type 'devmode', enter), and turn off sensors (ctrl-z).

3) Enter hyperspace. That will reveal all the warning beacons (ruining exploration I know; use a save copy if you want), and you should see red-orange warning beacons for Remnants, green for Blade Breakers. Current version also gives their beacons a unique icon.

4) Count the beacons. If you see more than five green beacons, you either generated your current save with an old version, or something is messed up.

I have never seen a version of the sector that had no Remnant systems in testing, full-size or small. If you can't see any red-orange beacons, take a screenshot of the whole, revealed map and post it here. I'd like to see it.

Also, how am I supposed to beat them without an hour long fight? The carriers just run for it, and if a small fast ship gets up close they get nuked by bombers. My own fighters usually get knocked down as they come in, so no luck there.

I can't do anything about vanilla ship behavior that Remnants and Domain drones also share. The current version of the mod has some tweaks to top speeds and shield efficiency that should help. I generally get these complaints from people whose skill is hard to assess; known skilled players don't seem to have trouble learning to kill Blade Breakers. Or they don't complain to me about it.

I've never had an hour-long fight with them. I've had a few big ones that lasted about twenty minutes, and yeah, occasional straggler chases that weren't the most fun. If you think there's something really wrong, record some video, and post it here.

I'm open to broader design solutions as well; if some of the frigate hulls just need to be reworked so they're easier to kill, that's an option.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2019, 11:09:24 AM by Soren »
People need societies, but they don't necessarily need nations.

ErrantSingularity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #543 on: January 08, 2019, 09:47:33 AM »

Turns out, I was just extremely unlucky. All the blade breakers were distributed evenly around the sector, with beacons and sigmas and all, while all the regular redacted were in a little cluster in the northeast and one southeast, which explains why I hadn't seem them at all yet.

I did just start using this mod this morning, I'm probably not fully used to the Blade Breakers yet. The cruiser carriers were the ones just running away from me and being tedious to kill, though this comes down to my lashers all being dead before the chase. I love the DME aesthetic, and especially their Normandie. Heron is no longer my favourite ship, Normandie is more awesome in every way. Haven't gotten to use the capitals yet though, maybe that huge command carrier may be my new favourite ship.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Secret Beef Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 08, 2019, 09:54:32 AM »

I'm glad you're having fun. Sorry if I came on a little strong; I've been getting vague complaints like this since I implemented procedural generation stuff, and it's never been behavior that shows up in my own tests, so there's not a lot I can do about it. I fix what I can where it's unambiguously a problem, but I'm just one guy drinking from a very mixed stream of feedback. Detailed feedback helps, some evidence of actual testing helps.

ErrantSingularity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #545 on: January 08, 2019, 10:12:02 AM »

I'll find myself a Baikal or two then go at the blade breakers again, maybe bring more huskys for chasing if need be. Really loving their heavy weapons, feels like proper artillery.

validfrom

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: January 08, 2019, 11:22:13 AM »

Are the export and refit variants no longer available from Independent markets? I've only ever seen then in exploration caches.

I removed the old faction files that integrated those skins for the 0.9 update. I'll add them back in when I remember to.

Great, looking forwards to it  :)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: January 08, 2019, 11:58:04 AM »

Some things that... maybe don't need to be fixed, per se, but that I feel like noting:

1: Having pirate or luddic path stations spawn in blade breaker systems is kindof hilarious; all you actually need to do to kill them is just get into the system and then wait a bit.  Basically zero chance of collecting bounties on these, though.
2: Getting into the sigma-distorted systems can be an issue, though; I typically see anywhere from seven to twelve blade breaker fleets orbiting any given jump point, which is just too much; if I didn't have transverse jump, I'd need a full end-game warfleet to have a chance.  It feels like they've got a larger fleet presence than even the high-threat hardened-warning-beacon systems.  It's entirely possible that this is intended, but it's definitely a change from the relatively light blade-breaker presence they had when they were fully hand-crafted.
3: The guardian station thingies are extremely weak compared to regular blade breaker fleets; roughly on par with a pirate station that only has one segment up and running.  They don't support each other, and there are rarely any fleets around to support them either.  I would've assumed that, at a minimum, you'd have to engage all three at once.  Changing the blade breaker patrol paths to favor station defense over swarming the jump points might be a thing worth doing?
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #548 on: January 08, 2019, 12:33:15 PM »

Jumped into the system after installing Nex and wow, the DME is on the warpath.
Spoiler
[close]

ErrantSingularity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #549 on: January 08, 2019, 01:41:16 PM »

That's beautiful, so much for them being passive I guess. They're out for blood.

fatrat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #550 on: January 08, 2019, 02:24:34 PM »

Jumped into the system after installing Nex and wow, the DME is on the warpath.
Spoiler
[close]

Wow, what did they do to *** DME off? O_o

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #551 on: January 09, 2019, 07:17:33 AM »

Tereshkova is seems to have become a lot rarer in the market.

ErrantSingularity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #552 on: January 10, 2019, 03:05:25 AM »

One weird thing I was noticing while playing vanilla+DME only, was that DME bounties came in rapidly, but were never on the bounties intel page. I'd still find the people randomly while exploring pirate areas, still get money for them, but the bounty would be impossible to track.

That's the only problem I found after another day of playing the mod.

Also, the DME energy weapons are awesome, especially the repeaters, they're the nice inbetween of pulse laser and plasma cannon that I've been looking for. Always gonna go to DME for my energy weapons now.

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #553 on: January 10, 2019, 12:08:10 PM »

Shellback AC's lack the code to utilize hybrid turrets.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • Secret Beef Cultist
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: January 10, 2019, 04:15:16 PM »

Shellback AC's lack the code to utilize hybrid turrets.

This is nonsensical. They install into and fire from Hybrid mounts all the time without issue. What does this concept salad mean?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:44:27 PM by Soren »
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 111